Adding OpenWrt support for Xiaomi "Redmi Router AX6S"/"Xiaomi Router AX3200"

Thanks, but it didn't work.

I found an old post with a similar problem on 5 ghz, but I don't know which file I would have to use for 2.4.

EDIT:

Yesterday I tried to restore the backup and it didn't work, as it was too late I left it running with just the wifi5.

Now I reset to default and it works again.

Basically my 2.4 network is for IOT devices, so I don't know when it stopped working, but I'll try to monitor it to see if it happens again.

Thanks

I've got the same issue with 2.4 Wifi. Tried with 23.05.2 and master to no avail. I get "Could not set interface wl0-ap0 flags (UP): I/O error" from hostapd in logs. Of course with factory settings.

I have two AX6S, both RB01, one is older (about 1y) and it is working fine, the other is recent (2w) and exhibits this issue. Everything else is working fine on both units.

I'm wondering if there is any change in the wifi chipset in the newer versions. Since you have both devices (older and newer), you can compare dmesg output on both devices to try to identify any hardware difference.

Another option is to install pciutils package and run lspci -v to check the output for mt7915e on both devices to try to spot any difference.

Ok, I think we are back to an old bug or something. I've also opened a new issue.

[   26.710686] mt7622-wmac 18000000.wmac: Message 00000010 (seq 1) timeout
[   26.717336] mt7622-wmac 18000000.wmac: Failed to get patch semaphore
[   26.942056] mt7622-wmac 18000000.wmac: Failed to get patch semaphore
[   27.161036] mt7622-wmac 18000000.wmac: Failed to get patch semaphore
[   27.380983] mt7622-wmac 18000000.wmac: Failed to get patch semaphore
[   27.600963] mt7622-wmac 18000000.wmac: Failed to get patch semaphore
[   27.821048] mt7622-wmac 18000000.wmac: Failed to get patch semaphore
[   28.041012] mt7622-wmac 18000000.wmac: Failed to get patch semaphore
[   28.260994] mt7622-wmac 18000000.wmac: Failed to get patch semaphore
[   28.480964] mt7622-wmac 18000000.wmac: Failed to get patch semaphore
[   28.700957] mt7622-wmac 18000000.wmac: Failed to get patch semaphore
[   28.921010] mt7622-wmac 18000000.wmac: Failed to get patch semaphore
1 Like

Hello,

Sorry for asking over and over again, but the information is not coherent, or in my case does not work:

After flashing/sysupgrade OpenWrt and after a restart, the device is stuck on input at the bootloader, autoboot does not work, even after the commands below:

fw_setenv boot_fw1 "run boot_rd_img;bootm"
fw_setenv flag_try_sys1_failed 8
fw_setenv flag_try_sys2_failed 8
fw_setenv flag_boot_rootfs 0
fw_setenv flag_boot_success 1
fw_setenv flag_last_success 1

Did I miss something? Othe on

1 Like

Check the flasg_boot_rootfs variable too!

root@OpenWrt:/# fw_printenv | grep flag                                                                                 
flag_boot_rootfs=0                                                                                                      
flag_boot_success=1                                                                                                     
flag_boot_type=2                                                                                                        
flag_flash_permission=1                                                                                                 
flag_last_success=1                                                                                                     
flag_ota_reboot=0                                                                                                       
flag_show_upgrade_info=1                                                                                                
flag_try_sys1_failed=2                                                                                                  
flag_try_sys2_failed=109                                                                                                
flag_upgrade_push=0                                                                                                     

I have same behaviour. AX 160 mode iperf3 gets only ~550Mbit/s in 1thread, a bit more than ac 80. I can not reach 1Gbit with file transfer from wired lan to wifi, it stucks at 600-800Mbit even at several threads, but it always make 1Gbit from lan wired to lan wired even in 1 thread.
Openwrt says me tx to my client "2041.2 Mbit/s, 160 MHz, HE-MCS 10, HE-NSS 2, HE-GI 1", and sometimes 2400Mbit, but i cannot reach even half of this speed.

This specific model (Xiaomi AX3200) doesn't seem to fully support 160 MHz on WiFi.

On their official specifications and firmware, it's also limited to 80 MHz:

• Use of Wi-Fi 6 (802.11ax), and features including 80MHz, OFDMA, MU-MIMO, and 1024 QAM require end devices that also support the corresponding features

Source: https://www.mi.com/global/product/xiaomi-router-ax3200/

That being said, you can enable Wireless Ethernet Dispatch (WED) HW acceleration on the WiFi and see if that improves the speed: https://openwrt.org/toh/xiaomi/ax3200#wireless_ethernet_dispatch_wed_hw_acceleration_for_wireless_clients

5GHz just works terrible. Even on AX80MHz. I've configured 2 separate WiFi networks - for 2.4GHz and 5GHz. 2.4GHz works good: quick connect, disconnects are rare. With 5GHz it's just the opposite. Sometimes it just disappears from networks list while 2.4 is still here. But I've just switched to AC80 mode and it seems to be OK so far. Will see.

On my specific setup, the 5GHz seems to work very well on 23.05.3 without disconnects.

Some things you might want to try:

• Setup Mode to AX and width to 80 MHz
  • Setup the channel manually and only use between 36 and 48. Higher channels are not fully supported on it
  • Choose WPA2-PSK (Strong security) only as encryption
  • Choose Force CCMP (AES) for Cipher

Example screenshot of the settings:

This settings should improve the stability overall.

If nothing else works, you might want to try a clean install.

Please note that it only works reliably when not on mesh network.

1 Like

I wonder why WPA2?

Good question. Having WPA2/WPA3 mixed might cause issues on some devices and combinations.

This is not an issue with OpenWrt, but with the devices connected to it.

To be safe, setting WPA2 only is more compatible (when experiencing disconnects)

What do you mean by "higher channels are not fully supported", is there any known problem with AX3200?
I have one in dumb AP mode running on channel 100 @80MHz with no major problems, uptime 44 days. It's DFS channel here in EU but there are a lot of other APs/routers on channels 36-48 (apartment complex). Not a single DFS event, no radars around :slight_smile: Standard one minute delay at AP startup.
Only strange thing is one windows 10 PC one room away after standby/sleep connects to AX3200 with something like 30s to 1 min delay. Tested with two adapters: one AX MT7921 based and the other AC RTL 8812bu.
I was not able to determine if it is a DFS thing, some windows problem or something with the AP.
Still on 23.05.2, there's no rush to upgrade :slight_smile:

If you don't have disconnects and those channels are allowed in your country, then you don't need to change anything.

That was only a recommendation for @Jungle to see if we can improve the stability because MT7915E is usually reliable on OpenWrt

1 Like

Just tried " Enable WED", seems nothing changes.

Have you confirmed that WED is indeed enabled by checking with:
cat /sys/kernel/debug/ppe0/bind

while there is activity on the WiFi?

Please note that you need to use the method for enabling WED for snapshots if you're on 23.05.2 or newer.

The older method in that guide no longer works on the newer versions

But why not "pure" WPA3? Yesterday I've changed WPA3 to WPA2 as you advised and at the first sight it helped. At least connect is quick, ping losses are rare, and there were no disconnects even on AX160. But I had no enough time to test.

1 Like

Just tried 80ac and 80ax. When i switch to 80 ax, openwrt shows "1134.2 Mbit/s, 80 MHz, HE-MCS 11, HE-NSS 2, HE-GI 1" to TX rate.
TX Iperf 1 thread drops from ~550 to to ~450Mbit/s and windows file transfer wired lan to wifi lan speed drops from 70-100Mbyte/s to 70-85Mbyte/s.
RX 100-115Mbyte/s at ax160 drops signofically to only 40-60Mbyte/s when i switch to ax80. My laptop lenovo P14s with WCN685x.
So 160ax mode works, and works better for me, but not full speed, and it is sad.

I use two ax6s, about 1yesar, works stable with OpenWrt. I use SQM, WG client, PPTP server.
I have 2.5Gbit wired lan and tried LACP for two ax6s lan ports from 2.5lan, iperf ax6s to ax6s gets 1.7-1.8Gbit in many threads, also ok.
Only one issue is wifi speed. It is never up to 1Gbit at TX file transfer, but iperf3 in many threads can reach TX 1.4Gbit sometimes.

Glad to hear that the changes helped.

It depends on the devices you connect. Most should support WPA2

No response to "cat /sys/kernel/debug/ppe0/bind" and "cat /sys/kernel/debug/mtk_ppe/bind"
I use version OpenWrt 22.03.3 r20028-43d71ad93e at router