Guide on unlocking TP-Link Archer MR200 from your carrier

Interesting, there are 2 options that I can see you doing right now.

1. Do a backup of the modem filesystem and replace files with the ones from the firmware update (using Total Commander with ADB plugin or just direct ADB via PC)

2. Use this modem update file, which contains a newer version firmware code and see if it works.

Hi,

Do a backup of the modem filesystem

Is there a procedure for this?

replace files with the ones from the firmware update

Which files? I could use adb to upload the jar, if installed unzip it into /tmp and then cp the files into the right place. Although isn't this akin to what your new .zip file is but just now with my firmware in the list?

Use this modem update file

How easily could I brick my router?

Why are these files in /var/lib/opkg/alternatives/[
/var/lib/opkg/alternatives/[[
Typos when saving?

Have you got a file list of what exactly changed?

Regards, S

the update file wont brick your router, its the safest method

no typos there, the update file is extracted directly from the tp-link firmware, so it should always flash properly

Famous last words :slight_smile: I will let you know.

hahahaha, sure!

oops @sloko it was the old firmware zip, i have changed the file, download again, same link, should be about 44MB now!

thanks. Please could you post a checksum?

I got :

$ shasum -a 256 MR200_Modem_Update.zip 
788e3bdcf603be730468dbea7981b1d5dbd19eb604eda3319ed8533ef36e90b0  MR200_Modem_Update.zip

"Update failed. The update file may be demaged."

ah crap, didnt work... well your last option is replacing the files with the ones from the original update file

Do you know why it failed?

I cannot find a log file under /var/log except wtmp with is linked to /dev/null lol. Certainly saves space and no need for log rotation.

i think the last firmware update itself is only flashable directly by replacing the files, like the tp-link mr200 console updater does, do the same but with the original modem file linked in the main post

This comes across as a bit dicey given you will not give me file list of exactly what ought to copied. If I lose our Internet, I will get a lot of grief, and then be forced to go out and grab another Orange 12 month contract and free modem for crap 10Mbits Internet again to quickly fix the problem. Orange in a terrible ISP in Belgium anyway.

I prefer to wait until fibre is available, and get a fibre connection.
Do you know if the two antennae on the MR200 are for wifi or the LTE modem?

They are for LTE, about the file list, you copy everything from the system folder in the update zip, just replace all the files that can be replaced with those from the update zip/system folder, it shouldn't be dangerous since that's what's done by the TP-Link MR200 Console updater.

Ok will try later.

I will tar up the files and spray them across the file system later when I have an Intenet backup plan in place :slight_smile:

Off topic, have you got a way of measuring the LTE signal strength on the MR200?
The OpenWRT O/S disabled the signal strength LEDs. Or can these be enabled again?

You need to check the LED configuration in OpenWRT settings

Yep I did this. I don't think it was coded into openwrt, yet

you can flash back the ofw and return the device for warranty - at least this in what I did after bricking the uboot :slight_smile: - but they had no more devices in stock (in Romania) and offered to return the money but I refused and repaired the device myself as described in the wiki with a rpi

Ah, not with carrier locked devices, mine for sure (WIND Hellas GR), would return Unable to mount VFS, and would kernel panic, no matter what, in my other thread, it seemed like it has something to do with U-Boot's ENV, which for the time being, I can't say much about.

The MR200 V2 dump did work with V1 properly, just needed to do a factory reset upon first boot, if you want V1, use your carrier's firmware or another carrier's one, like Orange.

I have included more details in the wiki.

1 Like

Hi,

The carrier is Orange ( Belgium ).
How sure are we to flash it back to factory ( or equivalent) with the stock Orange fireware?I really don't want to brick it, because I really like the MR200.