btw guys... i bought this router it's realy fast and stable but i can't get good WAN speeds. max that i had is 455Mbits/s with Software flow offloading on. is this max speed that we can for now get in openwrt? or should i combile some extra patches in my snapshot firmware?
release / build?
Build from newest sources
what speed do you see without offloading?
That's somewhere along the lines of what you can expect right now as there's no hw offloading for networking.
That is completely wrong.
The IPQ8064 (and its 1400Mhz Krait CPUs) should be able to route and NAT at a far faster rate than 455Mbs without any hardware NAT acceleration.
If you look at the threads on here that deal with other IPQ806x based devices (like the Netgear R7800) you would know the reason for the slow speed is because the IPQ8064 is one of the few devices with CPU clockspeed control and the default "ondemand" CPU frequency governor keeps the clockspeed at a lower rate than it should when under load.
See this https://forum.openwrt.org/t/r7800-performance/15780/29 post for more info.
DSL connection as the primary?
PPoE is single threaded...
..and you would know about the poor overall performance too
i have ftth network 800/200 Mbps (FTTH router -> EA8500 -> 1Gb switch -> rest of network), WAN speed tested with speedtest site, maybe here is the problem? How can I test that the result is reliable? maybe i will test this later without linksys router, only FTTH router and PC
ok, i have changed some settings like @NamesAreAPain wrote
echo 35 > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpufreq/ondemand/up_threshold echo 10 > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpufreq/ondemand/sampling_down_factor
and tested some servers on speedtest net. few of them worked with full speed 800/200 it looks like not all servers on this site are capable to test such speeds
btw. cpu in htop when i tested full speed is only ~50% usage
thank you for help
I just updated my EA8500 to OpenWrt 18.06.4, and I can confirm that the ondemand tuning above still helps. My iperf3 results LAN-to-WAN would bounce between 680Mbps and 400Mbps with the default settings, but are consistently 680Mbps as changed above.
The temperatures reported in
/sys/class/thermal/ rise to about 50 degrees Celsius above my 22 degrees C ambient after a few minutes of running the above iperf3 NAT throughput test. I guess that's OK.
top reports about 77% sirq and 14% idle while testing NAT throughput.