Installing OpenWRT in a X86 System in a partition, having both WIN11 and OpenWRT

Hello,

Im trying to install OpenWRT in a X86 device it is the ACEMAGICIAN T8 PLUS 8GB 256GB

What I'm trying to do is make a 256gb (of 20GB approx) partition on the drive, having OpenWRT and Windows 11 on the same device, later choosing which one I want to boot, using GRUB (Open WRT by default).

The problem I'm encountering is that the Etcher and Rufus programs don't recognize the 20GB partition I've made on the SSD (they only detect USBs) therefore, and at the moment, I'm not able to do what I want.

All this, I want to do so as not to waste a disk that has 256GB of space when with 20GB, OpenWRT should work MORE than correctly.

Someone give me a hand please?

I get wanting to dual-boot (I have a couple of machines which dual-boot between Windows and LInux Mint and Ubuntu), but I'm struggling to see a use-case for dual-booting between Windows and OpenWRT.

What is your requirement for being able to do so, and might there be an alternative way to achieve your goal?

1 Like

It's not easy, you can't use the premade openwrt images, and you need to install a boot loader, like grub2.

Using the images would wipe the win11 install.

Easiest would be to simply boot openwrt off an USB flash drive.

3 Likes

I guess install ubuntu, then windows, install grub automatically (when ubuntu) and then install OpenWRT on the ubuntu partition, so I would have grub and windows 11 at the same time. But i dont know if this is viable.

Thats not a problem, I can keep the disk without any operating system and then do what I have to do to have the Duak Boot. doing it the way I commented above

do you see it feasible?

With a lot of manual work, it' possible. You'll have to change the entries for grub by hand and do other modifications.
But i don't see the gain of this. This system should become your powerful router, yes?
When you reboot into another OS, your internet connection is gone.

1 Like

yup, but, i can use the rest of the disk space for a "Mini NAS" for example or another thing. the main question of the thread was so that I wouldn't have 230Gb left unused for anything, it's an incredible waste of space in the disk.

For this, you don't need either Ubuntu nor Windows.
If you search the forum, there're solutions to use the free disk space for NAS or just additional storage under OpenWrt.

What is the maximum space that OpenWRT can use?

I am surprised that it is able to use 250gb of space...

the question is, how to install OpenWRT on the entire disk, I have seen that OpenWRT partitions can be expanded, but are there packages that allow you to create a NAS in OpenWRT?

Not OpenWrt itself. Because it doesn't need that much space.
But if you set up one or several additional partitions, you could later just mount them.
There're some topics about this on this forum.
Please use the search function.

2 Likes

What's the largest HDD you can find/think of ?

NAS is just software, yes you can.

Openwrts default image size is 100mb, but you can go a lot larger.

1 Like

My X86 device has a 256 SSD or M.2 (dont remember exactly)

Is there an .IPK that allows you to do NAS function?

That brings me to another question, how do I install a package when the x86 device has no internet? The image I downloaded to install OpenWRT on X86 was

openwrt-22.03.5-x86-64-generic-ext4-combined-efi.img

but I don't know if it's really the correct one, when i booted it, it doesnt have the wireless menu option. As for the installation... it's explained in the forum but I don't understand it too well , this was the one that said it was to be installed on SSDs, NVME, etc, that's why I chose it. But if you think there is a better one, I am in time to download and install it

Depends on your definition of NAS, but if it's just file sharing, yes, there's for instance samba.

If the NIC drivers required for you hw doesn't come with the image, you can add them using the online image builder.
Add them to the customized list of packages at
https://firmware-selector.openwrt.org/?version=22.03.5&target=x86%2F64&id=generic

It should be.

Your device probably came with an intel ax200 or ax210, they're useless as APs under Linux.

Get the NICs up and running booting from the flash drive, then, when you know what you need, write the same image to the disk.

1 Like

Just that, yes.

So here i can build an image for my own needs? I suppose i have to choose the first option

When i check drivers (in windows 11) this is what i get:

driver ethernet
x2 (2 Ethernet Ports)

wifi driver

And this is the Wifi driver... but I have no idea which one I should choose to make it compatible with OpenWRT in my device

Yes, you want the combined EFI image.

The driver doesn't tell us anything about the HW, you want the VID and PID from device manager.

The story around Realtek wifi is usually the same as for Intel, if possible, even worse.

1 Like

Dont understand this... i had checked all the options about the ethernet and wifi drivers in device manager and i dont see anything like VID and PID. Where do i can found it?

Sorry for the ignorance....

Ethernet 1:

Ethernet 2:

Wifi:

Not going to bother with the wifi, but the wired should be working out of the box, according to X86 RTL8168B help - #2 by slh.

Just boot the combined EFI image from a flash drive, see where it gets you.

thats the thing, i need wifi to connect to a Mobile Wifi Hostpot to download all of i need. :sweat_smile:

Im in a work travel and thats what i have...

Yeah, that is probably not going to happen.

It'll be easier to tether the phone using USB.

You'll need to add the packages listed to the image builder package list.