IEI PUZZLE-M902 > Trying Uart

After flash by some firmware and reboot, my M902 no response and I get below message in TTL...
What can I do now? Thanks.

BootROM - 2.03
Starting CP-0 IOROM 1.07
Booting from SPI NOR flash 1 (0x32)
Error: no valid header till end of media
Error: Failed boot attempt 01. error = 0x041

BootROM - 2.03
Starting CP-0 IOROM 1.07
Error: Failed boot attempt 02. error = 0x018

BootROM - 2.03
Starting CP-0 IOROM 1.07
Error: Failed boot attempt 03. error = 0x018

BootROM - 2.03
Starting CP-0 IOROM 1.07
Error: Failed boot attempt 04. error = 0x018

Trying Uart..

Some..... ?

I forgoted which one...

Too bad, since we're no mind readers.

Was that firmware openwrt?

https://firmware-selector.openwrt.org/?version=21.02.3&target=mvebu%2Fcortexa72&id=iei_puzzle-m902

There isn't much info on the device information page, but reading between the lines, it seems that you start with an SD card installation and then use a sysupgrade image from there.

What specific image did you download and what sequence of events got you to your current state?

[SDCARD (SQUASHFS)]

Just upgrade and reboot...

1 Like

While I cannot say with certainty, it seems that you may have damaged your bootloader by trying to flash the SD card image to the device directly. As I said above, I think the SD card image was to supposed to be written to a card... insert the card, boot the device, and then use the sysupgrade image to write to the internal storage.

I could be wrong about the specifics of the upgrade process, but your boot log does seem to confirm that the bootloader is not working properly anymore. You will probably need to find a copy of the bootloader itself (possibly part of the stock firmware image??) along with documentation about how to recover the device from this state. With any luck, someone on these forums may have experience with your router... but I'd start searching the internet (specifically the manufacturer's website (support site/forums), among other places).

1 Like

@hkitsewh can you tell us where did you buy your Puzzle M902 ?

original commit install, rather sparse and no trouble shooting. Might want to ping daniel who has done all follow up commits.

Unfortunately
you screwed up SPI NOR FLASH
Need to apply for RMA

I can backup the SPI NOR FLASH of my machine for you
but that will have my machine's mac address
So I can't help

You should still apply for an RMA

Write the image to a SD card then try to boot the card.

Note that the SD images on the server are compressed with gzip (.gz extension) so they have to be uncompressed before writing to the card. The Linux command below will do both in one step by piping the output of gzip to the input of dd.

gzip -cd IMAGEFILE.img.gz | dd of=/dev/SD_CARD_DEVICE bs=4M

M901/M902
EMMC has a partition layout
If do it the way you do
In a normal working M901/M902
What you can get is a brick that needs an RMA

Because of this stupid thing, I already did it
(a few months ago)

Just had some issue after updating the device. Got some instructions from the manufacturer and I have added them to the device Wiki page.