Asus TUF AX4200 support

I've uploaded a backup of both factory partitions, Factory and Factory2 here from my ax4200tuf:

These instructions might be of help to get them flashed.

Here is a full ubi0 backup incase you need it:

3 Likes

Hi, I ordered this router yesterday and I have some questions:
1- Can you increase the Wi-Fi power on the original firmware?
2- Is it possible to install OpenWRT with a graphical interface on it without disassembling the router?
3- Finally, can you revert to the original firmware after installing OpenWRT without soldering, etc.?

Ask Asus.

If you'd have read the thread, you'd have known it's a no.

Since already have it set up for installing, it doesn't really matter if you also needed for uninstalling.

2 Likes

just wanted to say thank you System is running again

2 Likes

Hello, I just filled the TUF-AX4200's Wiki Page.
In the past, someone created two other blank pages for the same model, I found no way to get them deleted.

tuf ax4200, ax4200.

I used the already existing hwdata page, but the name does not match the wiki page: asus_ax4200 - perhaps it can be renamed to tuf-ax4200 ?

This is my first wiki page, and I'm not sure about the tags and the hwdata, I'd appreciate it if someone could look over it.

3 Likes

Hi everyone. Among those who have flashed this router with OpenWRT, what speeds have you noticed, wireless and wired? Would it be able to take advantage of a Gigabit connection? I read this thread from 2 years ago that said it was basically impossible for all-in-one routers under OpenWRT to do so, but this one is recent so I'm wondering. Thanks!

Edit: just saw this post, sorry!

Hey @ptthstr

Symmetric 1Gbit/s NAT is no problem :slight_smile:
With iPerf3 I can saturate the 2,5G port with at least 2,3G

Good to know, thank you!

1 Like

Another question for those who have tried it: can the AX4200 handle SQM at Gigabit speeds? Thanks!

with 1.4 ghz processor you can sqm to 400/400

if you want calculate aproximative with ax4200 asus

for the nat witouth sqm he work with fiber easy

1 Like

I’m pretty much sure its Quad core ARM53 CPU, with 2GHz and irqbalance installed, will have no problems handling 1/1Gbps SQM cake.

I’m expecting the router to arrive this week, so will confirm once OpenWRT is installed.

Is there anyone who already has it that can say for sure?

2 Likes

yes so this test ?? do you has a good sqm with this

A post was split to a new topic: Selecting a USB-TTL adapter and installing OpenWrt onto Asus TIF AX4200

I see that 23.05 came out, is this device included? I know it's in snapshot currently.

https://firmware-selector.openwrt.org/?version=23.05.0&target=mediatek%2Ffilogic&id=asus_tuf-ax4200

No soldering is required to flash this router.

Opening the case is quite easy: carefully remove the 4 pads under the router, it reveals 4 holes for the screws. Remove the screws, then start prying the top open FROM THE BACK. No tools are required, just pull the top with tip of your fingers and push the back in a bit with the other hand and it will come. Once you worked the back open, work your way towards the front on the sides, the front will come off after moving the cover a bit up and down whilst pushing it towards the front.

Use a USB Serial TTL (3.3v) interface. The wires must be of the type with pins (pogo) used for breadboards. Insert the pins into the corresponding GND, TX and RX (ONLY!) to the right of the routers' motherboard. NO NEED TO SOLDER, the holes are wider, but just doing this will get a stable serial connection. Then follow the instructions in the first post. NOTE: you can use any IP address for your TFTP server and for your router, you don't have to stick to the IPs indicated above (needless to say they must be in the same subnet).

If the brightness of the LEDs bother you, this is the time to get a sharpie pen and color the bottom of the plastic LED lens glued to the case top, it will dim them.

Since it is quite likely that you will not need the serial anymore (unless you are a developer, you want to re-install the original firmware or you brick your router), no need to leave wires dangling outside either.

1 Like

This Asus TUF AX4200 might not have an ethernet switch as good as other routers of different makes/models.

I found out that I had a device possibly with an electrically faulty ethernet port (but still working) that connected to other routers had not effect.

When I connected this device to the AX4200 not only it took down all the ports on the router's switch, but also it impacted the main switch to which this router was connected by disconnecting other devices connected to the main switch.

Here is my LAN schema:

LAN main switch
                      |       
faulty device ---- router --- fibre modem

I suspect the the faulty device might have had an internal short, possibly injecting higher than standard voltages on the ethernet.

Previously I had a Linksys WRT32x, then replaced with a Netgear R7800. None of these devices were impacted by the faulty device. It is likely they their own internal switch blocked any spurious voltage coming from the faulty device.

When I installed the AX4200 in place, its LAN ports started crashing, but the scary part was that the issue was propagated to the main LAN switch connected to the router as it was affecting other ports on the main switch too. The R7800 and WRT32x were blocking this.

I had to go through a one by one connection to identify the faulty device. On the positive side, now I know I had a device that was faulty and I replaced it. However the conclusion is that the AX4200 electronics aren't as good as those of a WRT32x or an R7800. My WRT32x even survived a lightning strike that fried every other device connected to my LAN (including a previous R7800).

1 Like

Yea I purchased my WRT32X about 6 years ago on Amazon Renewed for $100, it's been my router (sqm, dsa, nftables, adblock, samba, usb3, dual boot, etc.) working perfectly solid for so long. I can vouch for it as an awesome device (mwlwifi limitations aside).

On here reading about experiences looking into an upgrade though for a modern wifi 6 device. Narrowing it to DL-WRX36, this AX4200, or the upcoming GL-MT6000. Thanks for the heads up on that concern.

@patrykk Thank you for a detailed explanation on how to attach the serial port. Your guide converted me from “Too bad this router is a no-go, since I don’t want to solder anything to a new device”, to “Let’s give it a try today”. :slightly_smiling_face:

One correction though: It’s 3.3V, not 5V. Not sure if this router is 5V tolerant.

By the way, the golden wires are called Pogo pins, I believe.

1 Like

Please dont connect any voltage pin. Only Ground and two serial pins (rx,tx).

1 Like