Custom Builds LEDE v17.01.7 & libreCMC v1.4.5 for TP-LINK WR740N(D) WR741N(D) WR841N(D) WR941N/D) All Versions

2019-07-28T20:38:00Z

I'm back :nerd_face: with new custom builds, for our little friends; the most common TP-LINK with 4MB of flash memory.

First of all use Devuan ASCII / Debian Strech) as a linux environment to compile LEDE & libreCMC (fork Openwrt https://librecmc.org/). I only use the official guide published in OpenWrt

Within the forum one or another user (somewhat paranoid of privacy) care about custom or optimized constructions.
You can check my .bin files by doing a quick reverse engineering using the following guide
Viewing the contents of the router firmwares with binwalk

Tested on my TP-LINK WR940N v5 :desktop_computer::keyboard::computer_mouse:

These versions are lightweight only include Zram-Swap & SQM scripts I remove iPv6 and unnecessary things (check list of changes).

Compatible routers

* TP-LINK WR740N v1
* TP-LINK WR740N v2
* TP-LINK WR740N v3
* TP-LINK WR740N v4
* TP-LINK WR740N v5
* TP-LINK WR740N v6
* TP-LINK WR741ND v1
* TP-LINK WR741ND v2
* TP-LINK WR741ND v4
* TP-LINK WR741ND v5 
* TP-LINK WR743ND v1
* TP-LINK WR743ND v2
* TP-LINK WR841 v1.5
* TP-LINK WR841 v3
* TP-LINK WR841 v5
* TP-LINK WR841 v7
* TP-LINK WR841 v8
* TP-LINK WR841 v9
* TP-LINK WR841 v10
* TP-LINK WR841 v11
* TP-LINK WR841 v12
* TP-LINK WR940N v4
* TP-LINK WR941ND v2                           
* TP-LINK WR941ND v3                           
* TP-LINK WR941ND v4
* TP-LINK WR941ND v5
* TP-LINK WR941ND v6
* TP-LINK WR941ND v6(CN)

Mini Update
Added support for

* TP-LINK WR843ND v1

Distribution: Stable Release - LEDE v17.01.7

This includes
  1. LuCI Minified and Material theme added
  2. Zram-Swap included
  3. SQM basic scripts
  4. Without ipv6 protocol
  5. No opkg support
  6. Removed kernel debugging
  7. Stripped unnecessary exports from the kernel image and unnecessary functions from libraries

> pCloud Downloads <

(Custom Build that I use on my second router)

Distribution: Fork Openwrt - libreCMC v1.4.5

This includes
  1. LuCI Minified (Bootstrap default theme)
  2. Zram-Swap included
  3. Supports bridge mode (luci-proto-relay)
  4. SQM basic scripts
  5. Without ipv6 protocol
  6. No opkg support
  7. Removed kernel debugging
  8. Stripped unnecessary exports from the kernel image and unnecessary functions from libraries

> pCloud Downloads <

libreCMC after flashing the IP by default is 192.168.10.1

(Custom Build that I use on my main router)

Which one do you think is better?

• LEDE v17.01.7
  • libreCMC v1.4.5
  • Other compilations

0 voters

Check my other compilations

[UPDATE] LEDE 17.01.6 custom...

Optimized build LEDE 17.01 / OpenWrt 18.06 / libreCMC for...

9 Likes

not supporting luci-proto-relay?And wich one take to flash mine TP-Link TL-WR843N/ND v1 ? dont wanna to have a brick :smiley:

@Dratas
If your router model appears in the list, you can occupy one of my custom builds otherwise you can leave your router like a brick

nope mine router is not in list,so i have option stay with regular LEDE Reboot 17.01.6 r3979-2252731af4 / LuCI lede-17.01 branch (git-18.201.27126-7bf0367) or go with OpenWrt v18.06.4 :grinning:

Hi! Thanks for all @xhaka , one question: This new version supports no-ip DDNS?

Edit: Can you summarize the advantages from using LEDE or libreCMC ? Should I choose one of them for something in particular?

@lcfx
Hi,
These versions are lightweight, only includes Zram-Swap and SQM Scripts (check the changes section). I will not compile more complete versions at the moment. :wink:

@Dratas You can now flash your router WR843ND v1, I just added it in the LEDE downloads

2 Likes

@xhaka that name in first screen is changeable?that one in top corner "xhaka"or its like © sign of your? :smile:

Yes, you can choose the name you want for your hostname, in the section Sistem> Hostname

xhaka, thanks so much for the builds.

I have an old WR740N v1 that I want to use as a wifi network card for a smarTV that has a really bad wifi reception - anything other than the TV has no issues with the wifi.
To be able to use the WR740N in client mode, do I need do download libreCMC version with luci-proto-relay or LEDE v17.01.7 will do it?

thanks!

no libreCMC for tiny router? :smiley:

For bridge support, use libreCMC for the luci-proto-relay protocol that was included in the compilation

2 Likes

Nop only LEDE 17.0.1.7 for WR843ND v1

1 Like

then not much options i have.:scream:

1 Like

@xhaka Question to this topic autor,there is no plans make custom build based on OpenWRT 18 but with all these small optimisations like did with LEDE 17.01.7 ?:smirk:

1 Like

I have not used OpenWrt in its branch 18.06 since last year since the new improvements is = more space, they leave the old 4Mb routers almost forgotten just with the possibility of using them in a generic way without being able to add some necessary package for the user. It has already been seen with Gargoyle or Pulpstone developers (LEDE / OpenWrt fork) that have updated to OpenWrt branch 18.06 have stopped supporting routers with 4Mb flash memory.

@xhaka does this version 17.01.7 perform better than 17.01.6 and 17.01.5? I am using a version that you made 17.01.5 with zram and works well with SQM, if I download this 17.01.7 would it improve more?

1 Like

@xhaka, @xhaka, another question, is LibreCMC lighter than Openwrt in this version of yours? My focus is performance with SQM.

1 Like

It didn't work for me. Brazil, ADSL. It looks like you need ipv6, but it is curious that there is a version of you without ipv6 with zram swap that works well with me. Will understand ... If you can build in the future just like this but with ipv6 support, please post here. Thankful.

1 Like

@pedrohsk1
My custom builds are designed to be used in secondary or neutral routers, if you want ipv6 an SQM, etc. it is recommended that you use a main router with at least 8Mb + Flash memory.
Forks derived from OpenWrt such as Gargoyle and Pulpstone, have stopped supporting routers with 4Mb of flash; It's time to upgrade to new technologies

1 Like