How do I update from Davidc502 to newer build?

Dusted off an WRT 1900AC v1 and wanted to update to a newer version of OpenWrt before giving it to a friend to use

Attempted to do a sysupgrade via the GUI but it complained.

Device linksys,mamba not supported by this image Supported devices: linksys,wrt1900ac-v1 armada-xp-linksys-mamba linksys,mamba - Image version mismatch: image 2.0, device 1.0. Please wipe config during upgrade (force required) or reinstall. Reason: Partition design has changed compared to older versions (up to 19.07) due to kernel size restrictions. Upgrade via sysupgrade mechanism is not possible, so new installation via factory style image is required. Image check failed. 

The uploaded image file does not contain a supported format. Make sure that you choose the generic image format for your platform.

Looking on instructions to flash to factory firmware and then to a newer stable version of OpenWrt.

Thx

possibly

Thanks. Will look into that.

Back in 2021, if I remember correctly, did a dd-wrt -> factory -> openwrt 21.02.0-rc3 on another WRT1900AC v1

Today attempted the SSH method and changed to boot partition on the the Davidc502 build but that resulted in the ORANGE blinking light. Thankfully ON OFF ON OFF ON OFF worked and reverted to the previous boot partition.

What build do you recommend for the WRT1900AC v1? I'm guessing the WiFi is still the weak spot with the unit and OpenWrt?

master if radios are important, been a few upgrades to mwlwifi as of late.

2 Likes

I'm treading lightly in an attempt to not brick the device.

I found the following post and it suggests that to upgrade from 19.xx to a new firmware that a forced sysupgrade of a _____________linksys_wrt1900ac-v1-squashfs-factory.img can been done vi the the GUI.

Is this what you were recommending to do to overcome the size issue?

Yes, WiFi functionality is import. What firmware should I use?

Thanks for your input and guidance.

Flash a current Snapshot factory.img forced. It has latest wifi updates that have been beneficial.

Take a backup of your existing config for reference. There have been significant changes since 19.07.

There is also a community snapshot build targeting these devices here.

Thanks for the verification of the procedure.

Was able to flash from Davidc502 build to OpenWrt 23.05.0 without bricking the WRT1900AC v1.

For the Noob's such as myself:

System --> Backup / Flash Firmware --> Flash new firmware image (Flash image...)

uncheck keep configuration
check force
click the button to start the flash process
hold your breath

WiFi seems to be much improved on the WRT1900AC v1 with OpenWrt 23.05.0.

Will see how things go over the next week.

Thanks again.

Just to be clear, the mwlwifi updates are not yet to be found in anything other than a master image.

Can you make any recommendations regarding OpenWrt firmware for best WiFi performance on a wrt1900ac v1?

You have 3 options atm to get the most current mwlwifi updates.

• Roll your own
  • Use a current OpenWrt SNAPSHOT here add LuCI.
  • Use the Community build with LuCI

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.