OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: davidc502 1900ac 3200acm builds

The content of this topic has been archived between 26 Feb 2018 and 7 May 2018. Unfortunately there are posts – most likely complete pages – missing.

starcms wrote:

Edit: This can only be used when in LEDE/OpenWRT.  When in the Linksys firmware, you could try the power reset trick that was linked, but it's not possible to SSH with the Linksys firmware.

Also the Linksys original firmware offers the possibility to boot into the other firmware: "restore previous firmware".
It is named a bit misleadingly, but in the context of two firmware partitions, it means the same switch to the other partition.

Hello from Greece.
I recently purchased one 1200AC v2 and i am a bit dissapointed.
No matter the firmware(stock/last lede snaphot from David) i cannot get the wifi to work anywhere near the "advertised" speed.

My internet connection is 50/5 and with iperf i get an avg of 24mbit over the 2.4 band and 80-90 in the 5ghz.

Am i the only one having these issues?

(Last edited by Pasxalisk on 30 Apr 2017, 10:32)

davidc502 wrote:

Adding the following packages to the next build. Moving forward these packages will be built in.

kmod-fs-ntfs
ntfs-3g

@:David
Nano package is usefull to edit in ssh. could you please add it in next fw.

Pasxalisk wrote:

Hello from Greece.
No matter the firmware(stock/last lede snaphot from David) i cannot get the wifi to work anywhere near the "advertised" speed.

My internet connection is 50/5 and with iperf i get an avg of 24mbit over the 2.4 band and 80-90 in the 5ghz.

Greetings from Canada.

You need to use a channel that lets you select a wide bandwidth in a non overlapping range. I use 149/80mHz. You also need a device that can take full advantage. My iPad can do 200/50, which is my plan.

Google the topic to see what channels to use in Greece.

starcms wrote:
davidc502 wrote:

Thanks for bringing it to my attention about the.bin and .img files, as they were swapped incorrectly, but have now been fixed.

Keep in mind for those who want to flash again... As the LuCi gui will likely complain and not let you flash, you will need to use the sysupgrade command.

If one is doing sysupgrade, choose the .img if you want to complete erase the firmware and replace it with a new image. Use the .bin file to upgrade the current image. 

I've noticed if LEDE is already on the partition, sometimes LuCi will let you flash using the .bin. Unknown reason why this isn't always true, but this has been an on-going problem for months that needs to be solved because new users will get frustrated.

Fortunately there are 2 partitions, and if something goes wrong, it's pretty easy to go back so that you can try again.

@david, I haven't had a single issue in months upgrading from your build to @cybrnook's builds and back, and upgrading your build on-top of itself in LuCi using the sysupgrade.bin file.  As long as I was on LEDE and not OpenWRT, everything has been fine.

What do you mean the .bin and .img files were swapped incorrectly?  The sysupgrade.bin has always been the smaller of the two and they have been named correctly.

I had them swapped on the faq page where it explains in what situation to use them in.

oldchip wrote:
davidc502 wrote:

Adding the following packages to the next build. Moving forward these packages will be built in.

kmod-fs-ntfs
ntfs-3g

Done

I've gone ahead and build 4.4.x Kernel for v1 owners in case they are having an issue with 4.9.x.  However, there's only been a comment or two about it.

V1 owners... is there still an issue with reboots?

Last time i did try, i did have problemens with my v1 reboots. Will try the latest build

Edit: First reboot after 10 minutes uptime.

(Last edited by pat30724 on 30 Apr 2017, 14:16)

d.o.scott wrote:
Pasxalisk wrote:

Hello from Greece.

Greetings from Canada.

You need to use a channel that lets you select a wide bandwidth in a non overlapping range. I use 149/80mHz. You also need a device that can take full advantage. My iPad can do 200/50, which is my plan.

Google the topic to see what channels to use in Greece.

Are you talking about 2.4 or 5ghz?
I am not sure what this 149/80 means.
The devices I am using are the latest MacBook Pro and an iPhone 7.
And I get the same disappointing results.
On 2.4ghz I tried 1,6,11 channels.
No improvement

Are you talking about 2.4 or 5ghz?
I am not sure what this 149/80 means.
The devices I am using are the latest MacBook Pro and an iPhone 7.
And I get the same disappointing results.
On 2.4ghz I tried 1,6,11 channels.
No improvement

5G. Channel 149  80 MHz width

sounds like your 2.4G is set for legacy mode, try it on N mode.

@davidc502

Starting with kernel version 4.7, ALL nf_conntrack helpers are no longer automatically enabled.
When starting the kernel log shows a warning:

nf_conntrack: default automatic helper assignment has been turned off for security reasons and CT-based  firewall rule not found. Use the iptables CT target to attach helpers instead.

As a result each helper now needs to be added manually to the firewall rules as a CT target. sad
The old behaviour can be restored by adding the following lines to /etc/sysctl.conf:

net.netfilter.nf_conntrack_helper=1

Perhaps it might be a good idea to add this to the default 4.9 image?

Adri.

Hi,
I am using latest firmware(kernel 4.9.20 and wifi driver 10.3.4.0-20170421) with 3200acm. I use routers openvpn client to connect to my vpn server. My problem is on when I enable wifi drivers and start to use torrent regardless of using wifi or lan. Memory quickly fills up and no memory remains after five minutes. Everything goes back to normal i disable wifi. I think there is memory leak problem in wifi drivers when using openvpn connection. I went back to use access point for wifi. sad

(Last edited by musasm on 30 Apr 2017, 18:20)

Just installed david's latest r4049 on my WRT3200. Got a window where teen girl and wife were not using Internet. Hard to find on weekend. wink Ran a iperf test for 10 minutes without issue on 5GHz wireless and transfer rate seemed very good. As noted by others the signal info in the wireless interface page is incorrect, no info. Other thing I notice is that the signal on the 2.4 is about 6 db lower in problem areas then the OEM firmware. This is using Acrylic Wi-Fi. Not sure if this is going to be a problem or not. Had similar issue with a previous version of LEDE that had to be ditched. Looks like Marvell is finally getting someplace with the driver.

Hi @davidc502,

Could you also add the adblock + luci addon to built-in firmware. Its very usefull. I know i can download and install it myself, but if it also comes inside it saves some space / memory / work big_smile

I will give i try about change from one partition and the another ( it could be nice to have it as a Menu on your firmware to luci execute the swap ), and also try the ntfs-3g on samba share to find the speed issue i had.

Thx so far for your help.

ygor.almeida wrote:

Hi @davidc502,

Could you also add the adblock + luci addon to built-in firmware. Its very usefull. I know i can download and install it myself, but if it also comes inside it saves some space / memory / work big_smile

I will give i try about change from one partition and the another ( it could be nice to have it as a Menu on your firmware to luci execute the swap ), and also try the ntfs-3g on samba share to find the speed issue i had.

Hey @ygor.almeida ... I've tried ad-block, but it didn't work well for me ... let me explain why. It does its work, it blocks adds basically, and does that SO well, that I can't allow some popups or ads that I do need to let through to get into some pages... I currently use the ad-block extension in Chrome, that I can disable at will if I need to ... a good examble is ad-fly, but there are others, and you can't know in advance... so , is there a workaround that you've found that works for you?

davidc502 wrote:

I've gone ahead and build 4.4.x Kernel for v1 owners in case they are having an issue with 4.9.x.  However, there's only been a comment or two about it.

V1 owners... is there still an issue with reboots?

Linksys WRT1900AC
Firmware Version    Lede Reboot SNAPSHOT r4049-9412fc2 / LuCI Master (git-17.117.26217-26fb47b)
Kernel Version    4.9.20

526.6 Mbit/s, 80MHz, VHT-MCS 5, VHT-NSS 2, Short GI

this is max on the 5 Ghz channel so far with a Pixel XL phone by google.

Just flashed, so it has only been up for   0h 5m 11s    smile

585.1 Mbit/s, 80MHz, VHT-MCS 6, VHT-NSS 2, Short GI connection speed after 1st reboot

1st spontaneous reboot after about 15 min of uptime, so we'll see how it goes...

(Last edited by hancor on 1 May 2017, 00:00)

WRT3200 running david's r4049 for 6 hours. Then could not access router, 192.168.1.1, from wireless and could not resolve Internet web sites from wireless. Could access router via ssh using wireless. Up until then things were running well. Too bad as I thought maybe there was finally a LEDE build that I could use as a daily driver on my wrt3200. Have now switched back to Linksys OEM. Did not have anytime to trouble shoot as teen needed Internet for school work. Had been streaming Netflix for about an hour when I noticed I could not access web sites because of no DNS resolution. I use 4.2.2.2 and 4.2.2.4 for DNS lookups, both with LEDE and Linksys. Lookups started working immediately when the wrt3200 came up on OEM. Highly unlikely these Level 3 DNS servers were having issues.

mariano.silva wrote:

Hey @ygor.almeida ... I've tried ad-block, but it didn't work well for me ... let me explain why. It does its work, it blocks adds basically, and does that SO well, that I can't allow some popups or ads that I do need to let through to get into some pages... I currently use the ad-block extension in Chrome, that I can disable at will if I need to ... a good examble is ad-fly, but there are others, and you can't know in advance... so , is there a workaround that you've found that works for you?

In fact it does work for me, at least for my use i don't remember to have problem. I've normally use the MVPS (WinHelp) block hosts file, and uBlockOrigin on Chrome. But, since i receive a lot of other PCs and Phones on my network, when blockhosts is directly in network, make things better. I don't have to care about virus malwares and pop-ups.

Normally when i need to allow something, just put it on whitelist and it does work.

I hate to use others computer outside my network, as i see web is loaded with high traffic with ADs ... Even my TV i can watch youtube without ads, as adblock works fine smile

Pasxalisk wrote:

Hello from Greece.

The status display in my 1200AC v1 says the Bitrate is 130Mbit for radio1 in 11g mode on channel 6 with 20Mhz width and 250mw power from 10 meters away. I didn't try the testing.

What does the status display say about your Bitrate?

EDIT: I just switched this notebook back to 5G on radio0 and also get 130Mbit there with the same Atheros dual-band AR9280 wifi adapter on channel 36 with just 20Mhz width. There is a different notebook connected to channel 6 now and that only shows a Bitrate of 54Mbit in the 1200AC status display page. That notebook has an older wifi adapter without dual band and is much slower. All of my wireless items have older wifi adapters so don't use the maximum capability of the 1200AC. I normally access very few servers on the internet that give me the about 5Mbyte download speeds my ISP allows anyway so am happy enough as is.

REEDIT: I just changed the settings for 5G from 20MHz to 40MHz width and the Bitrate now says 300Mbit in the router status page. There are two 5G clients associated and they each show 300Mbit so maybe that is what they mean by 2-stream. I didn't know these adapters would support that speed.

UPDATE: The speedtest website gave many 25Mbit test results from various servers. I then downloaded a file at 70Mbit speeds (I am actually paying for 60Mbits) so the bogus speedtest website only shows about 28% of actual speeds. The WRT1200AC results are faster than my old TP-link.

(Last edited by beginner67890 on 3 May 2017, 17:26)

Hello,

I built the latest snapshot from LEDE, but it seems to have old driver for 3200acm.
Is that right? How do I compile with the latest mwlwifi driver?

Sorry for the OOT question.

Thanks!

root@LEDE-ROUTER:~# opkg list-installed | grep firmware
mwifiex-sdio-firmware - 2016-09-21-42ad5367-1

(Last edited by rpugsley on 1 May 2017, 04:09)

Updated my 1900ACS V1 to r4049, but had DNS issues after the router finished rebooting. Had to reboot my cable modem and then the router in order to resolve. Seems fine now. Just wanted to mention as I hadn't had this issue with any previous driver.

Keep up the great work!

davidc502 wrote:
oldchip wrote:
davidc502 wrote:

kmod-fs-ntfs
ntfs-3g

Done

Joe is my editor of choice and is very simple to use.  Any chance of including it?  smile

mariano.silva wrote:
ygor.almeida wrote:

Hi @davidc502,

@david
I'd also highly encourage adding adblock and the luci addon for it.  For those that don't want it or use it can simply disable it (like dnscrypt which comes included but not enabled; although for those not using it, I'd highly recommend it.  Check out the Configuration section at https://wiki.openwrt.org/inbox/dnscrypt to learn how.  I'd recommend the 'cisco' resolver as it uses OpenDNS's servers which are extremely fast (very low ping)).

@mariano.silva
It's very easy to find the domain where your needed pop-ups are coming from, and add them to the whitelist.  In addition, adblock for LEDE comes with many blocklists to choose from which can be enabled or disabled one by one, so often you can just play with it a while to find the blocklist which is causing the problem.

It's much, much easier than having to install adblock or a similar program on every device on my network.  And some devices which I can't install an adblock-like program on.

(Last edited by starcms on 1 May 2017, 07:03)

adri wrote:

@davidc502

Starting with kernel version 4.7, ALL nf_conntrack helpers are no longer automatically enabled.
When starting the kernel log shows a warning:

nf_conntrack: default automatic helper assignment has been turned off for security reasons and CT-based  firewall rule not found. Use the iptables CT target to attach helpers instead.

As a result each helper now needs to be added manually to the firewall rules as a CT target. sad
The old behaviour can be restored by adding the following lines to /etc/sysctl.conf:

net.netfilter.nf_conntrack_helper=1

Perhaps it might be a good idea to add this to the default 4.9 image?

Adri.

Very helpful, thanks!

rpugsley wrote:

Hello,

I built the latest snapshot from LEDE, but it seems to have old driver for 3200acm.
Is that right? How do I compile with the latest mwlwifi driver?

Sorry for the OOT question.

Thanks!

root@LEDE-ROUTER:~# opkg list-installed | grep firmware
mwifiex-sdio-firmware - 2016-09-21-42ad5367-1

The driver is in the kmod-mwlwifi package.