Help me figure out why I have gaming latency

What role does upstream congestion play in all of this? I spoke to a tech from my ISP that came out last week to diagnose the issue (could not do so), but he said it could be an issue with upstream bandwidth being saturated, so that packets were delayed or being dropped. He told me that my specific node was oversubscribed with ~300 subscribers. Between these subscribers, about 108mbps of upstream bandwidth was being shared. He said that unfortunately the ISP had no plans to invest in perhaps doing a node split or making fiber available in my neighborhood in the short term.

Potentially a lot, however this would be quite apparent in mtrs/traceroutes (if the ISP plays games with ICMP, one might need TCP or UDP probes). I note though that here I interpret your upstream congestion as congestion in the upload direction close to the router and not as a generic term for congestion in networks outside your ISP's.

In that unfortunate situation, cake-autorate might help....

1 Like

Admittedly I am very green when it comes to networking. Is there a way to trace a route using, say, UDP packets instead of just tracing ICMP routes via WinMTR or some other application?

Not sure about Win MTR, but unix mtr allows to use --udp to request UDP probes or --tcp --port 80 to use e.g. TCP on port 80. Not all end points will respond to this. Some will, some do not. E.g. I would guess game servers to be locked down quite a bit and hence are unlikely to respond to any of ICM, UDP, or TCP, but your milage might vary. There are probably other tools than mtr to do something similar, however I have no experience with those.

Sounds like their server issue to me. Man the thread is too long. Does it only happen in Rocket League? or in all the games you got?

Unfortunately all games are impacted..

I have the impression that the DSCP classes make me bug the Nat, because sqm without DSCP works better.

In my experience (I can't tell for others) but when I'm the only one using internet then I play games without sqm/qosify or any DSCP related changes given I have complete control over my system. If you're 101% sure from your end that your hardware and softare has no problem until now then it gotta be from either ISP or game server. Since you said you feel lag in all games then it narrows down to your end or ISP. I think I read somewhere you changed your ISP too (I might be wrong) then it's from your end. Now, in this case did you try using routers without OpenWrt? how was your experience?

Yes all the games are impacted, yes I played only with a console connected directly to internet Nat1 and all my devices unplugged and wifi disabled. I tested 12-14 different routers. Netgear, fritzbox, asus, EdgeRouter, microtik, ddwrt, OpenWrt, gaming router R1,R2, XR500. etc etc ! No difference, not an ounce of improvement! The only thing that finally gave me a smooth and responsive behavior is to have inherited a public IP address that I never had before! I guess it was part of a very low traffic segment and didn't need so much nat or cgnat translation, the Connections must have been much more direct!

My problem is either nat / cgnat too much translation and public IP sharing as well as the available port for clients or a dirty power problem (I don't really believe in it)!

Some Internet providers do not have enough IPv4 addresses to provide each customer with an individual public IPv4 address. To avoid this problem, use carrier-grade NAT (CGNAT).

CGNAT works on the same principle as NAT, but at the provider level: the private IPv4 addresses of multiple clients are translated into a public IPv4 address. Multiple clients share the same public IPv4 address. The private IPv4 addresses of the endpoints are translated twice: first into a private IPv4 address for each client, and then into a public IPv4 address for multiple clients.

You might want to try again using a VPN to router your traffic out of your ISPs direct reach?

1 Like

@moeller0 @segal_72 agreed. As moeller said VPN might work especially mullvad but I wouldn't bet on VPN. First he should try original firmware instead of OpenWrt imo

I tested 12-14 different routers. Netgear, fritzbox, asus, EdgeRouter, microtik, ddwrt, OpenWrt, gaming router R1,R2, XR500. etc etc ! No difference, not an ounce of improvement!

Sorry didn't read this part since rn I'm on my phone. Ever wondered if it could be your display? In past I connected Sony Bravia TV to play Siege. I lost every single match. The display response time matters. Maybe that would be the case?

BenQ MOBIUZ EX3210U 4K Gaming (32 Pouces, IPS, 144 Hz, 1ms, HDR 600, HDMI 2.1, 48 Gbps

1 Like

I tested 8 different vpn using Openvpn, WG, I tested sharing the connection with my pc too!
I estimate my latency to feel minimum 200 ms, which corresponds to play against a Chinese in China.

Awesome rig. How much ping do you get in most games? If you're far from their datacenters then there could be tons of factors. Play games where you get 9-26 ms ping. The difference is day and night for gamers

I play the servers from 7 ms to 22 ms no difference as if I was playing on 200 ms server.

I managed to change public IP, I confirm it's worse than ever! Need to rechange

I would like to check this.
How can I check with Nmap live on a game session, which ports are open and is it reliable? I would like to check ports 3659 and 3074 udp. Which cli do you recommend?

To check which ports are in use, I wold just collect packet captures, ideally concurrently on br-lan and wan (to see the pre and post NAT IP addresses and ports).
I doubt that game servers will tolerate you running nmap on them...

Really I think the only thing you can/should try is to see whether manipulating your RTT can help, either by running netem delay on your router of by using a VPN with and endpoint such that your in game RTT changes noticeably...

I am no expert on this kind of game however*. My local gamers just started to play fortnight via a nintendo switch and 5GHz WiFi (the switch has no ethernet ports), so far I heard no complaints about either delay/jitter/lag but maybe we are just lucky so far.

*) Ask me about early lucas games adventures instead :wink:

I just tested cloudfareWarp with WG directly on the router unfortunately I get a strict Nat.. so my fai becomes cloudfare and all traceroute with cloudfare are reduced by half, ex: a traceroute 20 hops became 10 hops but I have a little more Ping.. the server 8 ms the traceroute is 8 hops, with cloudfare it is more than 4 hops on the other hand gives me with 20 ms instead of 8 ms without cloudfare... if the compensation lag exists? it still works badly that I have 8, 30 or 200 ms with Netem... in summary: my Ping changed, my route changed, my IP changed is still unplayable... delay delay delay...

Well that seems like a sub-optimal set to explore... I would have tried the following added delays in netem:
8, 16, 32, 64, 128
as a first attempt to see whether any of these actually helps. But according to your reports so far, something with your PS5 seems cursed :wink: