Build for Linksys EA9500

I generated the files from OpenWrt. Hence it makes sense to flash them from Openwrt

Could you also release a compiled firmware with the added packages? I generally find those packages useful, and really want to be lazy on this. Thanks

Will try to do that later this month.

Kernel v4.19.23, hardware acceleration (hardware tagging), reverting to factory wifi firmware

-- can you explain a little bit further what you did? I can test this...

Well apart from regular fuctionality like connectivity to internet, dhcp leasing, accessing network shares etc. Please test the performance namely:

1. Internet buffer bloats
  2. Internet upload and download speeds
  3. CPU usage when multiple clients connecting to internet etc.
  4. iperf badwidth tests
  5. wifi bandwidth tests

These tests can be done before and after installation of alpha firmware.

I'm expecting overall cpu usage to drop. Tagging makes use of hardware switching - which faster and traffic no longer gets routed through cpu. This will in turn reduce buffer bloat.

This also means no more custom scripts for this router. And I can send a pull request to finally have EA9500 enabled in OpenWrt for regular builds.

Thanks,

2 Likes

Does this also mean it's not compatible with things like QoS/SQM? I think those rely on the disablement of HW (NAT) acceleration, right?

Super Super Super cool, you've done a great job btw!

1 Like

You are correct - QoS/SQM will take a hit. This router has hardware level support for QoS, but DSA driver doesn't use use it (yet).

1 Like

How does this build do with Gigabit internet?

I have gotten my hands on this router and was able to flash the OS onto the device but with my WRT1900AC running DD-WRT I get full Gigabit speeds on this device I seem to be capped out at 300-400Mbps.

Is this normal or is something wrong?

If it is currently normal is there any plans to fix it in the near future?

I don't think there is any cap on the bandwidth, unfortunately I do not have gigabit internet so can't test your observations.

Did you test the Alpha build?

When using Simple-AdBlock please disable this list:

http://someonewhocares.org/hosts/hosts

It contains domains with characters which break the parsing.

Yes i am running on the Alpha Build, and i did try the Factory OS and it was working fine.

I'll try to do some more testing on my end. In the meantime, can you

1. Perform a factory reset with Alpha firmware
  2. Restart
  3. Try this firmware: https://www.dropbox.com/s/uwmr8h13llh73yz/openwrt-20190220.zip?dl=0

[EDIT]

Also try plugging in ports 4,7,8 vs 1,2,3,5,6

Can you add the tcp congestion algorithm bbr or yeah. I would prefer bbr, if yeah is out of the question.

I deleted it out of the list, but the entry keeps on coming back!

Did you try editing the /etc/config/simple-adblock and commenting it out?

# list blacklist_hosts_url 'http://someonewhocares.org/hosts/hosts'

This time it worked. I saved it, rebooted and it did not show up anymore.

Still the same issue, I tried everything in order as you listed it.

Any other ideas?

Thanks for the testing :+1:
I'll have to check why this could be happening.

Could you verify the output of this:

ethtool lan4

(Where lan4 is the lan port you plug your PC into)

ethtool wan

What are the chances that EA9500 V2 will gain support? I'd read somewhere it uses a new 64bit processor, and so probably can't use your current efforts? Would it be just a matter of recompiling to a new target architecture?

@npcomplete, do you have a V2 to test? (I use to have a v1.1, but it failed, and Linksys sent a v2 as replacement. The 1024gb ram and faster processors seem appealing, but Linksys' software is awfully limited.)

It's completely different architecture which makes it lot more difficult to get OpenWrt to work on it.

I've peeked at the source code and a lot of stuff is still missing in mainline kernel. Moreover I finally sold my Asus GT-AC5300 that had same architecture.

If I were you, I'd sell the router and instead get a Qotom i3 box with multiple lan ports. Then run pfsense on opnsense on it.