Another TP-WA701ND issue

Hello everybody

I'm new with openWRT community and concept. Few words about that: i've lost some functions when flashing with official firmware, wa701ndv2_eu_3_16_9_up_boot(160620).bin. And, i want to change to openWRT to have ability to configure all by myself. I've read all here about that, but i can't understand how to calculate checksum after modifying offset 0x120 with 00000000;45550000;
I'm on linux, the .exe in this topic didn't work... Or i don't understand how to use it.
In the official doc of openwrt, i've read "using mkptlinkfw binary", but when find this binary? How to use it? I don't know... Is there someone who can help me, telling how to recalculate checksum of openwrt-18.06.2-ar71xx-tiny-tl-wa701nd-v2-squashfs-factory.bin ?
Thank's a lot

B

Before you spend a lot of time on it, the flash and RAM are not sufficient for much more than simple functions and may never be upgradable. Devices with at least 16 MB of flash and 128 MB are available starting at under US$20.

The device page on the wiki states that the tool needed is in the image builder package. You will almost certainly need to craft your own firmware for the device due to the manufacturer’s choice to not provide sufficient flash. The image builder or build environment can do that task. The tool is also in the full build environment.

If you checkout and build the firmware you will get the executable binary staging_dir/host/bin/mktplinkfw in the build directory. I assume that is the binary you need. It prints some parameters if you run

staging_dir/host/bin/mktplinkfw -h

You most likely need to build your own firmware and follow some of the tips here to make it fit: https://openwrt.org/docs/guide-user/additional-software/saving_space

1 Like

Thanks for reply, jefr and Per. Like jeff wrote, i might look at another device... Because, like we said in french, i don't want to "tomber de Charybde en Scyla", something like "To jump out of the frying pan into the fire".
I'm going to read all the things you tell me, and decide after that.
Another time, thank you!