Adguard on raspberry pi

Hello, Ive setup Adguard on a raspberry pi wired to my router.
Ive set the DNS on openwrt to use the pi's local address, and all works fine EXCEPT that adguard reports all requests as coming from the routers ip address only, not individual clients !
How do I resolve this please ??

Id rather not use the pi as a DCHP server...

Announce the IP of the PI in the Openwrt DHCP server, using option 6.

If thats in answer to my issue, I have no idea what youre saying !

did you study the DHCP examples in the link, where option 6 is used ?

2 Likes

This is all greek to me... youre going to have to simplify !

• DHCP is used to assign IPs and other IPv4 parameters dynamically to hosts
  • DHCP Options are ways to change those parameters issued
  • DHCP Option No. 6 is to change the setting of DNS servers
  • Use DHCP Option No. 6 to assign the Pi's address instead of the OpenWrt

(This is general networking unrelated to OpenWrt itself.)

If you know the "Greek" to setup Adguard on a Pi, you'll need to lean the "Greek" to resolve your issue as well.

1 Like

I have no idea what you are talking about - Ive looked at the page linked numerous times, NONE of it makes sense to me - I cant even see "option 6"
Can anyone PLEASE tell me in plain English how to do this ?

Amazing, I get 42 hits for the word option on that page...
The 2nd hit is actually the one you're looking for.

Are we looking at the same page ?

Which bit of "plain english" do you not understand ?????

Yes I CAN see the word option, but Ive no idea what to do with it....

If you are going to persist with this belittling, please dont reply

you are using openwrt as dhcp server, right? from the linked guide use this section called "DHCP Option"

for passing the DNS server address to DHCP clients you need the part uci add_list dhcp.lan.dhcp_option="6,<dns server ip>". commit and restart piece is also required.

Thanks for that.. can this be done via luci ?

I'm sure I can mukkle though ssh if needs be, but in not confident with Linux (?) commands.

version (=21.02.5) i use does not have / i cannot find a luci field for that so am afraid you need to use SSH.

by the way this is not a standard linux command but an openwrt specific.

if you are not not familiar with linux you can still use WinSCP to connect to openwrt and modify files from Windows client (so no command line at all).

you need to find and modify file /etc/config/dhcp, within the file find section and add list line with list dhcp_option as:

config dhcp 'lan'
        option interface 'lan'
[..]
        list dhcp_option '6,192.168.1.1'
1 Like

Does AGH include a DHCP ?
If that's the case, disable the DHCP on the router, and let AGH handle it.

But OP says not willing to use the Pi to handle DHCP, while he knows nothing about DHCP settings.

true, but he'd have been done with it over a week ago, if he had, and I don't really see any difference ...

Actually OP probably never looks into the options and just asking people to feed the answer.
When I get into Luci interface to check the DHCP example, the answer is already there!

I've looked in there until I'm blue in the face !

Whats the point of a support forum that assumes the person needing help knows the answer already ?
Nudging a person in the right direction maybe... but this constant belittling is very off-putting to anyone lost, and discourages people from asking for help.
The answer may be glaringly obvious to YOU , but stating that repeatedly only shows arrogance.... I'd suggest a rethink before posting another reply.

I've ran DCHP from a pi on a different project, but if the pi crashes (I run other software on it as well as adguard ) the lan becomes unusable...hence my preference for keeping it on the router.

And why not "just feed the answer" ? would have saved a lot of time !

Because you won't learn anything, if we do.
And you would have been done already, if you actually spent 5 mins with the problem, you really got all the info you need, in this thread.

First, this is not a commercial product, the support forum here is to help people find their way to the solution, if you don't want to think and just want someone to "feed you", you can offer to pay. Open Source, or Free Software doesn't mean you can get everything without paying. Why would you think your time is more valuable than others?

2 Likes

grrr2

Rooster

2d

version (=21.02.5) i use does not have / i cannot find a luci field for that so am afraid you need to use SSH.

by the way this is not a standard linux command but an openwrt specific.

if you are not not familiar with linux you can still use WinSCP to connect to openwrt and modify files from Windows client (so no command line at all).

you need to find and modify file /etc/config/dhcp, within the file find section and add list line with list dhcp_option as:

config dhcp 'lan'
        option interface 'lan'
[..]
        list dhcp_option '6,192.168.1.1'

Managed to achieve this via winscp... but not sure if I should modify the ip address to my routers address !! (or should it be the raspbery pi address ????)
Tried both, but alas this has not solved my problem.
Adguard still only "sees" the routers address !

Thanks for the help.

Minor progress... tried the ip of the pi, and adguard is now reporting the ip address's of clients !!!!
YIPEEEE - shame its not client names, but progress non the less !