Install OpenWrt on TP-LINK Archer c6 v3.0 BR

What is the best way currently to install OpenWrt on this version of the device?

patch accepted in firmware-utils git.

1 Like

You need to use openwrt master. Either use a daily build, or download and build your own. Now that the change in firmware-utils has been accepted, it is only a matter of time for the images to install properly from the C6v3(BR) tp-link web interface.

That said, I will eventually attempt to backport the C6v3 (and firmware-utils patches) to 21.02, but due to the kernel, I am not sure it will be anywhere as fast. I've head that the 5.10 kernel in master works MUCH better with the C6v3 chipset, than the older kernel in 21.02. If it is much slower, I will not submit that backport to openwrt.

On Archer c6 v3.2 kernel 5.10 is causing random reboots when mt7621 HW offload is enabled (see here).

I solved this issue either disabling mt7621 HW offload or rolling back to kernel 5.4.

Kernel 5.4 with the latest mt76 driver is working very well for me, except some wireless devices occasionally losing connection due to this issue.

Thanks @hmh.

I just tested here in my 2 Archer C6 v3 (BR) and it is working perfectly.

What link download openwrt ?

or

Hi,

I have firmware snapshot installed on the Archer C6 v3 model (BR), is it possible to apply the stable firmware of the A3 v3 model in the webgui?

Thanks

yes, it would be.

might need to reset the configuration though, if the snapshot isn't v21.

Thanks,

It would be:

xxx_squashfs-factory.bin
or
xxx_squashfs-sysupgrade.bin

sysupgrade, factory is usually for migrating to openwrt.

1 Like

How often should I download a snapshot and update my router?

I never do, I use stable.

But the packages, especially the kmods, are bound to the kernel, which would have changed on every image generation.

I see. I can update to stable from snapshot?

yes, you can.

Since Archer C6 v3 has no stable build, could I use the Archer A6 v3 instead?

https://firmware-selector.openwrt.org/?version=21.02.2&target=ramips%2Fmt7621&id=tplink_archer-a6-v3

listen to @dsouza

I would not recommend using C6U firmware on the C6, it is a different hardware since it has an USB port.

A6 v3 and C6 v3.2 US are the same hardware. At least I can confirm that flashing OpenWRT A6 v3 firmware on the C6 v3.2 US (sold here in Brazil) works ok.

1 Like

Thanks for the info.

On my router its says Archer C6(BR) V 3.0.

I can't find any info on whether its the same as C6 V3.2 US

I also live in Brazil. For some reason TP Link started selling the Archer C6 v3.2 US version here (the ones I got) and then moved to the C6 v3 BR.

They are the same hardware, but they have a different TP-Link ID. This has already been resolved as previously posted by @hmh here:

This has already been fixed in the master builds, but I'm not sure if this was backported to the 21.02 branch. The above change is required for the first flash from stock to OpenWRT firmware (using the factory image) on the C6 3.0 BR.

1 Like