Again RTL8188EUS

Good Morning,

I am trying to get a USB Device with RTL8188EUS chipset to work with OpenWRT 18.06 stable on a RaspPi B+.

As suggested in this thread I am using the rtl8xxxu module. Device is recoginized and listable via lsusb but no device is spottable in /dev/. As a consequence iw list does not list it and ifconfig does not show it.For that reason wifi config does not display any entries.

Device is a Logilink WL0145 which is not listed explicitely in OpenWRT HW list but works fine under other Linux distros ... like Arch on x86_64 for example.

In contrast to the quoted thread I do not arrive at getting the interface working. Is there any hope or am I getting something wrong completely?

Any helpful remark is appreciated.

Cheers
Daniel

It's possible that particular devices USB vendor:product ID is not compiled into the driver you are using. You can tell the driver to claim that vendor:product at load time.

Hello,

thank you very much for your reply. Unfortunately the rtl8xxxu module does not support these parameters.

root@LEDE:~# modinfo rtl8xxxu
module: /lib/modules/4.9.120/rtl8xxxu.ko
license: GPL
depends: mac80211,compat

As a consequence a module removal (rmmod) followed by modprobe with these parameters does not manage to attach the driver to the device.

root@LEDE:~# cat /sys/kernel/debug/usb/devices
[... cut out several lines ...]
T: Bus=01 Lev=02 Prnt=02 Port=01 Cnt=02 Dev#= 4 Spd=480 MxCh= 0
D: Ver= 2.00 Cls=00(>ifc ) Sub=00 Prot=00 MxPS=64 #Cfgs= 1
P: Vendor=0bda ProdID=8179 Rev= 0.00
S: Manufacturer=Realtek
S: Product=802.11n NIC
S: SerialNumber=7CDD90EB5E82
C:* #Ifs= 1 Cfg#= 1 Atr=a0 MxPwr=500mA
I:* If#= 0 Alt= 0 #EPs= 3 Cls=ff(vend.) Sub=ff Prot=ff Driver=(none)
E: Ad=81(I) Atr=02(Bulk) MxPS= 512 Ivl=0ms
E: Ad=02(O) Atr=02(Bulk) MxPS= 512 Ivl=0ms
E: Ad=03(O) Atr=02(Bulk) MxPS= 512 Ivl=0ms

still reports "driver=(none)"

search the source code of the drivers for the usb id Vendor=0bda ProdID=8179

I was able to get the rtl8xxxu module to support the rtl8188eus USB Wi-Fi module (product 0x8179) by patching backports. Let me know if there is still interest in this….

that would be great, please do a PR

Only monitor and managed modes are supported; more work would be needed to support AP mode

I am also experiencing the same problem. I am running OpenWRT 21.02 and I have RTL8188ETV chipset. I have already enabled kmod-rtl8xxxu and rtl8192-firmware in kernel config. Still I am not seeing the wlan0 interface in the output of ifconfig and no output after running iw list ..
@JRichard can you kindly mention which steps you took? and what backport patches did you apply?