Linksys E7350 OpenWrt install

Try this
http://192.168.1.1/fwupdate.html
and upload a factory image, never a kernal or a sysupgrade

It stopped at 42% with a failed message and restarts. Do i have to use a tftp client? I don't even know where to download or how to proceed.

I tried that too and it's loaded a pink page 404 not found, saying file not found

1 Like

Factory reset the E7350 and try the RT1800 firmware again.

It was worth trying at least.

My bad i pressed the delete button instead of edit by mistake and Okay i did the factory reset and it went back to 1.1.00.015. I didnt expect that at all so i try to flash the ax1800 firmware and it didnt work. But when i flashed the openwrt.bin, it was successful, so now what?

which openwrt.bin did you flash?
Is the firmware version still 1.1.00.015 or is it now 1.1.00.032.

The E7350 and the RT1800 are dual partition devices, Openwrt will only ever boot from Partition 1.
There's no way to work out what partition is currently booting without connecting up a UART serial connection.

If your Openwrt.bin flashing is to Partition 2, then you will keep rebooting into the stock firmware.

This.. but it still boots back into linksys firmware.

https://downloads.openwrt.org/snapshots/targets/ramips/mt7621/openwrt-ramips-mt7621-linksys_e7350-squashfs-factory.bin

Its on 1.1.00.015

So,

Lets assume that 1.1.00.015 is on Partition 1, and that the Openwrt Factory image is successfully flashing to Partition 2.

From here we need to install stock firmware to Partition 2, for the bootloader to choose Partition 2 to boot from, and then install the Openwrt Factory image to Partition 1.

Options available:
Connect a UART serial connection
Try flashing stock 1.1.00.032 unsigned and cross your fingers that it takes and boots from Partition 2

You have nothing to lose by trying the 1.1.00.032 firmware upgrade again.

Okay what the uart tool thatll work for the e7350?

SSH to the router and type printenv bootpart.

That's not enough: you have to be sure that the bootloader won't swap active partition. Reboot several times, at least 4. There is a possibility that the switch occurs at the 4th, and that you swap back to partition 2, hence Linksys firmware.
See this page for explanation (yes that's another model, but possibily the same bootloader).

A factory snapshot doesn't include Luci, so you won't have any graphical interace at reboot. Are you aware, and do you know how to add it via SSH?

Yes and no. As far ssh @root 192.168.1.1 for openwrt then yes. But from factory? Then no

So, as mentionned, you won't get any GUI (Luci) after installing the factory image. You need to manually install Luci with SSH, of create a custom build that already includes Luci (better choice).

Okay where can i find that? Or matter of fact is there anybody that had created a custom build for the e7350? When i do the ssh it says the connection refused.

I would order a CP2102 usb UART serial

Here: https://firmware-selector.openwrt.org/
Choose "snapshot" on the right, then enter "E7350". Choose the one model that is displayed in the dropdown. Then, below where it says "Customize installed packages and/or first boot script", click that text/arrow, and two new text boxes will appear. In the upper one that already has many packages listed, enter "luci" at the end of all the text (after "wpad-basic-mbedtls"). Then, click on "Request Build", wait for it to finish, and then scroll down below and download the custom factory image.

1 Like

I'd be willing to try Serial connection if someone can tell me the exact commands I need to issue in order to flash the openwrt.bin . I've bricked a NETGEAR Router before, so I have the serial cable, but I need the commands and pin layout for serial. Oh and after upgrading to 1.1.00.032, even factory resetting doesn't bring my device down to any previous firmware, so I am on 1.1.00.032 now.