A noob with MONEY, battling buffer bloat HELP!

VIA all my reading and research on the subject of hardware so far...what is the difference between a Gigabit router or even edgerouter (for these purposes) and a "mini PC" ?

a mini PC has typically say 4 x86 cores at 2GHz. The Edgerouter has say 2 MIPS cores a 800MHz. There's a huge difference in number of cycles available total, as well as in "work per cycle" given caches and pipelining etc that is available in x86 compared to these stripped down MIPS processors.

The ARM processors that are based mostly on mobile phone technology are somewhere in the middle.

dlakelan: ENGLISH please! lololol Seriously though, I can take in all that you just said...and with about 1.5 hours of "web cruising" can interpret it. Which CPUs in WHICH machines are best for optimal latency mitigation? Which machines "brain power" is greatest? My current knowledge base is limited to what PC's can do and building and cooling them i.e. CPU Ghz, boost, overclocking, RAM Ghz dimms M.2 drive speeds, core temps etc, etc...

.... core count v.s. thread count, varying speeds of both etc, etc....

None. All you care about is ethernet speed and ethernet latency.

x86 hardware is not necessarily optimal on that end.

I recommend an mvebu based router just because ethernet driver is designed very well. CPU speed is also good enough to run SQM.

Look at https://openwrt.org/docs/techref/instructionset/arm_cortex-a9_vfpv3

Linksys WRT3200ACM and WRT32X are what I recommend.

Not looking for anything with WIFI capability...I don't have kids in a house trying to run multiple devices...Not going to put my operations on anything with antennas

You can turn off the wifi, in fact the wifi sucks on that device, but it's a very good wired all-in-one router. very fast.

Yes, I am sure I could...even unscrew the antennas...but if I was looking for AIO solutions I would have popped down to Best Buy and done so and crossed my fingers and thought I had the tech game beat with an OOB "expereince". Am I in the wrong sandbox here?

Geers Foundation Award (1998),
Lothar Cremer Prize of the German Acoustical Association (DEGA) (2003),
Heisenberg Fellowship (2005),
Johann Philipp Reis Award (2009)

Impressive moeller0

I fear you are trying to imply that you believe you found my real life CV. But alas you got somebody else's instead. I do admit that seems to be quite a list of achievements, just not mine.

Hmmmm....welp, I thought I had the right guy and found it on Wikipedia lolol I guess you are not Sebastian Moeller then lolol. Serves me right for reading DLakelan's web writings ( no offense D )

Oh well, the web digging continues :slight_smile:

@DERBYBLOOD. In terms of what's probably best in the public forum, I think if you can formulate a fairly concise question there are lots of people who can help you answer it here. As it stands your post reads like basically "I'm a total beginner in networking, I think I know the difference between an ethernet cable and a coax, but that's about it, teach me everything I need to become at least a journeyman network engineer so I can solve my latency issues and make a lot of money in the stock market"

I'm giving you the benefit of the doubt and assuming you're sincere in wanting to get a solution, you seem enthusiastic, so perhaps back off the web-stalking, its a bit creepy.

So far you have dismissed several people's suggestions. You seem to be operating under the assumption that anything you can buy off the shelf at BestBuy is necessarily crap. What you are missing is the importance of the software over the hardware. OpenWrt's purpose is to take commodity hardware and turn it into high-quality networking equipment through open software that provides about 2 orders of magnitude more functionality than the off-the-shelf software does.

Yes, the off the shelf software is intentionally crippled junk. That's not true of OpenWrt. Then the question is what is good hardware? And the answer is there's lots of choices, and some consumer stuff is relatively good, others are crap with problems. The WRT3200/WRT32x has wifi problems, but with wifi turned off it is a very fast consumer wired router, substantially faster than the more "small business/pro" market edgerouter x for example.

2 Likes

I appreciate your taking "off forum, private discussion message content" and making it public in a forum setting...I was ABOUT to send you a message stating that maybe I was being "over sensitive"...and go forward with private discussions, but..... PLOP! Here "this" is......

Web-stalking creepy? You really think ANYONE is going to take on-line forum advise and NOT research the source? You don't think Corporations DON'T search the web for info on an applicant? Now who is being naive'... I searched for a solution to buffer bloat and found Dave Taht and immediately sourced him and wrote him...Why would I not to the same for anyone else?

Your post is "bad form" at the very least. Should I respond to your Corp. email message?

Yes, we have had a few off-list exchanges, none of that content appears here. @moeller0 is a friend of mine, we've worked on projects together here at the OpenWrt forum for multiple years and "the web digging continues" sounds honestly aggressive, as if you dislike what he said to you so you aim to find out who he is and do something about it. I found that troubling. Perhaps you didn't realize how it sounds.

Honestly I think you will get more out of this by trying a more friendly approach and asking questions. I suggest a reset and start over on everyone's part.

"none of that content appears here"... I strongly disagree. It is very apparent that "emotions" and not professionalism are currently ruling your typing... I "searched" moeller, because of YOUR "name dropping" in an altogether separate web treats where you in fact NAME Sebastian Moeller as a collaborator. To then mistake THIS forums "moeller0" was a natural step / mistake...so...my apologies to THIS forums "moeller0"....No, I didn't like what he said to me....or rather, how he "assumed" I didn't already KNOW about RF HFTraders and the specifics of THEIR ms time advantages, like I was some TDAmeritrade "hopeful" ... but that is nothing to try and roast him for. I was, again, researching the source. Shall I reveal to THIS forum YOUR "path and motive" of communications to me? OR, shall we shut "THIS" down....and retreat to more "professional" modes?

@moeller0 is one person named Sebastian Moeller, and my collaborator that I mentioned, just not the one that you found in your lookup. There must be hundreds or thousands of people with that name. Let's keep this non-personal. How can the OpenWrt community help you?

4 Likes

Interesting thread.

If I were you I'd buy a direct fibre (fiber) to your trading exchange. I used to install and commission Infinera optical routers for terrabit core networks (MPLS) and they supply HFT optical routers and these are specifically built for what you want. Money no object? Speak to them. I have nothing to do with them anymore, I just know they have them.

You need the shortest fibre between you and the trading exchange. Bear in mind that optical routers have cards (ROADM and others) that can have thousands of metres/feet of fibre on them.

I'm interested in you hitting the buttons and buy / sell happening. I used to know HFT traders and they told me humans can't keep up only algorithms can do it.

I'm still very interested in the subject though, so I'll follow your journey :slight_smile:

I've just had another thought. The reason for a direct fibre is that you have no idea where your packets are being routed to get to the trading exchange. Unless you install your own fibre you'll never know.
I think it's not just ping times but the actual physical distance that is between you and the end destination.

Please move any personal discussions which are not related to this topic to a private conversation.

Thanks!