OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: Update on Linksys WRT1900AC support

The content of this topic has been archived between 16 Sep 2014 and 7 May 2018. Unfortunately there are posts – most likely complete pages – missing.

gufus wrote:
alirz wrote:
Chadster766 wrote:

Honestly I kind of wish OpenWRT continued development with the completely opensource wlan7 driver. I know this isn't helpful but I couldn't help but mention it and wonder how far it could have been customized by now for the WRT1900AC V1. It's a pet peeve I have smile

I agree. I used your AA build for a LONG time. It gave me the fastest wireless speeds. Even the latest CC is still about 30% slower in throughput.

You can still use AA. It's your router.

I can't remember if I tried the "disassoc_low_ack=0" fix for Apple devices on AA. AFAIK it's supported. I also don't know if AA has the same critical issue #20 CC has.

(Last edited by Chadster766 on 23 Jun 2015, 21:12)

Chadster766 wrote:
gufus wrote:
alirz wrote:

I agree. I used your AA build for a LONG time. It gave me the fastest wireless speeds. Even the latest CC is still about 30% slower in throughput.

You can still use AA. It's your router.

I can't remember if I tried the "disassoc_low_ack=0" fix for Apple devices on AA. AFAIK it's supported. I also don't know if AA has the same critical issue #20 CC has.

I've tested so much in the last year, I don't remember too. I don't use apple devices, and have had 0 lock-up's.

Also, my town house is wired with cat3 cable so I don't use wifi much but like the AC speeds when I do.

(Last edited by gufus on 23 Jun 2015, 21:48)

gufus wrote:

Also, my town house is wired with cat3 cable so I don't use wifi much but like the AC speeds when I do.

Was this a typo?

I'm sure you'd see higher speeds over wifi than over any cat3 cabling.

Did you mean Cat5e, Cat6, Cat6a or Cat7?

Cat3 is what was used for 10Base-T (10Mbit/s Ethernet) and sometimes, 100Base-T4 (Special case of 100Mbit/s Ethernet).

// Stefan

OK, I can now trigger a wan/lan freeze for the first time.

Have laptop connected to 5GHz (N).

Have android connected to 5GHz (N).

Start an on-going ping on the laptop, everything OK.

Switch android to 2.4GHz - pings time out, no router login access, no Internet access.

Switch android back to 5GHz and everything resumes normally.

Trunk r45950, uptime 9d 14h 2m 13s

DavidMcWRT wrote:

Switch android to 2.4GHz - pings time out, no router login access, no Internet access.

Good troubleshooting, this is related but in addition to issue #20

https://github.com/kaloz/mwlwifi/issues/20

(Last edited by Chadster766 on 23 Jun 2015, 22:28)

Chadster766 wrote:
DavidMcWRT wrote:

Good troubleshooting but this is related but in addition to issue #20

https://github.com/kaloz/mwlwifi/issues/20

I filed a bug report and indicated it could be.

stesmi wrote:
gufus wrote:

Was this a typo?

Cat3 is what was used for 10Base-T (10Mbit/s Ethernet) and sometimes, 100Base-T4 (Special case of 100Mbit/s Ethernet).

// Stefan

I should have said cat5e, I get 1.0 “gigabit”
http://www.gypsy-designs.com/1.jpg

(Last edited by gufus on 23 Jun 2015, 23:06)

alirz wrote:
Chadster766 wrote:

Honestly I kind of wish OpenWRT continued development with the completely opensource wlan7 driver. I know this isn't helpful but I couldn't help but mention it and wonder how far it could have been customized by now for the WRT1900AC V1. It's a pet peeve I have smile

What are your current throughput speeds and what were they before?  Also, what channel are you using for both spectrums?

Edited the /etc/dnsmasq.conf   >>  dhcp-option=6,8.8.8.8,8.8.4.4

/etc/init.d/dnsmasq restart

Now all the devices get google dns instead of the router.

Question....

1. I have a syslog server listening on UDP port 514, and tested it. the local firewall is configured to allow the traffic in.
2. The router is configured for logging on port 514 and is pointed to the syslog server which is on the LAN.

I'm not getting any syslog messages?  I thought, and probably wrong, that it sends syslog? No?

(Last edited by davidc502 on 24 Jun 2015, 01:05)

stesmi wrote:
cptn_brittish wrote:

I've been rewriting my fan control program to be threaded and it requires libpthreads.
I can compile the program but it will not run on the router as it cannot find libpthread..so.0.
Libpthreads wasn't initially installed but once I installed it through 'opkg install libpthread' I still cannot use the library and it does not seem to have been installed on the router. Does anyone know how to fix this?
I'm currently on RC2.
Thanks

Even though this might not be helpful - why use "proper threading" and not just fork()?

EDIT: Depending on libc, it might still require libpthread, so it may not help.

Also, was there supposed to be two dots in a row there?

libpthread..so.0

// Stefan

It was meant to have one dot not two.
I'm using proper threading mostly as a learning experience as it is my first attempt at threading and because I am sharing a variable between both threads so I am trying to avoid contention on the variable. I'm not sure if that is possible with fork().

I worked around the problem by updating the router to the snapshot builds which allowed libpthread to install.

JW0914 wrote:
alirz wrote:
Chadster766 wrote:

What are your current throughput speeds and what were they before?  Also, what channel are you using for both spectrums?

The only AC wifi device is my nexus 5 phone. I had spend days on testing wifi speeds using all sorts of methods. Once I found the fast file transfer method for me, which turned out to be WebDAV . I used that for benchmarking file read speeds from a networked SSD drive.

My phone being a limited AC Chipset can only connect to the router at 433mbps. With AA I was able to get 22MB (megabytes) per second pretty much all the time. With CC I get 14-15MB/sec.

gufus wrote:
stesmi wrote:
gufus wrote:

Was this a typo?

// Stefan

I should have said cat5e, I get 1.0 “gigabit”
http://www.gypsy-designs.com/1.jpg

I thought so, sounded weird that you'd boast about your awesome 80's era cabling smile

// Stefan

cptn_brittish wrote:
stesmi wrote:
cptn_brittish wrote:

I've been rewriting my fan control program to be threaded and it requires libpthreads.
I can compile the program but it will not run on the router as it cannot find libpthread..so.0.
Libpthreads wasn't initially installed but once I installed it through 'opkg install libpthread' I still cannot use the library and it does not seem to have been installed on the router. Does anyone know how to fix this?
I'm currently on RC2.
Thanks

Even though this might not be helpful - why use "proper threading" and not just fork()?

libpthread..so.0

// Stefan

I'm using proper threading mostly as a learning experience as it is my first attempt at threading and because I am sharing a variable between both threads so I am trying to avoid contention on the variable. I'm not sure if that is possible with fork().

I worked around the problem by updating the router to the snapshot builds which allowed libpthread to install.

Great. I was just making sure you weren't getting that from ldd which meant something was wrong during the build.

stesmi@Defiant:~$ ldd /bin/bash
        libncurses.so.5 => /usr/lib/libncurses.so.5 (0xb6f14000)
        libdl.so.0 => /lib/libdl.so.0 (0xb6f00000)
        libgcc_s.so.1 => /lib/libgcc_s.so.1 (0xb6ee4000)
        libc.so.0 => /lib/libc.so.0 (0xb6e88000)
        ld-uClibc.so.0 => /lib/ld-uClibc.so.0 (0xb6f50000)

For instance.

You can allocate a memory area as shared if you wish and use some kind of locking (or make it atomic).

mmap() with MAP_SHARED is one solution. For instance make a struct of a set size and you're golden.

mmap for sizeof(struct your_struct) and assign the pointer you get from mmap() to the pointer of your struct and you can use that between threads (or processes really since that's what fork() gives you in some implementations).

Now we've gotten Off Topic though (sorry all!).

I'm glad it worked out for you in the end!

// Stefan

alirz wrote:
JW0914 wrote:
alirz wrote:

The only AC wifi device is my nexus 5 phone. I had spend days on testing wifi speeds using all sorts of methods. Once I found the fast file transfer method for me, which turned out to be WebDAV . I used that for benchmarking file read speeds from a networked SSD drive.

My phone being a limited AC Chipset can only connect to the router at 433mbps. With AA I was able to get 22MB (megabytes) per second pretty much all the time. With CC I get 14-15MB/sec.

I've never heard of a limited AC chipset, and I must not be using the right search parameters on Google; could you elaborate on what that means (I think it's referring to the spatial streams, with the NX5 only being 1x1)?

With a 1x1 spatial stream, the NX5's max speed at the 20mHz width is 75mb/s (9.16MB/s) and 150mb/s (18.31MB/s) at the 40mHz width.  If your Nexus 5 has a 1x1 spatial stream, it's physically impossible for it to garnish a speed above 18.31MB/s.  The only way it could possibly do so is if it utilizes a similar technology to PC wifi cards that utilize both wifi and bluetooth together to garnish faster speeds. 22MB/s = 176mb/s and 15MB/s = 120mb/s

You should be able to hit 150mb/s however and would recommend trying channels in the 150 range, along with making sure the band width is set to 40mHz.  When it comes to the 5gHz spectrum, you'll almost always experience faster speeds at higher channels.  I'd also recommend boosting your dB level to 20 - 25 to see if that helps and setting the distance to 50M.

This offers a more in depth response: XDA

(Last edited by JW0914 on 24 Jun 2015, 15:31)

Does anyone know why there's no way to change the upper/lower values on 5gHz and 2.4gHz spectrums?  It should have 4 options in the 5gHz spectrum - lower lower, lower upper, upper upper, and upper lower - and two in the 2.4gHz spectrum - upper and lower?  Does it have to do with the wifi drivers or is it a feature that simply isn't incorporated into OpenWRT?

(Last edited by JW0914 on 24 Jun 2015, 15:28)

Also, does anyone know of a windows port knocking client that allows for encryption?  It seems port knocking clients are plentiful for *nix systems, but of the few I've found for Windows, none offer an option for hmac or gpg

(Last edited by JW0914 on 24 Jun 2015, 15:54)

It's a little pre-mature, but so far the results are promising as I'm not hearing complaints from my family about iphones not connecting, slow service or router crashed.

This was the change made yesterday,

/etc/dnsmasq.conf   >>  dhcp-option=6,8.8.8.8,8.8.4.4

/etc/init.d/dnsmasq restart

On another subject, logging to syslog server still isn't working ;(  I ran wireshark, and I'm not seeing traffic on the port specified.

JW0914 wrote:
alirz wrote:
JW0914 wrote:

I've never heard of a limited AC chipset, and I must not be using the right search parameters on Google; could you elaborate on what that means (I think it's referring to the spatial streams, with the NX5 only being 1x1)?

With a 1x1 spatial stream, the NX5's max speed at the 20mHz width is 75mb/s (9.16MB/s) and 150mb/s (18.31MB/s) at the 40mHz width.  If your Nexus 5 has a 1x1 spatial stream, it's physically impossible for it to garnish a speed above 18.31MB/s.  The only way it could possibly do so is if it utilizes a similar technology to PC wifi cards that utilize both wifi and bluetooth together to garnish faster speeds. 22MB/s = 176mb/s and 15MB/s = 120mb/s

You should be able to hit 150mb/s however and would recommend trying channels in the 150 range, along with making sure the band width is set to 40mHz.  When it comes to the 5gHz spectrum, you'll almost always experience faster speeds at higher channels.  I'd also recommend boosting your dB level to 20 - 25 to see if that helps and setting the distance to 50M.

Correct. i had used the term "limited" to avoid going into details about spatial stream explanation. Yes it is 1x1. Well i did used to be able to get sustained speeds of over 20MB for large size file transfer.. Perhaps the app used was generous in telling me the speed!.
I am on channel 149 80MHZ. Its the cleanest spectrum around me.

Just for comparison, maximum results of my synthetic wireless bandwidth tests for OpenWRT CC: 540 Mbps. Connection: WLAN-LAN, 5 GHz, 802.11ac 80 MHz, 36 ch., 866.5 Mbps.

WLAN-WAN (internet) will be a bit less, because of NAT it becomes CPU-bound: 500 Mbps (CPU usage 100%).

JW0914, what is theoretical limit for out spatial stream system (4x4:3, 802.11ac, 80 MHz)?

(Last edited by Vanav on 25 Jun 2015, 00:18)

Hi guys.
I'm in the stage of purchasing the WRT1900AC and looking for the best reseller.
I just have one question:

Can somebody please tell me if the v1 and the v2 have the same amount of RAM?
In the Hardware table, the v2 info says "512 RAM" but if you enter the details page it says 256 RAM for both versions.

Thank's. :-)

(Last edited by djlosar on 25 Jun 2015, 00:37)

stesmi wrote:
cptn_brittish wrote:
stesmi wrote:

libpthread..so.0

// Stefan

Great. I was just making sure you weren't getting that from ldd which meant something was wrong during the build.

stesmi@Defiant:~$ ldd /bin/bash
        libncurses.so.5 => /usr/lib/libncurses.so.5 (0xb6f14000)
        libdl.so.0 => /lib/libdl.so.0 (0xb6f00000)
        libgcc_s.so.1 => /lib/libgcc_s.so.1 (0xb6ee4000)
        libc.so.0 => /lib/libc.so.0 (0xb6e88000)
        ld-uClibc.so.0 => /lib/ld-uClibc.so.0 (0xb6f50000)

For instance.

You can allocate a memory area as shared if you wish and use some kind of locking (or make it atomic).

mmap() with MAP_SHARED is one solution. For instance make a struct of a set size and you're golden.

mmap for sizeof(struct your_struct) and assign the pointer you get from mmap() to the pointer of your struct and you can use that between threads (or processes really since that's what fork() gives you in some implementations).

Now we've gotten Off Topic though (sorry all!).

I'm glad it worked out for you in the end!

// Stefan

Off topic can be a good thing it is how people like me learn<G>

(Last edited by northbound on 25 Jun 2015, 02:54)

djlosar wrote:

Hi guys.
I'm in the stage of purchasing the WRT1900AC and looking for the best reseller.
I just have one question:

Can somebody please tell me if the v1 and the v2 have the same amount of RAM?
In the Hardware table, the v2 info says "512 RAM" but if you enter the details page it says 256 RAM for both versions.

Thank's. :-)

Both have the same amount of RAM, but even if the v2 had 512, it's not going to make a difference in performance. Heck v1 doesn't use half the RAM it has already. Mine uses around 20% at any given time, and under extreme load might use 25% to 30%. So, I haven't observed it using any more, not to say that it can't.

Hardware Highlights
HW  Version     SoC                     Ram        Flash           Network     USB           Serial        JTag     eSata
v1     Marvell MV78230             256 MiB     128 MiB         1x2.0      1x3.0     Yes                    Yes
v2     Marvell Armada 38X(?)     256 MiB     128 MiB         1x2.0      1x3.0     Yes(?)            Yes

You can get v1's off of ebay sold as a "Certified Refurbished" for around 135 dollars. That's what I did, and it actually came with OpenWrt pre installed, though the first thing I did was to wipe it. lol

(Last edited by davidc502 on 25 Jun 2015, 03:10)

Vanav wrote:

Just for comparison, maximum results of my synthetic wireless bandwidth tests for OpenWRT CC: 540 Mbps. Connection: WLAN-LAN, 5 GHz, 802.11ac 80 MHz, 36 ch., 866.5 Mbps.

WLAN-WAN (internet) will be a bit less, because of NAT it becomes CPU-bound: 500 Mbps (CPU usage 100%).

JW0914, what is theoretical limit for out spatial stream system (4x4:3, 802.11ac, 80 MHz)?

I believe the theoretical limit is ~ 1300mb/s for ac @ the 80mHz width... from the XDA post I referenced earlier, ac appears to get 86mb/s per 20hz width, per spatial stream (1.286gb/s @ 80Mhz, 600mb/s @ 40mHz, hence the ac 1900 as the router classification - the WRT1200 would probably be 600mb/s & 600mb/s or 900mb/s & 300mb/s).

Actual speed will never be greater than ~ 867mb/s or 108.835MB/s.  Theoretical speeds are a horrible way to describe a product and they're used for marketing purposes only because most don't bother to research what those values mean (it's the equivalent of many retail stores advertising peak power for car audio, when the RMS value is what matters, as a product may hit the peak wattage value for 1 millisecond in the product's lifetime).  It doesn't matter if it's USB 2 @ 480MB/s, USB 3 @ 5GB/s, or ac radios at 1300mb/s... the only way physics would ever allow anything close to those speeds are via keeping the entire circuit at around 1 kelvin to utilize the 0% resistance that occurs when materials lose all electrical resistance at temperatures right above absolute zero, thereby turning them into superconductors.

(Last edited by JW0914 on 25 Jun 2015, 04:29)

alirz wrote:
JW0914 wrote:
alirz wrote:

Correct. i had used the term "limited" to avoid going into details about spatial stream explanation. Yes it is 1x1. Well i did used to be able to get sustained speeds of over 20MB for large size file transfer.. Perhaps the app used was generous in telling me the speed!.
I am on channel 149 80MHZ. Its the cleanest spectrum around me.

My hunch is it was human error in the coding of the app, as an algorithm is used to determine the actual speed per second.  Whenever we see xx/s it's not actually downloading/uploading at that specific speed, but is an average of the speed of the sent/received packets.  The raw values are plugged into an algorithm, which then gives us human output we can make sense of. 

There is another possibility, which is the NX5 utilizes wifi and bluetooth together to speed up the transfer of data.  I forget what the technology is called (bluetooth coexistence maybe?), but I know Intel has incorporated this specific technology into their wifi cards for the past half decade or so (as have broadcom and others).

(Last edited by JW0914 on 25 Jun 2015, 13:40)

I posted a bug report earlier today, but am curious if anyone else is experiencing this...

After reboot, remote WAN SSH fails unless DropBear is restarted, whereas LAN SSH has no issues.

(I'm not sure what information is needed, so please let me know what other information I need to pull and post.)

K.V.: 3.18.16
F.V.: r46118 / LuCI (git-15.168.50780-bae48b6)
DropBear V.: 2015.67-1

LAN SSH is set to it's own port and set to LAN only
WAN SSH is set to it's own port and set to WAN only

From looking at the running processes, DropBear is starting a process for the LAN SSH port, but is not starting the subsequent process for the WAN SSH port. As a workaround, I'll simply add a command to restart DropBear after a reboot.

(Last edited by JW0914 on 25 Jun 2015, 04:45)

Sorry, posts 5851 to 5850 are missing from our archive.