How can I reset my router after a bad '/etc/config/dhcp' change?

I was trying to forward a particular IP to a particular device by MAC. I followed the instructions provided here. First I sshed into the router and edited the /etc/config/dhcp file by adding this to the end...

config host
        option ip           '192.168.0.49'
        option mac       'Whatever'
        option name     'Robot Brain'

But now when I restart the router the networks start but I get no internet and I can't ssh or log into the admin console. I tried resetting (holding the button for 30 secs) and everything else I can think of but no luck. The router is an Archer C5 v1 (https://openwrt.org/toh/tp-link/tl-wdr7500).

Is there any way to unbrick this thing?

30 seconds may be too long. Try this:

Turn on openwrt router for a minute.
Press Reset button for 10 seconds and 'immediately' release button as soon as LEDs change colour.

https://openwrt.org/docs/guide-user/troubleshooting/failsafe_and_factory_reset

1 Like

Tried for just 10 secs but I didn't see anything change color

I can push the button a lot on boot and get the sun (?) icon to flash but I still can't ssh and I don't see a gateway when I run ipconfig

The TFTP debrick worked I would recommend the youtube video Fi0pC_ON5Vo

if you are getting a flashing icon (which is probably a 'world'/globe as a symbol for the internet), you probably did manage to get failsafe mode working (hopefully). You have to manually set your IP address on your host computer.

IP address: 192.168.1.10 (anything other than 192.168.1.1, but within the subnet)
Subnet mask: 255.255.255.0
Gateway/Router: 192.168.1.1

Then try to ping and/or ssh into the router.

EDIT: looks like you got it sorted out a different way.

1 Like

Failsafe mode or TFTP recovery, as explained in detail in the wiki article that you linked.

I ended having to reflash using the TFTP(?) method.

If your problem is solved, please consider marking this topic as [Solved]. See How to mark a topic as [Solved] for a short how-to.

Try to connect with a fixed IP address, it might be that your router started but that your DHCP server didn't.

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.