Build for Linksys EA9500

The recent openwrt-20210809.trx is working well on my Linksys EA9500.

I will update later. So far so good.

root@EA9500:~# swconfig dev switch0 show | grep port
        ports: 0x011f
        link: port:0 link:up speed:1000baseT full-duplex auto
        link: port:1 link:down
        link: port:2 link:down
        link: port:3 link:down
        link: port:4 link:down
        link: port:5 link:down
        link: port:6 link:down
        link: port:7 link:down
        link: port:8 link:up speed:1000baseT full-duplex

Port 0 being the LAN1 port. Port 8 is the WAN port.

Oh, this is weird, there should be CPU port "up" too.

Could you also paste

nvram show | grep ports

for me, please?

Here's mine

root@OpenWrt:/# swconfig dev switch0 show | grep port
        ports: 0x011f
        link: port:0 link:up speed:1000baseT full-duplex auto
        link: port:1 link:down
        link: port:2 link:down
        link: port:3 link:down
        link: port:4 link:down
        link: port:5 link:down
        link: port:6 link:down
        link: port:7 link:down
        link: port:8 link:up speed:1000baseT full-duplex
root@OpenWrt:/# nvram show | grep ports
evlan1ports=0 2 4 1 3 8
vlan2ports=4 8
vlan1ports=2 1 3 0 5 7 8*

Just to confirm. Mine has the same output as npcomplete copied.

# nvram show | grep ports
evlan1ports=0 2 4 1 3 8
vlan2ports=4 8
vlan1ports=2 1 3 0 5 7 8*

Interesting Quirks mentioned here:
https://github.com/hurrian/ea9500_openwrt

"The CPU ports of the EA9500/EA9400 are directly connected to a BCM53012 switch wired to LAN4,7,8 plus an external BCM53125 switch wired to LAN1,2,3,5,6. This means that you will only see the internal BCM53012 ports in LuCI's switch configuration.

On EA9500, Broadcom BCM4366C0 firmware versions past 10.10.69.69 are not properly supported by brcmfmac, resulting in dropouts in the 2.4GHz and secondary 5GHz radios. The latest known working firmware for BCM4366C0 is supplied in the package brcmfmac-firmware-4366c0-pcie-panamera."

As npcomplete noted a potential workaround here:
https://git.cloudorz.com/mt/openwrt/commit/9aaa20d8ba2290165abc2cbc6fcee00e9c0259d1

Screen capture from LuCI

CPU (eth0)
1000baseT
full-duplex
Port Status 1 and 2 listed as tagged.

1 Like

Looks good. Those are your vlan IDs on the left. They are tagged in the CPU where the magic happens. vlan1 being your Lan and 2 being the wan.

Has anyone tried these builds in the official download repo? https://downloads.openwrt.org/releases/21.02.0/targets/bcm53xx/generic/

I have not. At least not yet.

If my friend upgrades his network to a WiFi6 mesh with new equipment I may have a second EA9500 for additional testing.

The current release from npcomplete running well on my one existing EA9500 at the moment.

1 Like

Hi gents

I'm a WRT noob but I'm looking to pickup a used EA9500 for OpenWRT (AX routers not really supported yet?)

Are there any issues with the build for the EA9500 that I consider before pulling the trigger?

Thanks in advance and for the work you all put into to this

Thank npcomplete for the excellent EA9500 firmware. As long as you follow the tips in his first post and his guide which outlines the process and provides the essential steps it should go well. I used the Adafruit adapter for my initial flash to OpenWRT on my EA9500. From that point forward I can now use LuCI's web interface or a direct copy to the device and then run an update via WinSCP (file copy) and PuTTY or other TTY utilities.

Oh, I'm in Australia - I can just initially flash OpenWRT using the EA9500 right?

EDIT - I flashed the non US version and didnt realised OpenWRT has wifi disabled as default - I thought I'd bricked the router haha

I followed the instructions to flash to both partitions and then tried to update with the latest version off the OpenWRT website - then I read npcomplete said to not do that? The router was not booting properly for a while. What should I be updating the router with moving forward?

Thanks for unlocking this great software!

For the time being, npcomplete recommends using the firmware from this page. He is waiting for a pull request. Build for Linksys EA9500 - #863 by npcomplete

Actually, if you look, that patch was already applied.

Does this mean we can start using the nightly builds?

1 Like

I installed the version listed here and it runs with wpa2! I did have some issues with the third wifi radio though, so I flashed back to the 20210809 release. Is anyone running the 20210810 release? I have some odd behavior with this build, my 2.4g radio has no internet and can't reach the router config pages either. You can ping the router and ping the host from the router however. Both 5G radios seem to work fine. Also, I seem to still be limited to wpa/wpa2 mixed mode.

Here's the repo link from the page if you wanted to test it out on your router. Results may vary.
http://downloads.openwrt.org/releases/21.02.0/targets/bcm53xx/generic/openwrt-21.02.0-bcm53xx-generic-linksys_ea9500-squashfs.trx

Something else interesting on this build is the ability to control and see port status for both internal switches! They are both showing in my switch page now, though I'm not sure of the vlan functionality for the "dumb" switch yet.

Confirmed the vlan functionality does not work for the other switch even when it's properly tagged on port 8. It seems the network config cannot distinguish the two apart and configs for one switch get applied to the other and vise versa. I found it best to remove it from the config entirely so only swich1 shows up in luci.