Dynalink DL-WRX36 Askey RT5010W IPQ8072A technical discussion

The port leds aren't exposed in this way, the only one in LED configuration is the one on the front of the unit, which isn't the one I'm asking about.

1 Like

Now that you mention it, I agree that the port was probably designed for occasional use.

They just look similar - not sure if the chips are the same or not in the USB cable.

I believe Spyros meant a thumb drive is not meant for 24x7 use, not the USB port.

A hard disk drive connected to the DL-WRX36 USB3 port 24x7 if properly configured should not be an issue, though I find a dedicated 2 bay NAS to be a better storage server solution.

It looks like its the same chip, anyway i'l get another one. The problem is that there are no pins on the board.

Yes, thumb drive is what i meant.

you don't really need the pins, if you've got enough extra hands, but they definitely help.
unless you're looking into some kind of permanent setup.

1 Like

I have a USB stick that has been running for over 1.5 years. First on my FritzBox 4040 and now on the WRX36 as extroot.

this is not a device specific question, create a new thread, or even better, search the forum for docker.

1 Like

Add the drive and configure as EXTROOT

The important thing is to understand the pinout for this adapter. The pinout for WRX36 is documented on the Wiki at

https://openwrt.org/toh/dynalink/dl-wrx36#serial

Just make sure that the Tx pin on the device, goes to Rx your USB TTL, and the other way around for the Rx pin. Gnd connects to Gnd.
That should be all.

1 Like

FYI the usb worked, just tested it and debranded a Zyxel VMG8623-T50B.

i think its identical with the one from amazon

Keystrokes were working, only set baud rate to 115200

2 Likes

Still not device specific, create a new thread.

I've put this in my /etc/rc.local :

# fix sysupgrade
grep -q "service wpad stop 2>/dev/null; sleep" "/lib/upgrade/stage2" || sed -i "\~^killall -9 telnetd~i service wpad stop 2>/dev/null; sleep 6\n" "/lib/upgrade/stage2"

Is there an offical fix on the way so it gets changed in master/snapshot accordingly?

4 Likes

That's nice, it allows stage2 upgrades from snapshots.

The issue is reported here:
https://bugzilla.kernel.org/show_bug.cgi?id=216513

2 Likes

oh, I thought it was openwrt specific, it's not ...

1 Like

Yes it's a ath11k bug. But there is no simple workaround within OpenWrt as the sysupgrade abort happens in stage2 and that is part of the generic sysupgrade logic.

As a result we would need a workaround only for ipq807x target in the generic part, that's not acceptable.

So the only real solution is a fix in ath11k.

1 Like

One fix proposal is

4 Likes

Well, by default nothing is written to flash during operations, so you can just pull the plug.

If you have installed extra services that need more tidy shutdown, then it gets more complicated.

I have just downloaded the latest snapshot and installed it. When I login (SSH), I see:
OpenWrt SNAPSHOT, r22297-1781e7408a.
However, on the download site, I see Version: SNAPSHOT (r22364-a2973060ea)
Does this mean that the router isn't taking the firmware I am flashing?