Belkin RT3200/Linksys E8450 WiFi AX discussion

bit of info oh how you did it?

fwiw, any good as an OpenVPN router?

I wonder what is the maximum openvpn speed through the RT3200?

Yes it is 2.5 Gbps.

1 Like

sell em to others in need of a good device?

Its pretty good, I range from a minimum 0f 80mbps down to a max 140 down depending on server/provider, usually average around 90-100, not too far off from what I get with an rpi4 (130-140).

1 Like

Why don't you use WireGuard?

1 Like

Just a combination of laziness and not really needing it, my plan is only 200 down, so getting around 100 is fine, but I've got it installed, just a matter of getting around to it one of these days.

1 Like

Just use the functionality provided by the built in bonding packages. Bond any two switch ports removed from the bridge.

You could also roll your own scripts to set that up (afaik the GUI config makes some assumptions?) - I was lazy and didn't attempt to bridge the bond interface with the wireless one.

Good luck though, pretty sure this won't net you significant improvements for wireless IRL unless you're right next to it.

@nbd Hello Felix & team, I saw today the new commit (kernel: backport mtk wlan flow offloading fix) so I compiled latest versions from master and made new tests. Unfortunately, wed is still not working for NAT WAN-WLAN connections, only for local LAN-WLAN connections. I tested with both firewall3 and firewall4, the same situation. Thank you & all contributors for keeping track of this issue.

6 Likes

I thought I'd just chime in to say that RC5 on the RT3200 has been my best router experience ever, by far. Performance, range and stability are all flawless!

Thanks!

3 Likes

I'm interested in trying RC5, but am already on latest snapshot.
Is there anything I need to watch out for if I downgrade to RC5? (Should I just wipe/reset the entire router and setup from scratch?)

Why downgrade? Snapshots are in general stable particularly on this hardware.

If you mean from latest 22.03-SNAPSHOT then I think it's just below and keep settings.

auc -b 22.03 -B 22.03.0-rc5

While using the default sysupgrade server: https://sysupgrade.openwrt.org

If you mean from master branch with 5.15 kernel maybe you would need to restore settings?

1 Like

is the RT3200 the device "to go" in 2022?
any disadvantages over ath9k/ath10k ?
ath11k won't be ready this year I think?

Yeah 5.15 kernel. I'll probably just wipe and configure everything again.
I assume its not safe to use the backup/restore settings

In my experience, the 2.4Ghz wifi on the RT3200 is not great. Otherwise amazing router.

I recently switched to a Netgear WAX202 because I want better 2.4ghz wifi.

1 Like

You can safely keep settings between snapshot and 22.03.x images, there have been no changes relevant to configuration (other platforms were converted from swconfig to DSA, and that makes configuration incompatible. there is a warning in case, grep for COMPAT_VERSION).

2 Likes

2.4GHz wifi should have been stabilized significantly by

which contained

(thanks to @mrkiko who didn't get tired to bug MediaTek about the problems, esp. with Apple devices)

6 Likes

that's interesting. I was probably using an older version.

In any case, I'll take ax on 2.4ghz any day.

One other thing I've noticed with the RT3200 is that 160MHz channel width doesn't result in faster speeds vs. 80. The MT7915DBDC doesn't support 160MHz.

I thought it did but only in 2x2 antenna config and not 4x4?

1 Like