Is there a way to unbrick an r8000?

I've flashed june 03/17 firmware and somewhere during the process I believe my router bricked. On windows I tried tftp but the router was unreachable. I am not able to ssh into the router and when using ping I get host is unreachable.

I do have an adafruit console cable to use.
I also own an r7000 which also bricked and there is an unbrick guide on another forum.

Would the steps be similar for the r8000?
Would there be anyone willing to do a write-up?

Netgear has a recovery procedure that was successful with someone wanting to go back from DD-WRT to stock firmware. Maybe you can give it a try, go back to stock, then reflash LEDE again after:

1 Like

hook up your serial cable.

setup a tftp server and point to the directory where you have the image for the r8000

open putty. select "serial" make sure you have the right com port and baud rate(115200)

turn on router. interrupt the bootup when prompted, if memory serves me correct, it is ctrl c.

type "tftpd" into the putty window.

use the tftp server and "put" the image file.

1 Like

were you able to unbrick your R7000 and R8000 ?

This works on totally bricked router it seems.
Download nmrpflash and stock firmware.
Plug computer in router and run:

sudo ./nmrpflash -i eth0 -f R8000-V1.0.4.84_10.1.84/R8000-V1.0.4.84_10.1.84.chk

reboot router and it will start to flash it.

it will spin a few min then reboot again when it tells you to (wait a few min until its ready, might be you will need to reset once) and login to stock firmware then re-flash openwrt from web management.

I had to deal with this problem recently and i was having major problems trying to flash using nmprflash in windows. In the end i had to quickly switch the router on and off while nmrpflash was running and boom it starts flashing.