How to setup VLANs on OpenWrt for Linksys WRT1900AC

I am attempting to help a friend setup VLANs on their OpenWRT router. They have a Linksys WRT1900AC and I have PFsense as my router. I understand how to do it in PFsense and its easy but I am all confused on OpenWRT. This router has 2 CPUs and I don't know what to tag on what. Could someone help me? I plan to use 1 port for all the VLANs and I will tell my friend that they need to get a Managed Switch to use it properly.

Look out for the VLAN section. For your device v1 cpu/eth0 is for LAN tagging.
If you want to add another VLAN you have to set cpu/eth0/vid=1 always as "tagged" to indicate that it is for LAN otherwise the cpu would not know if it is meant for LAN or WAN (cpu/eth1/vid=2). Then you have just to set the LAN ports to your needs.

1 Like

Would I tag each LAN port as tagged? also how would I set the firewall to prevent vlans from communication from each other?

As you need. If you connect a plain device (pc/phone/whatever) which is not aware of tags you would not tag it. If you connect another router/managed switch you would probably tag it.

For firewalling you just create an new interface assigning your newly created vlan and create after a new firewall zone attaching your new interface and set the the zone rules according to your needs.

Edit:
If you need more detailed help, you need to describe your scenario. You could search the forum also. There are a lot of threads about VLANs. E. g. Firewall VLAN Setup Help (recently). That can give you an idea.