Belkin RT3200/Linksys E8450 WiFi AX discussion

Got some cheap external antennas with the intention of permanently setting them up.

Close by and through walls, there was only about a ~3db difference so I'm going to pass.

1 Like

Not sure if this is the right place to ask, but i had it working in a previous build with what i think is the current settings.

My internet is native ipv6 (ipv6 over ethernet), ipv4 is via an ipv4 over ipv6 tunnel.
the router does have an ipv6 address and the ipv4 tunnel is working just fine, but i cannot forward the native ipv6 to lan. all ipv6 related setting under the lan dhcp menu are set to relay and while it doesnt show up in the luci web config under DHCPv6 client that interface also has all ipv6 related setting under dhcp server set to relay. (Need change to static address to set up the ipv6 setting then change back to dhcpv6 client). It would be nice for luci to show those setting under dhcpv6 clint menu too.

Anyway this worked before but is not now. Does anybody know if this is broken in recent builds or perhaps a configuration error?

@kaaku3 if you're no longer getting an external IPv6 address, the chances are it's because you're now communicating with a local DHCP server rather than your ISP's provided DHCP.

I'm guessing your router connects to some kind of modem - if that's the case, you'll need to make sure your modem is in "modem only" or "passthrough" mode.

If you think it's a firmware issue, try plugging the same ethernet cable into another device and set the device up as a DHCP client - if you still get a local IP, it's unlikely to be a firmware issue.

1 Like

thankyou for the replay, i know its not an issue with the "modem" i have an onu if i plug the ethernet cable directly into a pc then i get ipv6 only internet automaticaly ipv4 works after setup becuase its ipv4over6 network.
The router is getting a public ipv6 address,(ipv4 wouldnt work without it), is just openwrt is not passing through ipv6 to any other devices.
My guess is if i set up a local dhcpv6 server that would work but i would rather my devices to have a public ipv6 address.
i could have set it up wrong, but i'm quite sure it was working previously with the same settings.

also the onu doesnt not have any setting page, buttons or switches it just a power jack, fibre input and and an ethernet jack

Usually such external antennas won't help and sometimes they make situation even worst.

1 Like

Unfortunately the reach is very bad :frowning:

I can’t even get a stable 2.4 ghz signal on my balcony, 7 meters away from the router.

My Xiaomi R3pro was significantly better and used a mediatek 7615 chip same company and same specs, apparat from lacking ax support for the mt7615.

I have some spare high gain omnidirectional antennas from a r7800. Will try those over the weekend and do some testing.

Do you guys know by any chance which antenna port on the router board belongs to the 2.4 and which to the 5ghz spectrum?
Are the two antennas in our router separated in terms of the spectrum or both combined 2.4 + 5ghz?

Whoops, I'm wondering if I have accidentally bricked mine trying to install for the first time, by flashing ubi-initramfs-recovery.itb (instead of ubi-initramfs-recovery-installer.itb) then ubi-squashfs-sysupgrade.itb.

Totally my fault -- I should have looked at the filenames more carefully. I'm assuming this probably has overwritten the bootloader because nothing seems to happen when holding down the Reset button during powerup? ¯_(ツ)_/¯

If nothing else, a cautionary tale for others.

The stock bootloader should have remained untouched by what you did, but probably you now have two non-working images flashed (ubi-initramfs-recovery.itb as primary and ubi-squashfs-sysupgrade.itb in as secondary image). You may have to wire up a serial console to flash back the stock firmware (or ubi-initramfs-recovery-installer.itb) via TFTP, I'm not aware of any other way to recover when still running the stock loader at this point.

4 Likes

Thankyou to everybody that tried to help, ipv6 relay is working now.
I factory reset the router then manually set set it back up the exact same way it was before. Only difference is now it works. Cant tell if it was a mistake on my part or not.

1 Like

can you post you cat /etc/config for ipv6 please thanks

are you changed the ip lan to router 192.168.1.1 thanks

sorry i dont really inderstand the reply. yes luci ui address is 192.168.1.1.
its working fine now, what the problem was, i guess we will never know

ok download putty

i connect to you router

then root

then make cat /etc/config/network

cat /etc/config/dhcp

thanks hidden the mac adress for you

No i mean thankyou for your help, but im not sure what good that would do now as its working the way it should and i prefere not to post any logs that might have personally identifiable information.
But i appreciate the thought, thankyou

If the router is oriented upright, the two on the left are for the 5ghz radio

Sometimes I'm unsure if everybody here is on the same page, never the less support for this router is still a working progress and early days and I'm grateful to anybody that has any insite.
Let's hope as any open source project support just keeps getting better and better.

Before I go ahead and make a separate thread about this, out of curiosity, what was your config for SQM?

Despite relatively low CPU usage at load (~30%) I'm getting bottlenecked at ~250Mbit/s on WAN when SQM is enabled (cake, ingress shaping at high values such as 4Gbit). Disabling SQM, I get anywhere from 300-400Mbit/s.

Kinda stumped at the moment - would be great to know if others are seeing this!

1 Like

Sure, I dont have it setup anymore, but I always use this same config just change the value for interface, download, and upload.

config queue 'wan'
        option enabled '1'
        option interface 'wan'
        option download '1048576'
        option upload '1048576'
        option qdisc 'cake'
        option ingress_ecn 'ECN'
        option egress_ecn 'NOECN'
        option linklayer 'none'
        option verbosity '7'
        option qdisc_advanced '1'
        option squash_dscp '1'
        option squash_ingress '1'
        option debug_logging '1'
        option script 'piece_of_cake.qos'
        option qdisc_really_really_advanced '1'
        option iqdisc_opts 'nat dual-dsthost'
        option eqdisc_opts 'nat dual-srchost'

In reality you want to set your upload and download to your actual internet speed.

Did you use htop to check the CPU? htop has a nice graph for each cpu and shows interrupt/kernel time.

thanks!

I installed two of those (https://www.delock.de/produkte/G_88899/merkmale.html?setLanguage=en).

Signal is much better now. RSSI dropped from -53 dBm to -45 dBm. Speed in AC mode seems to be not negatively affected. Will do some further testing but so far it looks very promising :).

Now I need to find a way of a proper install in the housing, duct tape looks quite rubbish :smiley:

2 Likes

Thanks! Might be a bug with the latest release - I did check CPU usage and it never got close to 100% so not quite sure what the issue is.

Anywhoo, switching fo fd_codel fixed the issue.

Strange - I think I have the same antenna (got it from a different site) and I wasn't seeing the same results unfortunately. That being said, the pigtail connector it came with was incredibly thin which might have been the issue.