Belkin RT3200/Linksys E8450 WiFi AX discussion

Issues with flow offloading should be resolved by

Please retest and report if there are any flow-offloading-related issues remaining after this commit.

2 Likes

I'm happy to hear the instructions work well even for non-experts :wink:

Having automated updates is generally a nice thing to have. You can of course just as well manually flash the updated 22.03.1, 22.03.2, ... releases once they appear, but then you loose any packages you may have installed in addition to the default package set. So for simplicity, I'd recommend to install either luci-app-attendedsysupgrade or auc.

Apart from (more or less) regular stable releases we also have (more or less) daily ongoing development snapshots. The main development branch in our git tree is called "master" for historic reasons.
Snapshot are intended for testing and development, they may not be stable (or even work at all).
As this device is first supported by the 22.03.0 release, many users here were using those snapshot builds before the release was published.

This is mostly needed for ISP-provided IPTV. You may need to install and configure igmpproxy for that. I have never tried that myself and don't know if there are any issues related to that. Anyone?

Some users have reported better wireless performance and/or range when using MediaTek's proprietary driver. However, that comes at the cost of using MediaTek's WiFi driver stack instead of the Linux kernel's mac80211 which generally receives most attention from open source developers. Hence, while MediaTek's proprietary drivers may have slightly better results in terms of range and throughput in some situations with some some clients, buffer bloat is an issue with that driver and latency has been reported to be much better with the open source mt76 driver which comes with OpenWrt.

As users have posted ready-made binary packages providing the proprietary driver, you can simply try yourself if using the proprietary drivers is more suitable for you (ie. if you have problems or unexpected low range/throughput with specific clients).

5 Likes

i'm using proprietary wifi drivers. this is another device, xiaomi 3200, but same radios as RT3200, also i'm using proprietary hardware nat drivers. i'm on 22.03.0. I need to say that the strange think is: the radio 5ghz have a better range than the 2.4 ,even across walls, that looks strange for me. also on mt76 too.

I'm trying to figure out what causes it, but I still have a long way to go before I understand what auc is doing here. I imagine it is due to the order in which the packages are built. If I add libwolfsslcpu-crypto and I take out libustream-wolfssl from the package list, it will build the image.

What I recommend, if you want to test it, is to use the image with regular libwolfssl, then install libwolfsslcpu-crypto with --force-overwrite:

opkg update
opkg install --force-overwrite libwolfsslcpu-crypto
opkg remove libwolfssl5.5.0.e624513f
1 Like

auc doesn't resolve dependencies on it's own, it merely submits the list of selected packages to the asu server and that passes it to the OpenWrt ImageBuilder which then uses opkg to resolve dependencies.

This work but only if you use

opkg remove --force-depends libwolfssl5.5.0.e624513f

Just rebooted and everything seems to work fine :grinning:
If you need a tester, let me know.

It appears that asu is sorting the list "to be reproducible." Turning the sorting off would result in possibly unnecessary builds.

So, even if we change target.mk to install the accelerated version by default, it would not change the way that the Firmware Selector works.

An alternative would be to add an empty 00-prefer-libwolfsslcpu-crypto package that will only list libwolfsslcpu-crypto as dependency, and have people use it when building the firmware...

1 Like

Thanks @daniel

I had already installed this and even used this with my previous RPi running openwrt

But in recent days I saw issues reported in this thread about attendedsysupgrade

Just wanted to clarify if this is only an issue with snapshot and master build?

Not an issue with 22.03.0 stable release like i am using?

Thanks again

Correct, this only affected the snapshot builds as some package dependencies had been introduced causing auc/attended sysupgrade to bork on those builds. This has been resolved and it's working with snapshots again, but never affected the 22.03 release builds.

1 Like

I tried updating with auc about an hour ago and it failed. I posted a separate thread with the output as I'm not sure what it means. I will try again tomorrow and hope it works then. Maybe some of the packages I am using still need to figure out their dependencies?

Arrrg, old "invalid argument (22)" again. I thought @aparcar had that one fixed a couple weeks (months? time flies) ago...

The problem @v2zEPhNxdm was referring to was the issue with the libwolfssl libraries, so this looks like it may be something different.

1 Like

Confirming that HW offloading issues are fixed with latest commits :+1:

4 Likes

Is it in the latest snapshot image?

I don't think so, better wait for the next one. I tested with my own personalized build. The latest fix was posted 13 hours ago.

1 Like

OpenWrt SNAPSHOT r20775-165b66d910 seems to work fine.

1 Like

Is this still correct?
On my router wed is enabled but there is no mtk_ppe folder. However on debug there are two wed folders, wed0 and wed1.
Both containing three files: regidx, regval and txinfo.

Here are my results using 165b66d910 snapshot (today) and enabling wed. The connection is 1Gbit:

Wired:

Wireless: (mac book air m1 client)

CPU was under 30% for wireless, and very low for wired.

2 Likes

What is wed and how can I enable it to test? I use my RT3200 as a dumb AP. Will wed offer me anything?

Can you try the steps below?

1 Like

UPDATE: I was able to work around the issue I was having by building a custom image here and force updating in LuCI.

1 Like