Build for Linksys EA9500

Had the same issues.... Try again by doing dfactory reset in the OpenWRT...
I did like.... 5 or 6 resets before I got it to work.... eventually.

Hi npcomplete, i'm having a strange issue i don't know if you've encountered this before.

I'm streaming view of my ipcam on lan. Every wired or wireless device on the network can connect to it and view rtsp stream, all but an android phone.

Previous build - no prob. Stock firmware -no prob, but since i flashed the 2020-01-02, no matter what i do i get "location xxx cannot be played" error.

Obviously i tried several players even though vlc has worked in the past and should've work now.

Phone works fine and has no issues connecting to the router. Youtube, browsing.. all works fine it's just that damn stream that just won't work no matter what.

Any tips as to what i could try? Thanks in advance.

So I assume the project is dead in the water now.... Since there were no updates since well... a long time... except the one that was pulled in may.... I really do hope npcomplete is safe and healthy....

You have to take a deep breath and not despair. At any moment, inspiration will come to @npcomplete and he will finish his masterpiece for the EA9500 ...

The build will happen, don't know when. There are some patches that are dependent on pin controller to be fixed and I'm waiting for @rmilecki to fix it

2 Likes

Thanks @npcomplete for the update, I have no doubt @rmilecki will do his magic too !!! Patience is the virtue of the gods :innocent: We have to be patient ... :crazy_face:

1 Like

New build uploaded for time being

1 Like

Sorry I'm a total noob at OpenWrt. My EA9500 network would get slow and some devices could no longer connect after a few months, with the only solution being a factory reset. I got tired of the poor performance for such an expensive device, so I flashed the January build of OpenWrt. That worked fine for ethernet and 2.4GHz, but I had the same WiFi issues reported by some others, including the inability to switch channels, weak 5GHz radio performance, and radio 2 constantly switching to client mode and being mostly unusable. Over a dozen hard resets via the button and the web UI didn't resolve those issues.

Today I flashed the August bleeding edge build npcomplete just released and I'm happy to report that it has resolved the WiFi issues I was having. Unfortunately, I'm now experiencing the same communication issues reported by others for devices connected via ethernet. I have a switch downstairs connected to port 7 on the router. I found that my HarmonyHub (2.4GHz) and my phone (5GHz AC radio 0) are unable to see or control either a Roku or a HDHomeRun connected to this switch, but oddly my PC using the Linksys WUSB6100M (5GHz AC radio 0) that came in a package deal with my EA9500 is able to connect to them without issue. Why behavior would differ for two devices connected via the same radio is beyond me, but it seems that my PC can see devices connected to internal ports 4, 7, & 8, but not devices connected to the integrated switch ports 1-3, 5, & 6, whereas other WiFi devices can't see any wired ones.

I want to thank npcomplete for all his hard work on this project and ask if anyone has any advice on possible solutions for the communication issues between wired and wireless devices. I'm happy to try and provide any information needed, though I will add that SSH and such are not my strong suit.

Should I just go back to the January build for now?

2 Likes

You need to add lan 1 - 3, 5 and 6 to the bridged interfaces.
After a few hours of fighting with the new build (it basically goofied on simplest stuff like static dhcp lease for my main rig that I wanted to set to 192.168.1.100) and a VERY serious speed decrease on WAN I'm unfortunately back to January build....
(January build + offloading set in Firewall I am able to reach 770-790 Mbit, where on the build from 14/08/2020 I am able to reach 250-270 max even with offloading ticked)...

Hi PrEzi3
What do you mean by "offloading set in firewall"?

Software and Hardware Offloading feature allowed to reach much higher throughputs on the WAN side in the earlier builds (e.g. January). On Stock firmware I have nearly full 1 Gbps on the WAN side, OpenWRT without offloading - between 250-400 Mbps, with offloading January - ca 770 Mbps, newest one - ca. 250-300 Mbps.

1 Like

Hey PrEzi3,
Thanks for the advice. I already had LAN 1-3, 5 & 6 selected under interface in the Physical settings of the LAN in the web GUI. Is that what you are referring to? I also attempted to add them to the network under the WiFi settings, but that prevented some wireless devices from being able to connect to it.

I found that every once in while a packet actually does make it through, or at least I found that if I send a lot of commands from my wireless Harmony Hub, my wired Roku might actually respond to one or two after a minute or so of constant button tapping.

I've switched back and forth between the January and August builds a few times to see if I could get 5GHz signal, or communication with the wired network working respectively, but sadly I've had no luck. I'm currently on the January build because some devices just won't work without that wireless to wired communication, but I'm desperately missing the WiFi performance from the August build. It was just better across the board, from settings to signal strength. With the January build the 5GHz signal barely makes it out of the room the router is in, and some nearby devices can't even see the 5GHz SSID.

I'm really looking forward to a new build that fixes the network communication issues (or a workaround for it) so I can have the best of both worlds.

Hi Sir

Can I use this firmware EA9500 US version to flash for my EA9400 US version? I searched on forum and someone told that the wifi will not work on EA9400, and if it happened, could you please help me how to fix this issue? I feel tired with OEM Linksys firmware, the router always disconnected wifi after few days continued running. Thanks a lot.

Hello everybody!
Do ports 1-3, 5-6 work on any firmware?
And what kind of extsw interface? Is RGMII/SGMII to another switch?

This wifi blob https://forum.openwrt.org/t/build-for-linksys-ea9500/1817/721 fixed my issues with 5GHz Intel WiFi card compatibility on D-Link DIR885L-A1 / OpenWrt 19.04. I have been using an older blob from 18.06.07 like forever [Firmware: BCM4366/3 wl0: Jan 8 2016 12:54:07 version 10.10.69.3309 (r610991)], but this one [BCM4366/3 wl0: May 31 2017 20:43:28 version 10.10.122.301 (r658909)] is a welcomed improvement! Thanks man!

2 Likes

No EA9500 has a different wifi chip. You could download the firmware for BCM4366 just scroll to the forum its posted by npcomplete, I did it on my EA9400. I believe I was the first one to try it and through the help of @npcomplete the process was fairly easy. I advice you to do it if you want more control and features like VLAN, VPN, lot of stuff. So far, I’ve been on OpenWrt firmware since June.

I also tried flashing the EA9500 before and the wifi didn;t work. So @npcomplete provided me with a different firmware blob for BCM4366.

I've submitted a pull request so that we can have official OpenWrt images:

Cheers!

4 Likes

I'm also planning to enable EA9400 support soon.

Can someone with Non-US EA9500 do this for me:

1. Revert to factory
  2. From Linksys UI flash this
  3. Router should reboot twice.
  4. Send me your experience

This will flash firmware to both the partitions and hence save you hassle of doing it yourself.

Thanks in advance!