Belkin RT3200/Linksys E8450 WiFi AX discussion

Want to confirm HE160/VHT160 is working.
Intel AX200NGW (2x2) reports link speed 2402mbps. iperf is around 900Mbps

To use 160MHz (HE160 or VHT160), channel must set to any lower 80MHz channels of the 160MHz channel (i.e. channel 36 - 48 for 5250MHz, channel 100-112 for 5570MHz) and wait for DFS (1min). Once it's up, logread should show wlan1: AP-ENABLED. -- Strangely, if I use higher 80MHz channels, the radio can be enabled, but no device can connect.

Does that mean actual 4.8Gbps AX speed if 4x4 is used? :star_struck: I don't have a device to test.

6 Likes

Hello is anybody having any problem booting on the latest snapshot via auc?
Updating via auc hasn't resulting is a successful reboot in the last 36hours.
Thankyou Daniel for the recovery instructions Or wouldn't be able to post this

I ordinary wouldn't want to update my router so often but as WiFi 6 seems to be a working progress and progressing quite fast recently. I just can't help myself.
Longing for the days of a long term release with ax support... As a side note anybody know where to make a request for the included packages in the releases. As native ipv6 and tunneling ip4 is becoming increasingly common in japan

What is auc ?? I have download a last snapshot no problèm for me

@daniel I recently sourced some proper JST PH 6 pin serial cables and as I also have earlier Linksys devices like a WRT3200ACM and a WRT32X I noticed that while the pinout is really the exact same (and my cables indeed work on all of them) you used a different notation for the E8450 (e.g. likely RX/TX from the PC rather than the target point of view). One can easily see what I am talking about looking at the following pages:

(Those all have the same picture.)

Do you agree to streamline this? Should I do the edit or you still have the source of that image?

1 Like

Same here. I end up went to failsafe, manual bring up Internet, wget and sysupgrade. failsafe was also half broken: mount_root, firstboot, sftp-server don't work.

Yes, please go ahead, always glad to see things converge :slight_smile:

I had the same issue. It's due to the recent kernel update but it's working now.

I'm trying to figure out how we can get the (current) TIB file from auc because I'd love to have this 'working' version in my backups (just in case).

1 Like

I like that idea, now I know its working again i just used the easy oem install script but added the extra package that i need, now that i now the current snapshot is bootable.

1 Like

Nice! Keep me posted if you find anything. I used the Luci-AUC and it worked and have been using auc via CLI again.

We can probably generate our sysupgrade.tib package if you know what packages we need via: https://chef.libremesh.org/

@daniel , can you tell us what packages were included in your build? I really like the way it's put together. Thanks again!

@daniel @kaaku3 I GOT IT!

I built one with everything that I personally use:
attendedsysupgrade-common auc banip base-files bcp38 blockdev busybox ca-bundle cgi-io dnsmasq dropbear firewall fstools fwtool getrandom hostapd-common ip-tiny ip6tables ipset iptables iw jshn jsonfilter kmod-asn1-decoder kmod-cfg80211 kmod-crypto-hash kmod-crypto-kpp kmod-crypto-lib-blake2s kmod-crypto-lib-chacha20 kmod-crypto-lib-chacha20poly1305 kmod-crypto-lib-curve25519 kmod-crypto-lib-poly1305 kmod-gpio-button-hotplug kmod-ip6tables kmod-ipt-conntrack kmod-ipt-core kmod-ipt-ipset kmod-ipt-nat kmod-ipt-offload kmod-ipt-raw kmod-leds-gpio kmod-lib-crc-ccitt kmod-lib-textsearch kmod-mac80211 kmod-mt76-connac kmod-mt76-core kmod-mt7615-common kmod-mt7615-firmware kmod-mt7615e kmod-mt7915e kmod-nf-conntrack kmod-nf-conntrack6 kmod-nf-flow kmod-nf-ipt kmod-nf-ipt6 kmod-nf-nat kmod-nf-nathelper-extra kmod-nf-reject kmod-nf-reject6 kmod-nfnetlink kmod-nls-base kmod-ppp kmod-pppoe kmod-pppox kmod-scsi-core kmod-slhc kmod-udptunnel4 kmod-udptunnel6 kmod-usb-core kmod-usb-storage kmod-usb-storage-uas kmod-usb-xhci-hcd kmod-usb3 kmod-wireguard libblobmsg-json libc libgcc libip4tc libip6tc libipset libiwinfo-lua libiwinfo libjson-c libjson-script liblua liblucihttp-lua liblucihttp libmnl libncurses libnl-tiny libopenssl-conf libopenssl libowipcalc libpthread librt libubox libubus-lua libubus libuci libuclient libustream-openssl libxtables logd lua luci luci-app-attendedsysupgrade luci-app-banip luci-app-bcp38 luci-app-commands luci-app-firewall luci-app-opkg luci-app-wireguard luci-base luci-compat luci-lib-base luci-lib-ip luci-lib-jsonc luci-lib-nixio luci-mod-admin-full luci-mod-network luci-mod-status luci-mod-system luci-proto-ipv6 luci-proto-ppp luci-proto-wireguard luci-ssl-openssl luci-theme-bootstrap luci-theme-openwrt-2020 nano netifd odhcp6c odhcpd-ipv6only openssl-util openwrt-keyring opkg owipcalc ppp ppp-mod-pppoe procd procd-ujail rpcd rpcd-mod-file rpcd-mod-iwinfo rpcd-mod-luci rpcd-mod-rpcsys rpcd-mod-rrdns terminfo ubi-utils uboot-envtools ubox ubus ubusd uci uclient-fetch uhttpd uhttpd-mod-ubus urandom-seed urngd usign wg-installer-server wireguard-tools wireless-regdb wpad-openssl

https://chef.libremesh.org/store/SNAPSHOT/mediatek/mt7622/linksys_e8450-ubi/b39b7f04ad96/openwrt-b39b7f04ad96-mediatek-mt7622-linksys_e8450-ubi-squashfs-sysupgrade.itb

1 Like

guys, can you help me, please

1. it is brand new Belkin RT3200
  2. I'm uploading openwrt-mediatek-mt7622-linksys_e8450-squashfs-sysupgrade.biin in the vendor firmware Web UI upgrade page
  3. after that 192.168.1.1 is ERR_CONNECTION_REFUSED
  4. DHCP is working
  5. I'm trying to reset it, push reset button and swith on the router, but the colour of indicater still white, it reboots, and that's all

use recovery install and after sysupgrade.bin like this thread

Do you get that when trying to open 192.168.1.1 in browser? If so, and if you are installing a snapshot image (afaik there are no releases for this router yet), it likely doesn't have the LuCi (web interface) installed. You can install it by connecting via ssh and issuing opkg update && opkg install luci

Im trying to set up two of those for mesh and it seems i cant get 160mhz working (config made with uci). Any advice? I already tested a bunch of channels like 36, 52 and 100. I always land on vht80 or he40. What is the exact version of your firmware?

Edit: can you please show me your wireless config with working vht/he160?

I'm using snapshot r16750-f716c30241
I never used mesh (on openwrt) personally. I'll would try one as AP and one as station first.
What's your iw wlan1 info?

root@RT3200-1:~# uci show wireless.radio1
wireless.radio1=wifi-device
wireless.radio1.type='mac80211'
wireless.radio1.hwmode='11a'
wireless.radio1.path='1a143000.pcie/pci0000:00/0000:00:00.0/0000:01:00.0'
wireless.radio1.htmode='HE160'
wireless.radio1.channel='112'
wireless.radio1.country='US'
wireless.radio1.cell_density='0'
root@RT3200-1:~# uci show wireless.default_radio1
wireless.default_radio1=wifi-iface
wireless.default_radio1.device='radio1'
wireless.default_radio1.network='lan'
wireless.default_radio1.mode='ap'
wireless.default_radio1.ssid='xxxx'
wireless.default_radio1.encryption='psk2'
wireless.default_radio1.key='xxxx'
wireless.default_radio1.ieee80211r='1'
wireless.default_radio1.ft_over_ds='1'
wireless.default_radio1.ft_psk_generate_local='1'
root@RT3200-1:~# iw wlan1 info
Interface wlan1
        ifindex 15
        wdev 0x100000002
        addr xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx
        ssid xxxx
        type AP
        wiphy 1
        channel 112 (5560 MHz), width: 160 MHz, center1: 5570 MHz
        txpower 23.00 dBm
        multicast TXQ:
                qsz-byt qsz-pkt flows   drops   marks   overlmt hashcol tx-bytestx-packets
                0       0       5323    0       0       0       0       12869645795
root@RT3200-1:~# iw wlan1 station dump
Station xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx (on wlan1)
        inactive time:  1610 ms
        rx bytes:       231587
        rx packets:     1751
        tx bytes:       124214
        tx packets:     390
        tx retries:     0
        tx failed:      0
        rx drop misc:   0
        signal:         17 [-52, -37, 17, 17] dBm
        signal avg:     108 [-54, -40, 108, 108] dBm
        tx bitrate:     2161.3 MBit/s 160MHz HE-MCS 10 HE-NSS 2 HE-GI 0 HE-DCM 0
        tx duration:    3169525 us
        rx bitrate:     2268.5 MBit/s 160MHz HE-MCS 11 HE-NSS 2 HE-GI 1 HE-DCM 0
        rx duration:    108681 us
        airtime weight: 256
        authorized:     yes
        authenticated:  yes
        associated:     yes
        preamble:       short
        WMM/WME:        yes
        MFP:            no
        TDLS peer:      no
        DTIM period:    2
        beacon interval:100
        short preamble: yes
        short slot time:yes
        connected time: 59 seconds
        associated at [boottime]:       551.532s
        associated at:  1621722284165 ms
        current time:   1621722342759 ms
1 Like

Hi all,

I am looking to install OpenWRT on the Belkin router. Following the advice to backup all mtdblocks, I flashed the "recovery" (not recovery-installer) image. I was able to backup mtdblock 0-3 which I have saved. I did not find any volume called boot_backup, however, so I'm assuming that's performed by the recovery-installer image.

So, from this state, how do I continue to install OpenWRT. It's not clear to me if I'm able to flash the recovery-installer at this point?

If it can't be done from this state, what should I do to get to a state where I have more options? Flash an image (which one?) from luci or is it better to utilize TFTP recovery and flash something through that? If so, to which image, or can/should I flash vendor/stock firmware from there and begin anew?

The goal is to get OpenWRT with UBI properly installed on the router. This includes whatever install is performed by the "recovery-installer", but if I read correctly the best way to have taken backup was to first boot into "recovery".

Thanks for any help you can provide.

oh god, thank you!

probably we need to write in FAQ, that you need to install LuCi. And other question, why Reset button is not working.