Applications for LuCI to support LTE/5G modems

Hello everyone :wave:
I don't know what the developers or other users think about it, but maybe we could add such packages because nothing has been happening in OpenWrt for years.

I have the impression that many people despise LuCI because there is a console and nothing else is needed.

I tried to add this missing functionality myself (https://github.com/4IceG) and maybe someone on the forum is using my packages (I know they're not great, but it's always better than nothing).

12 Likes

Dear @IceG,

As an LTE user myself I agree. Perhaps we could generalize this out; LTE support in general in OpenWrt is lacklustre.

For example, take the LuCi ModemManager protocol. Even in 22.03, ModemManager has to be manually upgraded using an .ipk from master and hacked to achieve automatic reconnection upon an ISP-triggered disconnect event. The problems and possible fixes are known about, but remain as such.

You SMS tool looks pretty nifty.

I suppose an issue we face is that an insufficient number of developers rely upon LTE themselves, and so don't care about the lacklustre LTE support.

Perhaps if more LTE users could chip in with their thoughts in this thread we could help amplify the issue for attention.

5 Likes

Using your packages for my LTE modem and I couldn't agree more,OpenWRT really requires some packages officially.
Apart from that @IceG your work on LTE modems is something I really appreciate.

2 Likes

Hello everyone :wave:

But this is also the fault of the users themselves, I often saw topics on the forum asking for help or support in starting a modem and I saw answers, leave it OpenWrt, install the ROOTer environment, there is support for modems.

Honestly, I was about to delete this topic, seeing the likes and interest, I feel like I made a fool of myself.

The ROOTer team does not care about OpenWrt support for two reasons, they have no desire or need to patch their packages to the high standards of OpenWrt. Another reason is that they earn their support/work, so why would they share/give it up.

I do not recommend the version for LuCI JS yet. The package has only just been created and still needs a lot of work.

Probably if it wasn't for my Polish mentality and these packages wouldn't exist. In thought.. I will not wait for someone to add such functionality, I will try to add it myself. This way, some users have the opportunity to complain about my packages.

3 Likes

TBH I recommend you to do so if u can.

Construction criticism should be appreciated, there will be complaining guys too.
I hope you keep up the good work.

It's great to see polish people are so helpful, lots of love from Pakistani.

Thank you and greetings from Poland.

If I manage to find a free moment, motivation to sit in front of the monitor, my "to do" list looks like this:

1. I'm working on the luci-app-sms-tool-js package, I'm struggling to add missing functionality, I will also want to add new ones, but we'll see how far it goes.
  2. The luci-app-modemband package needs a minor fix in the code.
  3. The luci-app-3ginfo-lite package is waiting for a new version after script corrections for one of the modems.

I know that when my packages are used you can't see it, but taking care of packages consumes me a lot of time and it's not as easy as it may seem.

3 Likes

I have currently tried to install luci-app-3ginfo-lite on OpenWrt 22.03.3 r20028-43d71ad93e, but that doesn't work.

I am happy to test that on my Fibocom FM-150 using LTE/5G.

As I am using that as a backup internet connection I am also in need of connection supervision and restart. Many packages for that purpose don't seem to work as intended. But this one is simple and does the job. https://github.com/mchsk/openwrt-lte-keep-alive

1 Like

Hi @hans.b
The luci-app-3ginfo-lite package doesn't work because this modem is currently not supported and needs to be added first.

1 Like

Hi @IceG,

it is the installation that doesn't work for me. As far as the dependency to sms-tools is concerned: would it be possible for you to use package smstools3, because that is in standard OpenWRT repo for 22.03.

Such a replacement is not possible, the functionality of sms-tool =/= smstools3.

What router is it?

Keep posting in the topic of the luci app 3ginfo package so as not to make a mess in this topic.

1 Like

Hi. Can you add the luci-proto-mbim package to your repository? ModemManager hangs every 24 hours with the error "Error: Modem bearer teardown in progress". In this case the PingControl package will not restart the interface. I have to restart the interface manually.

1 Like

Hi @vars-cat
If I don't forget, I will add this package on the next compilation.

I don't know too much what this has to do with my packages, but I'll add it if it's going to help.

@IceG, it looks like this package used to be in your repository.

@vars-cat You can try downloading the package manually if you need it quickly

luci-proto-mbim

As I wrote above no problem I can add this package to my repository, if it is to be helpful.

@IceG The luci-proto-mbim package does not work. At first an error "Error: Unknown error (NO_APN)" appears. After I specify APN manually ("internet"), another error appears "Error: PIN code rejected". But this sim card has no pin code. With using "QMI Cellular" or "ModemManager" I don't specify the pin code (as well as the APN).

Hi @vars-cat
In my opinion, the problem is not the luci-proto-mbim package, but the umbim package that initiates the connection. You need to look for another version of the package (scripts) that supports your modem.

Can we not use code from the rooter project and add functionality to openwrt as some of their modem scripts tools features included in openwrt would be awesome.

1 Like

Note that this is just my opinion and I could be wrong.

I respect what the ROOTer team is doing, but they introduced so many modifications in the system for themselves that I don't know if we can easily transfer their solutions.

Thanks for your work! Do you plan to add your packages to the official OpenWrt package tree?

Hi @csharper2005 , thanks and glad that someone noticed and appreciated it.

I created this topic to check whether such packages are needed, not necessarily my packages. After the number of comments and likes, we can see little interest. I also saw comments that it would be nice to add packages because they are useful.

I don't know if my packages will pass the verification process by the main developers, but I am planning to send them. I want to add one more functionality (the option to define modems and the ability to choose a modem in the package), as soon as I add it, I will try it..