Is there any dev working on the NanoPi R2S

Do you have one? I searched and only found two ones but they are quite expensive (like 25$)

I have this one, it definitely worth it though.

It's the one i saw. That web page doesn't send to spain, so i can only buy it on aliexpress, and it cost like 25$. Sad.

provide more information.

the packet drop interface, is it eth0 or eth1, is it WAN or LAN.

I will need more information. eth0 wan and eth1 lan isn't sufficient. Which interface is having packet drops every second.

Seems like you're using a Netgear managed switch, why is both lan and wan connected to untagged ports belonging to the same vlan?

Post your network configuration.

which interface is having packet drops.

refer to this

Testing found another problem, CPU imbalance scheduling, cpu0 pressure is very high.

1 Like

that is softirq, its meant to be single core, may you downloaded something that used up your bandwidth and for NAT your ksoftirq/0 got to ~60% usage.

Use irqbalance.

I found that we can solder an SPI flash chip, so we wouldn't need SD card and we could run the nanopi without the SD card.
NanoPi_R2S-layout
You can find this SPI flash chips for less than 1$, for example this one with 64MB of flash. https://es.aliexpress.com/item/32820456867.html

1 Like

If booting directly from a flash chip is anywhere near as difficult as implementing USB boot on the RPi 4B then someone is in for a hell of a ride to get that working.

Booting from the SPI isn't that tough.

1. Add spi node in DTS
  2. Modify uboot
  3. Add kernel configs
  4. Modify openwrt makefile to generate squashfs images.
  5. mtd write images with an operating system.

I will look into supporting nanopi r2s with SPI flash.

2 Likes

SPI boot should work as long as u-boot and kernel (+ device tree) has support for it. While the u-boot that Armbian used can successfully detect my W25Q256 chip (only the lower half is usable due to the lack of 4-byte addressing support), I haven't tried actually reading/writing to the flash in u-boot yet.

SD card is very convenient, SPI flash chip need to welding is not necessary to use.

it is entirely possible to boot from the SPI. I had an R1S. I would post my 1,189 line boot log from the serial console, but nobody wants to see that. Yes it has U-Boot + .scr file you can edit/replace.

SDCard = $9 for an EVO 64GB last time I bought one. The easiest boot media.

eMMC pluggable socket = higher performance and reliability than SDCard, but R1S/R1S doesnt have a nice friendly upright socket. Prices range from $29 to $99 for 64GB 5.1 eMMC. Get yourself an M4V2 and stop wasting time.

SPI = the most frustrating, illogical, poorly documented PLEASE-BRICK-ME option. I dont care if its $1 or $99, I hates it. Quick, are you fdt or dtb? You're gonna *#$#(% up at some point.

How much did it improve temps? My 2 NanoPi were sent yesterday, so i'm gonna have to wait a month to test things

The temperature 30-50 degrees Celsius

2 Likes

Please have a look at this topic where I am sharing initial (very promising) test results of OpenWRT on the R2S -- thanks @jayanta525

3 Likes

Todo: CONFIG_IRQBALANCE

2 Likes

Is this based on the irq optimize script @jayanta525 added or some other tweaking you have done?