Connect 4g modem with TP-Link Archer C7 USB port

Hi,

I'm thinking about flashing OpenWRT on my router Archer C7, I have previously flashed DD-WRT on it and it was all messy so I switched back to the stock. The only reason why I want to install a custom firmware is because I want to use my 4g dongle as a backup internet connection to the USB port of the router.

I have a Huwawei E5573 4g device, I can change the dongle if this one is not supported.

Please let me know if this is do-able with OpenWRT.

Your help will be highly appreciated.

Yes, with MWAN3 you can set up automatic failover. It doesn't work very well for IPv6, though, and if you are using VPN you currently need to copy some files from a pull request that hasn't been merged yet.

I used a Huawei E5377 via USB for over 2 years without issue on both OpenWRT and LEDE. It will appear as an Ethernet device when configured correctly. You have to install a few kernel modules and then add a few rules to trigger on the device ID.

Things may have changed in the past 18 months, but from my now-cryptic setup notes:

opkg update; opkg install usb-modeswitch kmod-usb-net kmod-usb-net-cdc-ether
   (plug in device)

cat /sys/kernel/debug/usb/devices
   (find the ID?)

vi /etc/usb-mode.json

Add: "55534243123456780000000000000a11062000000000000100000000000000" to message array
Search for the line with "1f01", then add a new section following:
		"12d1:1f02": {
			"*": {
				"t_vendor": 4817,
				"t_product": [ 5340 ],
				"mode": "HuaweiNew",
				"no_driver": true,
				"msg": [  ]
			}
		},

usbmode -s

cat /sys/kernel/debug/usb/devices

Check for eth2 in dmesg

Add eth2 to the WAN interface, make sure it doesn't appear elsewhere (i.e. not in br-lan)

Add LED trigger (Archer C7):
	tp-link:blue:wan
	netdev
	eth2
	link transmit, receive

Hi tiubles,
Were you ever able to get your Huawei E5573 to work with Archer C7 on OpenWRT? If so, what did you need to do?