------- ORIGINAL POST -------
I have found out that the project is financially supported by just two contributors and I think that:
- It's still a financial burden (however insignificant it may be for those guys) and there's no reason for it not to be shared.
- There should be an option for people to donate financially if they want to support the project but are unable to do it any other way.
- Probably nobody would want to just accumulate a pile of money, so donations should be directly tied to the current infrastructure costs with the option to raise money for special spendings and more importantly the option to stop accepting donations once the goal is reached.
So the requirements would be:
- Actual donation page where you can send money to cover project costs.
- Target amount status/progress page.
- Automatically stop accepting donations when the target is reached.
- Automatically reactivate annually.
- Ideally, automatically pay out infrastructure costs when the target is reached.
Just a single "donate" button probably won't cut it. I've looked into a few donation/crowdfunding platforms and nothing really stood out. Crowdfunding sites are usually kickstarter-like in a way that they best support one-time collection of the money (vs annual collections) and a lot of platforms which automate donations charge fees almost equal to an annual infrastructure spending and/or require the official recognition of the non-profit status (to shave fees off).
So two questions I have:
- Does anyone have experience with crowdfunding/donations platforms which might be suitable for LEDE?
- Since these platforms do require e-mail/password to login -- how could shared ownership of this information between a number of project leaders be organized?