Adblock support thread

@dibdot

I see that the oisd links were replayed again about 30 minutes ago.
The maintainer seems to have changed his mind again.

These are the changes:

old name: oisd Full - new name: oisd Big
old name: oisd Basic - new name: oisd Small
old name: oisd NSFW(Big) - new name: oisd NSFW
lists: oisd nsfw (as it was before) and oisd extra will stop

adblock has been fixed a few minutes ago, see https://github.com/openwrt/packages/commit/51634a960c8bd22fce5870462011cea6fbf4f0bc for reference.

adblock: update 4.1.5-5

* adapted changed oisd namings / download locations
   oisd_big (old: oisd_full), oisd_small (old: oisdb_basic)
* added antipopads as new sources
* removed broken energized source
* fixed readme

Signed-off-by: Dirk Brenken <dev@brenken.org>
7 Likes

Excellent!
Thank you very much!

Unfortunately, this needs another fix. Naming changed from dblw to domainswild over night. At the moment it errors with a 404.

1 Like

@dibdot

The new file referrals are:

https://raw.githubusercontent.com/sjhgvr/oisd/main/domainswild_big.txt
https://raw.githubusercontent.com/sjhgvr/oisd/main/domainswild_nsfw.txt
https://raw.githubusercontent.com/sjhgvr/oisd/main/domainswild_small.txt

How to add this single adblock list to the Adblocking and remove the rest?

It had everything and i feel i don't need any other small different list. I tried to do it myself but i couldn't succeed. Please Help me do it . thanks

Hey guys.

Thanks for this amazing package.
Running this on my Edgerouter X (256MB Flash & 256 MB RAM).

Just a short question how do you handling blacklist updates/backup?

Curently i have configured it like this:

• Interface trigger: WAN goes up -> start adblock. This way after restarting the blocklists are fetched to ram, also with no backup in place.
  • Backup to: /etc/adblock
  • Scheduled refresh every week once

I have some concerns about the blacklist backup, which is writing ~2MB once a week to flash.
Please note, the device has a raw flash with no wear levling or some sort.

How do you handling this?

• like me with moderate flash writes and the risk of nand failure?

• Disable Backup to flash all together and schedule download/refresh more often (ex.: once a day in the night). This way, after a power outage, where the docsis modem before isn't up at the boot time, you will have the blacklists again in under <24h. Also the overhead (cpu load) is ok, because download just happens once a day in the night.

thanks a lot
pOpY

I have now gone for RAM way. So disabled backup in flash and setup reload in night on 04:30 every day.

To prevent issues after power outage, where the docsis modem takes about ~02:30 mm/ss to boot and OpenWRT about 30 secs, i have added the following to my rc.local:

# Put your custom commands here that should be executed once
# the system init finished. By default this file does nothing.

#after 5 minutes we try to reload the adblocker blacklists again
#this is just in case the docsis cable modem was not up, when openwrt booted
sleep 300
/etc/init.d/adblock reload &

exit 0

So after 5 minutes after a boot up, another reload is done. There the docsis modem should be up and connection should be online.

Combined with the interface trigger "wan", this should give me a reliable way to have an blacklist in most situations.

Feature request:
Is a retry feature possible?
Say like "Retry for X times with an intervall of X seconds" when download blacklists failed.

thx
pOpY

You can edit the adblock.sources if you want to add/edit your own blocklist. The file is gziped in /etc/adblock/adblock.sources.gz.

Checking the link you mentioned, it has multiple blocklist files, so you will need to add each one that you want and name it accordingly. Also you need to understand how regex works as you might need to tweak/create a regex that will work on the said blocklist files.

1 Like

Hi thanks for your reply. There is one link which contains all the block lists called everything.
Of i can use it in the adblock list and delete everything else, how do i do it?
Can you just give me an example pls ?

That's needless, just raise the trigger delay in adblock and set in to "300". You find in LuCI under adblock=>additional settings=>trigger delay

Sure i can but than if i just restart openwrt i have 5 Minutes without an blocklist!
leaving the trigger delay on default (s secs) is working. Blacklist get's fetched immidiattly when i just reboot openwrt router without docsis modem. And yes, done again after 5 Minutes.

I think the best would an automatic retry when it fails. That would cover all cases and dont download the list twice.

@dibdot could you please add Hagezi and 1Hosts lists? They are very good and well maintained.

1 Like

@dibdot : i tried to edit adblock.gz file but i somehow couldnt save the edited file in Windows. Can you just tell me how i can save my edited work in Windows pls ? so that the edited file actually reflects in openwrt Adblock lists ???
Thanks in advance

Why don't you edit the file on the router as described in the readme? If you insist to use a Windows editor please take care of Linux line endings and transfer the files with winscp (to /etc/adblock). Use gzip/gunzip on the router to compress/uncompress the file.

Noted, but this will take some time - I'm currently working on banIP in my spare time.

I don't think so. Adblock restores backups (if you save your backups on an usb stick) if a download failed.

Yeah, sadly my EdgeRouter X has no USB.
Dont want to write the backup to the internal flash every day, this will wear out the flash.

With such an retry feature (say configurable time and retry count) the issue would be solved.

pOpY

Good to hear actually. I pointed two issues with banip but never got a reply.

1. Blocklist backup cannot be disabled
  2. Reload button missing