Belkin RT3200/Linksys E8450 WiFi AX discussion

That's why I said, use at your own peril.
However you did something different. If I look under installed packages I see this installed:

libwolfssl5.5.0.b96ceda0
5.5.0-stable-2

Somewhat relevant: https://github.com/openwrt/openwrt/pull/10727

The goal is to get rid of wolfssl by default. It has been a consistent pain point after it was defaulted.

3 Likes

Can I upgrade to 22.03.0 stable version? rn I am on OpenWrt 22.03.0-rc6 r19590-042d558536 firmware. Will I face any issues with wifi?

Yes and no

What's the issue with wifi? Rn my 2.4 ghz band is very bad. I have the signal and stuffs but the connection keeps buffering.

Just a head's up that the current SNAPSHOT r20725-dce035bb71 breaks WAN connectivity (for me at least). The network status / overview info. disappears shortly after startup. I connect using PPPoE and 6to4 tunneling.

1 Like

I have the exact opposite experience while I live in an apartment with loads of neighbouring WiFi networks.
Which device keeps buffering? There are some chipsets who play to their own rules.

For those using master snapshots or builds, be aware that in the last couple of days there have been commits introducing issues that make the router almost unusable. Both LAN and WLAN networks are very unstable. It seems there is a work in progress to enable wed acceleration for MT7986 (which works both ways Rx-Tx) but currently it isn't working for our router, for example the usual command cat /sys/kernel/debug/mtk_ppe/bind returns "file not found".

1 Like

I see no issues. The last time the mt76 driver was updated with 15-Sep.

1 Like

The path in debugfs was moved to /sys/kernel/debug/ppe0/bind, because more modern SoCs do have more than one PPE instance.

As you are saying things became "very unstable", can you be more specific about what exactly became unstable and how this instability shows, and please also share your configuration, so I can try to reproduce your problems.

2 Likes

The main issue is that all clients, wlan or lan, disconnect after a couple of minutes. The issue was present even without hw acceleration enabled. I am trying now a build just before the new ppe commit to see if this was the cause.
LE: I am back at commit 524f52a471 and it seems ok now. It took a while until I realized that git reset commit does not delete the new patches... I've sent you an email with my config if you want to test. Regards.

2 Likes

Running the master build from two days ago and have zero problems with devices disconnecting.

1 Like

So it seems HW offloading (possibly combined with PPPoE - waiting for Daniel's tests) is the cause of issues for builds after the 524f52a471 commit.

Got the same error and no PPPoE but with WED enabled and HW offload.

1 Like

@Jack007 @geminis3 this commit should fix Attended Sysupgrade:
wolfssl: prefer regular libwolfssl over cpu-crypto - https://github.com/openwrt/openwrt/commit/d08c9da43cf364712e947d5faa3ab84d995dd0ec

Unable to test myself until tomorrow evening.

2 Likes

@Bartvz Thanks.
I will test it as soon as that other issue is solved.

Hello, looking for advice on an error message:

I saw this commit which looks to fix instability issues with recent SNAPSHOTs.

https://git.openwrt.org/?p=openwrt/openwrt.git;a=commit;h=4ed90e84f87e8284cb98d0ed99de041a8a4cde35

But when I tried to upgrade, I got this ominous looking error message:

/home/aparcar/asu/worker1/cache/SNAPSHOT/mediatek/mt7622/build_dir/target-
aarch64_cortex-a53_musl/linux-mediatek_mt7622/tmp/openwrt-5be5be5b6ead-mediatek-
mt7622-linksys_e8450-ubi-squashfs-sysupgrade.itb.its:54.11-56.6: Warning 
(unit_address_vs_reg): /images/rootfs-1/hash@2: node has a unit name, but no reg or 
ranges property

Do you think it's safe to force this upgrade or should I wait for a future SNAPSHOT?

Thanks as always for all you do!

The libwolfssl issue should be resolved for this target now (aarch_generic and aarch_cortex-a72 are still waiting for a build). I tested it with the Firmware Selector and it appears to work.

2 Likes

Yup, it works normally again :partying_face:

However say, I want to use
libwolfsslcpu-crypto using Attended Sysupgrade how would I go about it? Simply adding the package throws a

[libwolfsslcpu-crypto] Checking for Arm v8-A Cryptographic Extension support: ...[offline]... OK
Collected errors:
 * check_data_file_clashes: Package libwolfsslcpu-crypto5.5.0.e624513f wants to install file /home/aparcar/asu/worker1/cache/SNAPSHOT/mediatek/mt7622/build_dir/target-aarch64_cortex-a53_musl/root-mediatek/usr/lib/libwolfssl.so.5.5.0.e624513f
	But that file is already provided by package  * libwolfssl5.5.0.e624513f
 * opkg_install_cmd: Cannot install package libwolfsslcpu-crypto.

Is this possible using AS or do I need to setup a build environment?

I am not very good with IT stuff.

But I followed the instructions at @daniel 's github and the post install tips on RT3200 openwrt website.

I had 22.03 main stable release working in under 10 minutes - to my own surprise :grinning:

Thanks daniel for the crystal clear instructions :pray:

I got this only Walmart sale (thanks to people sharing that info on this thread) - now I wish i bought 2 or 3 of them !

Only 3 questions for some of the 'issues' discussed the past few days here:

1. Do I need to worry about this "Attended Sysupgrade:" issue with main 22.03 stable release? Or its only an issue with snapshots or "master build"
  • what is the master build ?
  1. igmp snooping and multicast issue ? I've left the stock 22.03 build as is and everything is working fine. I don't touch these settings

2. MTK and mt76 drivers issues ? I've left the stock 22.03 build as is and WiFi works fine so far

Appreciate clarification if anyone can help

1 Like