OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: davidc502 1900ac 3200acm builds

The content of this topic has been archived between 26 Feb 2018 and 7 May 2018. Unfortunately there are posts – most likely complete pages – missing.

oldchip wrote:

@ mojolacerator:
How can i replace linksys fw to openwrt fw to save memory ?

You can't replace the linksys fw to "save memory".  There are two separate partitions.  Whether you have LEDE on both, or Linksys on one and LEDE on the other, each only has access to the memory available to it's partition.

(Last edited by starcms on 29 Apr 2017, 19:01)

suncharcool wrote:

Thanks everybody for your replies.

I'm not at home, but later I will try your sugestions.

Is safe to restore config from one build to another?
In this case, march 12 config to april 28.

Thanks!

Yes, it should be perfectly fine to restore your saved config.  I always do it. 

However, the april 28th build will continue to boot-loop on mamba until @david releases a version that doesn't use Kernel 4.9.  Right now there is a bug that causes the wrt1900ac v1 (mamba) to bootloop when used with kernel 4.9.  I believe @david had said he would release a firmware specifically for the mamba with kernel 4.4 when he had a chance.

starcms wrote:
mariano.silva wrote:
starcms wrote:

For all of those who took my advice on changing the distro feeds to point to the lede snapshot repo instead of david's repo (so that you can always get the most up-to-date packages) (see post 1505 on page 61 for more info)

Hope that helps someone!

AWESOME!!! Implemented already! I've also coupled it with this simple script below to actually DO the upgrades:

I'm a newbie so any improvements to my script are welcome as it looks like you're a pro man smile

Why are you doing all the?

cp /etc/config/luci

That file is automatically saved whenever luci is upgraded.

Good question ... That was NOT initially there, but I added it as it annoys me to go and change the THEME back to darkmatter every time there are updates to the LEDE luci packs. Should I be concerned that if an upgrade makes a change to the luci config file I may be overwriting it?

Also, since the script I posted runs automatically when loading when loading SSH, and does

opkg update

, plus the fact that

opkg flag hold base-files

only needs to be done only once ever, those two parts are redundant.  Especially the opkg update.  But the part showing which packages are available for upgrade, asking to update them, and then upgrading all of them is certainly useful.

Removed the "hold", good catch. Glad you liked the "confirmation" approach ... what I've noticed is that this LEDE guys have a lot of releases every day! luci gets specially lots of upgrades ...

mariano.silva wrote:
starcms wrote:

Why are you doing all the?

cp /etc/config/luci

That file is automatically saved whenever luci is upgraded.

Good question ... That was NOT initially there, but I added it as it annoys me to go and change the THEME back to darkmatter every time there are updates to the LEDE luci packs. Should I be concerned that if an upgrade makes a change to the luci config file I may be overwriting it?

Removed the "hold", good catch. Glad you liked the "confirmation" approach ... what I've noticed is that this LEDE guys have a lot of releases every day! luci gets specially lots of upgrades ...

I'm not sure where LuCi keeps the setting for the current theme, as I've noticed the same with it always reverting to the bootstrap theme after an upgrade, but it's not in /etc/config/luci.

Whenever you upgrade a package which has an existing config file, for example luci, opkg puts the new config file in /etc/config/luci-opkg and keeps the current config file at /etc/config/luci.  So opkg automatically does what you were doing smile

(Last edited by starcms on 29 Apr 2017, 19:25)

starcms wrote:

Whenever you upgrade a package which has an existing config file, for example luci, opkg puts the new config file in /etc/config/luci-opkg and keeps the current config file at /etc/config/luci.  So opkg automatically does what you were doing smile

Well... tried several times and it didn't kept the theme ... there are not LUCI upgrades today, but there will be shortly, so  you can try it yourself and see that the theme is reverted back to the default... with the "cp luci" that I'm doing, I'm preventing that from happening smile

starcms wrote:

I'm not sure where LEDE keeps the setting for the current theme, as I've noticed the same with it always reverting to the bootstrap theme after an upgrade, but it's not in /etc/config/luci.

The line that matters in /etc/config/luci that selects darkmatter is

option mediaurlbase '/luci-static/darkmatter'

Updated to r4049 on the 3200 this morning and it's been up and running for some 7 hours now. 5GHz is stable so far. Thanks David!!

Issues: I still don't see values for WiFi signal strength in LuCI, and I still cannot set transmit power to anything more than 20 dBm. If I edit the wireless config file to, say, 23 dBm, it switches to "auto". Country code is US (for now...will be DE soon!). Oh, and LuCI is still showing crazy high memory consumption while htop says everything is fine.

(Last edited by floydburgermcdahm on 29 Apr 2017, 19:30)

mariano.silva wrote:
starcms wrote:

I'm not sure where LEDE keeps the setting for the current theme, as I've noticed the same with it always reverting to the bootstrap theme after an upgrade, but it's not in /etc/config/luci.

The line that matters in /etc/config/luci that selects darkmatter is

option mediaurlbase '/luci-static/darkmatter'

Ok, then it's very odd that it gets overwritten when upgrading LuCi.  Because if you look in /etc/config/, you'll see a /etc/config/luci-opkg file that was created when LuCi was upgraded by opkg.  The /etc/config/luci file shouldn't be modified during an upgrade.  But since LuCi has so many packages, I bet the reason it is happening is because opkg isn't touching /etc/config/luci when upgrading the luci package, but  luci-base or another luci package is modifying it.  Good catch!

starcms got it right.
Each theme uses uci-defaults file to activate itself by overriding the previous theme selection in the config file. If you install/upgrade multiple themes, the last one sets the config item last and "wins".

Check theme sources for more details.

PS. I have multiple themes installed in my community builds, so I have modified the theme uci-defaults files to avoid that race.

(Last edited by hnyman on 29 Apr 2017, 19:48)

hnyman wrote:

starcms got it right.
Each theme uses uci-defaults file to activate itself by overriding the previous theme selection in the config file. If you install/upgrade multiple themes, the last one sets the config item last and "wins".

Check theme sources for more details.

PS. I have multiple themes installed in my community builds, so I have modified the theme uci-defaults files to avoid that race.

Ok, that's easy enough to solve.  Just remove the bootstrap theme smile

opkg remove luci-theme-bootstrap --force-depends

Thanks!!

Edit: And if it autoinstalls luci-theme-bootstrap when upgrading luci next time, then

opkg flag hold luci-theme-bootstrap

should fix it for good.

(Last edited by starcms on 29 Apr 2017, 20:17)

I've just now..... updated to  r4049, and wifi was not working on first boot. Ended up deleting the SSID configuration and re-created it, and was able to connect all devices again. So, I'm not sure what's causing that issue.

So far I can report that wifi is strong as I'm getting max up/down which for me is 300/300.. However, will run some perf tests on the LAN to see if I can eclipse that number.

I'm reading that some people are still plagued by being able to upgrade via the LuCi gui, and I intend to request an update on the problem. Honestly I don't guess it will make much difference, but will at least ask.

It sounds like we might have a couple of 1900ac V1 owners experiencing the known reboot issue. Currently the work around is to go back to r3988 or wait until I have a build for 4.4.x available to download.   https://davidc502sis.dynamic-dns.net/sn … u/generic/  If r3988 is what you upgraded from, just do the recovery procedure to go back.

(Last edited by davidc502 on 29 Apr 2017, 20:33)

For those seeing high RAM utilization.... Currently this is by design, and by the time of official wifi driver is released, RAM utilization will go back to normal.

From my laptop in the next room. My Android still does a little bit better from the same location.

Server listening on 5201
-----------------------------------------------------------
Accepted connection from 10.20.30.100, port 50822
[  5] local 10.20.30.120 port 5201 connected to 10.20.30.100 port 50823
[ ID] Interval           Transfer     Bandwidth
[  5]   0.00-1.00   sec  21.7 MBytes   182 Mbits/sec
[  5]   1.00-2.00   sec  23.0 MBytes   193 Mbits/sec
[  5]   2.00-3.00   sec  23.1 MBytes   194 Mbits/sec
[  5]   3.00-4.00   sec  23.0 MBytes   193 Mbits/sec
[  5]   4.00-5.00   sec  22.8 MBytes   191 Mbits/sec
[  5]   5.00-6.00   sec  22.6 MBytes   189 Mbits/sec
[  5]   6.00-7.00   sec  23.1 MBytes   194 Mbits/sec
[  5]   7.00-8.00   sec  23.3 MBytes   195 Mbits/sec
[  5]   8.00-9.00   sec  23.3 MBytes   195 Mbits/sec
[  5]   9.00-10.00  sec  23.2 MBytes   195 Mbits/sec
[  5]  10.00-10.07  sec  1.53 MBytes   192 Mbits/sec
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
[ ID] Interval           Transfer     Bandwidth
[  5]   0.00-10.07  sec  0.00 Bytes  0.00 bits/sec                  sender
[  5]   0.00-10.07  sec   231 MBytes   192 Mbits/sec                  receiver
Server listening on 5201

hi david, sorry for asking this simple question ...

i bought a linksys wrt1900acs v2 from amazon and am trying to flash your lede-mvebu-linksys-wrt1900acs-squashfs-sysupgrade.bin (2017-04-28 06:25) from the stock linksys ui > Router Firmware Upgrade > Manual (my pc and router is connected via LAN cable connect to LAN 1 port).

the router was then only blinks with power led only and ping result to 192.168.1.1 always "Destination host unreachable." i have no choice to roll it back and back to linksys stock firmware ...

any idea that anything i may have missed ?

ekstse wrote:

hi david, sorry for asking this simple question ...

i bought a linksys wrt1900acs v2 from amazon and am trying to flash your lede-mvebu-linksys-wrt1900acs-squashfs-sysupgrade.bin (2017-04-28 06:25) from the stock linksys ui > Router Firmware Upgrade > Manual (my pc and router is connected via LAN cable connect to LAN 1 port).

the router was then only blinks with power led only and ping result to 192.168.1.1 always "Destination host unreachable." i have no choice to roll it back and back to linksys stock firmware ...

any idea that anything i may have missed ?

smile i answer my own question....

in the FAQ... it mentioned:

"a .bin is used to flash from a browser."

it seems not the case ..... i need to choose the .img instead (reference to Flashing Firmware section > OEM to OpenWrt , point #2, of wiki.openwrt.org/toh/linksys/wrt1x00ac_series#tab__flash1

btw, thanks for your firmware !

I'm using your build with WRT1900ac v1. Working pretty well here. Keeping with the last build.

... I just connected an USB 3.0 External drive ( Samsung 2TB ) to the router - with ext4 format. But i feel samba pretty slow. Read is about 45 and write only 30 over LAN cable. Did i missed something? isn't usb 3.0 be able to perform better.

I saw other guys screens about 110 at reading from router to desktop and about 50 from desktop do router (writting)

Any clues ??

I'm not on David's images, but FWIW, when I tried r4050, the wifi wasn't as stable as on r4049, so I've reverted back to r4049. Haven't yet tried r4051.

ekstse wrote:

i need to choose the .img instead

True.

I just flashed my WRT1200AC v1 from the factory to LEDE so this is fresh in my mind. I uploaded the lede-mvebu-linksys-wrt1200ac-squashfs-factory.img in the Linksys router 192.168.1.1 factory browser page connected with the ethernet lan cable and that worked fine. The factory Linksys firmware flasher reported a problem when all finished probably because the Linksys firmware was gone and replaced with LEDE. That is good news.

You might have already trashed one partition with the wrong firmware. Try to switch to the other partition containing a still good copy of the Linksys factory firmware and then flash LEDE again from the factory firmware.
https://wiki.openwrt.org/toh/linksys/wrt_ac_series

(Last edited by beginner67890 on 30 Apr 2017, 02:33)

ygor.almeida wrote:

I'm using your build with WRT1900ac v1. Working pretty well here. Keeping with the last build.

... I just connected an USB 3.0 External drive ( Samsung 2TB ) to the router - with ext4 format. But i feel samba pretty slow. Read is about 45 and write only 30 over LAN cable. Did i missed something? isn't usb 3.0 be able to perform better.

I saw other guys screens about 110 at reading from router to desktop and about 50 from desktop do router (writting)

Any clues ??

Can you test NTFS?

Format the drive to NTFS.

Install -  kmod-fs-ntfs   
Install - ntfs-3g
Mount Example :  ntfs-3g /dev/sda /mnt/usb

Then Make sure the samba share is active and test mapping the drive, and then test transferring some files.

(Last edited by davidc502 on 30 Apr 2017, 04:20)

Thanks for bringing it to my attention about the.bin and .img files, as they were swapped incorrectly, but have now been fixed.

Keep in mind for those who want to flash again... As the LuCi gui will likely complain and not let you flash, you will need to use the sysupgrade command.

If one is doing sysupgrade, choose the .img if you want to complete erase the firmware and replace it with a new image. Use the .bin file to upgrade the current image. 

I've noticed if LEDE is already on the partition, sometimes LuCi will let you flash using the .bin. Unknown reason why this isn't always true, but this has been an on-going problem for months that needs to be solved because new users will get frustrated.

Fortunately there are 2 partitions, and if something goes wrong, it's pretty easy to go back so that you can try again.

(Last edited by davidc502 on 30 Apr 2017, 02:09)

davidc502 wrote:

I've noticed if LEDE is already on the partition, sometimes LuCi will let you flash using the .bin. Unknown reason why this isn't always true, but this has been an on-going problem for months that needs to be solved because new users will get frustrated.

Fortunately there are 2 partitions, and if something goes wrong, it's pretty easy to go back so that you can try again.

Now i understand why i had some trouble to flash and get back ... anyway. The only thing i didn't get it ... while in open/lede - is it easy by ssh, to change to other partition or original. how from original i can get back to open/lede.

By doing like this, i can easy play with 2 different firmware for the same device and try other options ?

ygor.almeida wrote:
davidc502 wrote:

Now i understand why i had some trouble to flash and get back ... anyway. The only thing i didn't get it ... while in open/lede - is it easy by ssh, to change to other partition or original. how from original i can get back to open/lede.

By doing like this, i can easy play with 2 different firmware for the same device and try other options ?

I haven't tested this whilst on Linksys firmware, but try doing the recovery procedure found in the wiki.  Let me know if it works.

https://wiki.openwrt.org/toh/linksys/wr … e_recovery

Adding the following packages to the next build. Moving forward these packages will be built in.

kmod-fs-ntfs
ntfs-3g

davidc502 wrote:

Thanks for bringing it to my attention about the.bin and .img files, as they were swapped incorrectly, but have now been fixed.

Keep in mind for those who want to flash again... As the LuCi gui will likely complain and not let you flash, you will need to use the sysupgrade command.

If one is doing sysupgrade, choose the .img if you want to complete erase the firmware and replace it with a new image. Use the .bin file to upgrade the current image. 

@david, I haven't had a single issue in months upgrading from your build to @cybrnook's builds and back, and upgrading your build on-top of itself in LuCi using the sysupgrade.bin file.  As long as I was on LEDE and not OpenWRT, everything has been fine.

What do you mean the .bin and .img files were swapped incorrectly?  The sysupgrade.bin has always been the smaller of the two and they have been named correctly.

(Last edited by starcms on 30 Apr 2017, 06:54)

ygor.almeida wrote:
davidc502 wrote:

You can use this script in SSH to easily switch between the two partitions.

#!/bin/sh
# Hacked from /lib/upgrade/linksys.sh (then taken from anomeome and hacked even further)

cur_boot_part=`/usr/sbin/fw_printenv -n boot_part`
target_firmware=""
if [ "$cur_boot_part" = "1" ]
then
    target_firmware="Switching to Kernel/Partition 2"
    fw_setenv boot_part 2
    fw_setenv bootcmd "run altnandboot"
elif [ "$cur_boot_part" = "2" ]
then
    target_firmware="Switching to Kernel/Partition 1"
    fw_setenv boot_part 1
    fw_setenv bootcmd "run nandboot"
fi
# Re-enable recovery so we get back in case the new firmware ist kaput
fw_setenv auto_recovery yes
echo "$target_firmware"

# Add option to reboot now or later
read -p "Are you ready to reboot now? y or n = " CONT
if [ "$CONT" = "y" ]; then
    echo "Rebooting now"
    reboot
elif [ "$CONT" = "yes" ]; then
    echo "Rebooting now"
    reboot
else
    echo "Exiting for manual reboot"
fi

Edit: This can only be used when in LEDE/OpenWRT.  When in the Linksys firmware, you could try the power reset trick that was linked, but it's not possible to SSH with the Linksys firmware.

(Last edited by starcms on 30 Apr 2017, 08:08)