23.05.0 Update breaks WAN - RT-AX53U/1800U

It seems like 23.05.2 is a hit-and-miss for some routers, My router seem to be stable so far but only time will tell...

I have been running on 23.05.0 without problems for 5 to 6 weeks.
But after a restart today nothing worked anymore. No wifi or LAN access. Not sure if WAN worked, unable to check.

Had to perform a firstboot. So running for some time does not indicate correct working.
I will have to reconfigure again. Considering reverting to 22.03.5 :thinking:

Does 22.03.06 works? Or it is just as crap as the other 23.05.xx versions? I wonder if there will be a fix for this issue soon.

2 Likes

Hi Everyone, any update on this issue? Can we expect a fix for 23.05.x track? Thanks in advance. 22.03.6 I have recently updated, and works fine, but 22.03 track EOL soon.

3 Likes

Hi Everyone, any update on this issue? Can we expect a fix for 23.05.x track? Thanks in advance. 22.03.6 I have recently updated, and works fine, but 22.03 track EOL soon.

Same, I am thinking to buy an ASUS RT-AX53U to run openwrt on it. Is any developer looking into this?

Is there someone with this router and some knowledge of internal workings of openwrt? I guess we could do a diff between 22.03.6 and 23.05.0 to figure out the root cause of the issue.

I have the RT-AX53U, Right now I'm on OpenWrt SNAPSHOT r25153-869df9ecdf / LuCI Master git-24.040.70477-23ebdb3, and have never seen the Wireless tab disappear, as outlined here.

I've been using this router for over a year with very few issues, but I do not use it for primarily WLAN, as I have APs for that (though DO run 2.4ghz for some IoT devices that side of the house...). It's been running flawlessly, I have gigabit internet through NBN here in Australia (1000/50), and it's been rock solid. Well worth the $65AUD.

I run snapshots (as that's what was supported at the time, stable is probably fine now) and update every month or when I remember.

I'm a bit confused, is this WAN (ie internet) or WLAN (Wireless LAN/WiFi)?

I see there is a mention of both, just confirming it's the Wireless tab missing, as it seems phy0-ap0 is missing as well from the ifconfig?

Are there logs in dmesg or something? I'd be happy to submit a bug / probably a bugfix if I can understand, and hopefully reproduce the issue.

edit: I just flashed 23.05.2, wiping settings as well, and can see the wireless tab.

Hi Everyone,
This is a very good router, and very fast via 1GBps Telekom Internet here in Hungary. As mentioned earlier currently running on 22.03.6, but EOL in April.
Is that possible to escalate this WAN (WIreless if any?) issues to OpenWrt developers to look into this, and to get a patch in next 23.05.x minor release?

2 Likes

You need to restart it a few times for it to not work. That is what i've gathered from the available information.

I just saw this thread now, and I also have had no issues with 23.05 on the RT-AX53U. I have been running and upgraded from 23.05.0 to 23.05.1 and 23.05.2

However, I use it simply as a dumb AP with 802.11q VLAN trunk through the WAN interface and to serve multiple SSIDs. Uplink is a 1Gb switch