Is there any dev working on the NanoPi R2S

Here are some openssl benchmarks I did a while ago on this device if anyone is interested in its crypto performance: OpenWrt-based pihole alternative + more

1 Like

i order from SmartFly Tech CO.,Ltd. aliexpress the Mar. 28 2020,
and it's still on the way

I have started to port to OpenWrt from armbian, since i don't have the device yet, i am unable to make any progress.

Reviews are welcomed.
Thanks.

1 Like

Since i don't have the device yet, and can't confirm the code works. I won't push any commits to github.

Thank you.

Don't delete the repo yet, I was about to clone it and test on my device, lol

1 Like

don't worry about that, i can provide you with test builds. It should be ready in 2 days.

Thanks.

1 Like

I think you are missing u-boot dts files, also bl31 for 3328, please add it on top of the existing PR, also there are u-boot patches that prevent the need of python-dev and swig on the host machine

1 Like

Can you check the UART output?

You have to switch RX and TX to get the signal.

I got UART output (on Windows, PuTTY) by setting the baudrate to 1500000.
For anyone debugging, I can recommend to start with a known good FriendlyWRT image to check your UART, then switch to debugging the OpenWRT builds.
With @jayanta525's latest build, I get to this:

U-Boot TPL 2020.04 (May 08 2020 - 15:03:18)
DDR4, 333MHz
BW=32 Col=10 Bk=4 BG=2 CS0 Row=15 CS=1 Die BW=16 Size=1024MB
Trying to boot from BOOTROM
Returning to boot ROM...

U-Boot SPL 2020.04 (May 08 2020 - 15:03:18 +0000)
Trying to boot from MMC1
spl: mmc init failed with error: -95
Trying to boot from MMC1
spl: mmc init failed with error: -95
SPL: failed to boot from all boot devices
### ERROR ### Please RESET the board ###

It’s weird. Mine has output at 115200, only thing needed to do is switch RX and TX.

@SvenH, may I ask which usb to ttl are you using that support 1500000? I bought several yet none of them support that particular baud rate.

I use a CH340 device under Windows. With PuTTY, I get garbage at 115200 baud, but it works at 1500000. I got the number from http://wiki.t-firefly.com/ROC-RK3328-CC/debug.html

did you patched the uboot with your board dts, and it seems atf is not loading (bl31)

I have not done anything, I am just testing other people's builds. Let me know if there are other builds I can test.

I'm planning on buying the R2S and using it together a switch and an Ubiquiti AP, but i heard that the R2S runs so hot. Are you guys having problems with temps?
SQM should works flashely in this thing.

1 Like

i am planning to do the same setup. not sure wich ap i will use ubiquiti or mikrotik

I've got the Unifi AC LR with openwrt. Here are some words i wrote in other post. I recomend using it with no -ct firmware/drivers.

This week i bought the Ubiquiti Unifi-UAP-LR. I had doubt if i should had buy the comfast AP or de Ubiquiti, but finally i went for the Ubiquiti. I can tell you that the wifi signal is amazing. It can perfectly double the coverage of a regular router, and the stability its just amazing.
Near the AP i get 450 Mbps over 5ghz in my S10+. On 2.4ghz i get like 100, but the phone only runs 1 stream. Even when the phone has 0 of 4 coverage stripes it works fine withouth increased ping.

What make me decide to go for the Ubiquiti is that i couldnt find reviews of any AC comfast AP, and probably the build quality of the Ubiquiti its better. I know it doesnt have MU-MIMO and other things, but i don't think the comfast could do better job. I wont never know.

You might want to buy a third party aluminum case for passive cooling.

I used a Pi3 GPIO serial to get 1500000. I did not have any USB adapters that supported above 500k.

1 Like

Hello, i managed to get OpenWrt to boot on NanoPi R2S using friendlyarm/kernel-rockchip with some changes to dts. Please note that this is at its initial stage and performance degradation might be observed. Please report any issue in my github.

Thanks.
Release: https://github.com/jayanta525/openwrt-nanopi-r2s/releases

5 Likes