Belkin RT3200/Linksys E8450 WiFi AX discussion

this is you test the fiber :wink:

@daniel I'm building my own openwrt image.
So far I've only used Archer C7 v2 and v5.
I started from scratch (no .config) and applied the changes I want (obviously selecting the RT3200 target, but also wireguard, sqm, adblock, dawn, etc).
Do I need to check extra firmware or boot loader stuff?

U-Boot and ARM Trusted Firmware are only needed once in order to replace the stock bootchain with UBI-aware loader.
In case you have already run the UBI installer (or if you are planning to use the device with stock loader and flash-layout) you won't need any of that.

1 Like

Thank you, I've already switched to UBI following this recipe:

Thanks for this. My laptop's AX210 is much happier staying connected to the 5ghz radio now.

2 Likes

Do the poweroff and reboot commands work ok for you? I use my self compiled images and I have no issue except for the strange behavior of these commands: poweroff seems to trigger a restart (but there is a small delay like 1 minute before the router starts up again, unlike the instant startup triggered by a firmware update) and reboot triggers a ... complete shutdown i.e. the router doesn't want to start up again and I need to cycle off-on the power switch.

I haven’t tried the power off command, but I have seen the reboot problem (not booting back up, power cycle needed) and traced it back to changing the cpu from performance to on demand, set back to performance and it rebooted normally, so you might check your settings to see if any recent changes you made could be the cause.

Ah, you're right, I am using ondemand because the default scaling (userspace?) keeps the CPU at 1350000 all the time (which does not seem right...). But it is strange why this setting affects the reboot command and not the reboot trigered by firmware update? What kind of restart command it is issued din this case?

The firmware update removes the on demand setting and puts back the default performance, so that’s why the reboot after update is ok.

I changed the governor to schedutil. The reboot command works fine, poweroff still does not (the router starts up after a minute or so). Thanks for the ideas.

Does this fix non-ubi snapshot builds?

I tried to flash the latest non-ubi snapshot and it didn't boot up for me.

After 3 tries, the device booted up the backup factory partition.

Do I need to follow any specific instructions? as per the wiki, I used the sysupgrade file to flash via the belkin UI.

Anyone else able to flash latest non-ubi snapshots successfully?

I don't believe it does. I had expected (based on the comments from Daniel) that that non-UBI snapshots would work after the driver fix was merged but it didn't work for me when I tried it. I even went to the store to grab a new router since my other set of 2 is already running stable for my home.

However, for some reason if you flash an older version of non-UBI snapshot and then flash the latest non-UBI snapshot, it will accept the firmware for some reason. I haven't had the time to investigate why though. PM me if you want the bin.

Hi hlew, Thanks for the offer, I don't plan to flash an older version right now. will let you know in case i change my mind.

BTW with the bad flash of snapshot is one of the partitions(slot) on the router now unusable? is there any way to restore it back to factory or sync it with the good partition?

I am just worried that I have only one attempt left to flash openwrt, as in case it goes wrong I won't have any good partition/slot left to boot up a working router.

You'll be fine. This router isn't like WRT3200ACM which writes back and forth between two firmware flash locations. Based on my own testing, I've not been able to write a bad firmware image without the recovery mechanism returning to the OEM image. This is assuming you don't mess with the boot chain though.

Thanks so much! I was trying to search on the A/B partition topic for routers but couldn't find a good answer.

Hopefully in few weeks the issues with the snapshot would be resolved.

I will be waiting and am sure many technically challenged people like me would be waiting for that to happen.

Does anyone have clear information about the status of HW NAT offloading for this device? I have read several posts but I haven't been clarified, most of them write about work in progress (for example: https://forum.openwrt.org/t/802-11ax-routers/10484/222) but I did not find final conclusions. My tests did not show a clear difference when activating the "hardware flow offloading" checkbox.

It works fine.

I flashed this image: openwrt-mediatek-mt7622-linksys_e8450-ubi-initramfs-recovery.itb from stock to perform a flash backup.

After power cycling the router keeps booting back to the recovery image. How can I solve this and boot back to stock to start installing?

To anyone with this issue in the future: After you turn off your router, wait a couple secs before turning it back on and it will boot back to normal.

hello after configurate the wireless how to restart properly