(help) mac address change... device problem with two same mac addresses

Hi

I've done something very strange. There was a problem updating firmware to Tplink tl-wr1043nd v1 device. Despite my best efforts, it didn't improve. I wanted to update with the Tftp app. But I couldn't because I cut the road off with the soldering machine. As a last resort (the same model), I removed the Bios chip of different router devices and took backup. And I uploaded this bios file to the device that isn't working. There was a problem when I said it was all good and everything was working.

Now I have two devices with the same MAC address. They're on the same network, so they're conflicting with each other. only one of the two can only be used on the network...

My question is... How do I change the address "MAC"? I'm open to any suggestions.

How is this related to OpenWrt?

On top of that: When writing in your native language, please always provide an english translation, also for the topic title.

Thanks!

Thank you for the quick reply.

I also use openwrt on devices. In fact, all the custom firmware started with installation.

LuCI > Network > Interfaces > INTERFACE_NAME > Edit

• Advanced Settings > Override MAC address > ...

Save > Save & Apply

1 Like

I've tried a few times. Then I reset the device and tried again. I succeeded this time.

But when I reset the software, the mac address changes again. Can I permanently change this Mac address?

It will always depend on you changing it in software as the MAC address is uniquely given to the respective network chip.

1 Like

I don't know for the tl-wr1043nd, but for c7 v2, wdr4900v2, the mac address is stored at the end of u-boot, at 0x1fc00, you can check it with hexdump of u-boot partition.

Then cat your u-boot and modify the corresponding location and write back the u-boot.

1 Like

Thanks mate,

I couldn't figure out how to use the program you said. But I figured it out with a program (HxD) that was his match.

Thank you so much for your advice. I finally figured it out.

Thank you all for your help.

If your problem is solved, please consider marking this topic as [Solved]. See How to mark a topic as [Solved] for a short how-to.

1 Like