Is there a easy to use Mesh add-on?

I see there are currently 3 mesh add-ons for openwrt, but which one is easy to use and configure? I prefer setting things up in the web UI...

Thanks!

Which ones (I actually though there were many more)?

4, not 3. Sorry about that.

1 Like

What the use case, specifically, don't just answer "mesh" :slight_smile:

Well....building a mesh network is the goal.
I saw online that its better then making points into repeaters, so thats why i want to make a mesh network.

I'm asking since people have the tendency of calling pretty much everything, where the
clients can move freely within a wireless network, for mesh, no matter the physical setup
(wired / wireless ) of the devices providing the wifi.

But you're good, carry on :wink:

Any idea which one is the most eady to configure? Is there none that have a easy to use web setup without using cli? (Or as least cli as possible)

I prefer OLSR, but that's not a mesh technology for client roaming (it's more of a self healing routable network). So your choice depends on your use case.

Hmmm...
My use case is simply having 3 or 4 points, where 1 is wired to the wan router of my ISP and runs wireguard to protect my whole network.
But my apartment is quite wide and i have a 500m2 garden where i also want internet, because we like to relax outdoor in summer and i have some smart bulbs in the garden, and 2 wifi cameras that are at the edge of the garden.
I currently have a repeater, but i notice my cameras lag quite a bit.

1 Like

First you need to read the wiki documents in the web page image you posted and compare what you read with what you want to achieve.
Here is a link to the wiki:

The first paragraph of 802.11s Based Wireless Mesh Networking summarises simply:

802.11s is an open-source standard for connecting wireless devices without having to set up infrastructure. It operates on Layer 2 and makes sure that all nodes can see each other on a bridged Layer 2 network (as if they were all plugged into a switch). Any Layer 3 infrastructure will work on top of this.

Packages to enhance the basic layer 2 802.11 mesh with sophisticated layer 3 support have been developed, particularly where multiple Internet gateways and partial cabled backhaul are required (eg Batman, Bird, OLSR etc.). These enhanced packages are targeted more for large infrastructure scenarios eg. city scale, rather than a typical home mesh application. In contrast, a basic 802.11s mesh serves all scenarios from home mesh through to high resilience neighbourhood WISP applications.

The simplest way to get a mesh backhaul working is to use Luci to configure a mesh interface on each mesh node, then install the mesh11sd package on each node (no additional or cli configuration needed for a basic mesh).

1 Like

But backhaul is using a wired setup, right? I would like to keep everything wireless, except the main router thats running wireguard and wired connected to thr wan router.
Thanks for the help so far guys, it helps a lot.

Backhaul is the network used for connecting nodes.
So, in a pure mesh network, the backhaul is wireless.
In a cabled network, obviously it is "cable".

You are describing a typical 802.11s mesh network.

Not exactly:

In OLSR, an Ethernet interface can be meshed too.

But the OP seems to be specifically referring to roaming-WiFi-type meshing - not "mesh routing". *

*-E.g. if all devices spoke OLSR, it would work too for the OP's use case.

Indeed, but I was trying to keep it simple and not bring "hybrid" backhauls into the mix :wink:

3 Likes

Luci is the web interface, right? it supports creating mesh points, thats awesome, thanks a lot for the assistance :slight_smile:
So first configure the mesh, then install the mesh11sd package, got it.

Well actually, the order does not matter....

1 Like