DLink DIR-853 A3

Hi Nadeem,

I am not sure I understand your issue sorry.

How did you get the recovery screen? Is your device the A3?

If you are using the console to trigger the recovery HTTP server you should use the tftp option. I had a hard time trying to make the HTTP solution work

thanks you sir
my device is dlink dir853 a3 sir please send tftp sulaction

Salam Nadeem, Below is the solution worked for my router, credits to Karim as all files and instructions were shared by him.
1- Download and extract the firmware folder shared previously by Karim from here
2- Manually set your ethernet to 192.168.0.2 with mask 255.255.255.0 and connect it to one of the router LAN ports.
3- Download tftpd32 client, configure it to bind with the up mentioned IP address and start it.
4- Copy file "DIR-853-A3-Stock-Dec.bin" extracted in step 1 to tftpd32 root directory.
5- Connect to your TTL USB to the router serial connectors, gnd to gnd, USB rx to router tx and USB tx to router rx with 57600,8,1,no parity and no flow control.
6- Power up your router and press 2 repeatidly lets say every 1.5 seconds until you get uboot recovery, follow the sequence and all should work fine.

Salam Karim, I have been trying to extract the bootloader from decrypted DIR-1360 firmware using binwalk and dd command with no luck, would you please share the bootloader again on mediafire as wetransfer link already expired.
Thank you bro.

1 Like

Thanks for sharing the instructions with the file for @nadeem2374 .

As far as I know Link does not have u-boot image inside the firmware of their devices (except for the R models). Is that what you are trying to do?

I might have a copy somehwere though if you just want the u-boot file.

Just be careful with writing u-boot though as there is no way to recover from a bad flash except writing the data with an external device directly to the chip

You are welcome, it is just a fraction of the support you provided on this thread.
I read somewhere that u-boot image is included in the squash portion of the firmware, I have been trying to extract that part however the dumped file is always corrupted.
Yes, please share the u-boot file, I think having the emergency flash option deserves the risk. Hopefully it will go well.

Appreciate your efforts and thank you for the advice

I am interested to know where you got the info from. I will have to find the u-boot and test it again just to make sure.

I did compile u-boot from source and made some of the dlink changes I found in their GPL. It did work and had tftp + usb recovery built in (USB recovery not the best though). The tftp option was good enough as it starts just by pressing the reset button.

I did not want to share it here (nor intend to). I will have to find it and share it with you in PM. Otherwise I can send you the uboot from the DIR-1360 but I had issues using the web interface recovery except by using the curl command.

I am new to the whole firmware reverse engineering, having some problems with TTL connecting to my router made me to try installing the standard u-boot image with emergency recovery. I started to watch some youtube tutorials and one of them stated that the squashfs contains the bootloader and this how everything started.
You did some impressive modifications adding USB and ftp recovery, that will sure make life much easier. Keep the great work Bro.

1 Like

Just be careful with u-boot please. I have not tested the one I created much and I just made sure it boots and has recovery working (I don't use the device itself).

I just managed to copy and paste the Dlink code regarding the image header and the recovery from dlink source code to the one in u-boot. Nothing really.

I also have a Nand chip flasher where I can just plug it on top of the nand chip and can rewrite data on the flash itself so now I can test easily without worrying about bricking (and even if I do it's not my main device)

Ah and one last thing the squashfs on the dlink mt7621 device definately does not contain the u-boot image. The only ones I know of that do are the R version (and their firmware structure is different from the A devices)

1 Like

Thanks Sir,
but my router is not connect to usb to ttl please send me helping video for recover D-link Dir-853 A3

Welcome Nadeem, This video here is the best I could find, you will need to buy USB to TTL adapter either online or any electronic shop.
The TTL pinout for DIR-853 is shown in the below pic shared by Karim.
Good luck Bro.

1 Like

ok thanks sir

@kar200 hi Kareem, is it possible to port latest padavan Fw for our beloved router?

Esteemed,

My equipment is D-Link DIR 853 ver A2, will it work with any .iso for example DIR 853 A1, A3?

Grateful.

Hello please.

I'm a layman in Open WRT but I have some knowledge in linux and router.

To know if I can make Open WRT work on the DIR-853 HW:A2 FW:1.20 equipment. Do you have any firmware that works? Can you explain the basics to me?

Thank you

Hi @saifkhan9187,

I will have a look and see if I can manage to get something working.

Unfortunately I have less time lately to spend on this but I am sure it wouldn't be too hard to come up with a working image.

1 Like

Hello, just found out that there is a custom FW for Etisalat based routers fortunately I have DIR-853 A3, just wanted to know should I flash the decrypted or the encrypted file? I haven't flashed any custom firmware yet and as of typing this it's stock? (Not sure if it is stock or not as Etisalat has already meddled with this before and maybe it's custom?) if you could help me out with the correct file to flash to my router it will be of great help! Thanks for your contribution as well.

Thanks a lot @kar200 that would be much appreciated. As i am in love with that FW but the only thing i am missing is VPN setup in it. I am using Openwrt on another one but my primary one is still Padavan. Thanks a lot in advance

Which one you prefer more? and which one you consider the best one to use as AP or Bridge

Using it as an AP, and what do you mean by preferring the most? If it's a question about the Stock Firmware or Padavan's firmware I'm going ahead with Padavan since it looks like you have more options to control over and to tinker with compared to bone stock.