OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: davidc502 1900ac 3200acm builds

The content of this topic has been archived between 26 Feb 2018 and 7 May 2018. Unfortunately there are posts – most likely complete pages – missing.

Yes, you lose a usb port... I use that segate drive that has a built in 2 hub por hub.... But, you can always use a phone charger smile

92 eh? Yea, do the mod!

(Last edited by Cantenna on 12 Apr 2018, 14:33)

degroe wrote:
bigdave240 wrote:

Probably a newb issue but am running the latest david release and have one device that wont connect on my 3200acm. It's a smart plug that only works on 2.4band. It tries to connect but never gets there. I have an old router connected lan to lan with the 3200 and if I turn on 2.4 on that it will connect fine. So it appears to be something about the 2.4 itself. I've tried wpa2, wpa2 mixed. N mode, legacy and all combos I can think of. Any suggestions? Every thing else that can connect by 2.4 seems ok.

Here is my experience with the 3200acm. In order to connect with the smart plug on 2.4G, I have to just use legacy mode and uncheck the WMM (wireless multimedia). However with this configuration I can only get a few hundred KB download speed with other devices.
In DD-WRT, you can enable the third radio (BT/WiFi combo) and there is no issue for smart plug to connect to it while the main 8964 2.4G radio can be configured to be useful.

Thanks everyone for the responses. Based on this I set legacy and no wmm
And it connected. Then turned on wmm and it stayed connected. Then enabled n mode and it again stayed connected. Tried it a couple of times and it still works! Hope this helps others having this issue.thanks again

makedir wrote:

I was able to solve the permanent dnsmasq restarts btw by deactivating ipv6.
do ALL these steps:

1. put net.ipv6.conf.all.disable_ipv6=1 into /etc/sysctl.conf
2. /etc/init.d/odhcpd disable
3. remove the network IPv6 ULA-Prefix (important), set it to blank (luci: network->interfaces https://i.imgur.com/wHS38sB.png)
4. deselect 'bring up at boot' for wan6 ( luci: https://i.imgur.com/yv3yEms.png )
5. select disabled/disabled/disabledfor ipv6 dhcp server for lan ( luci: https://i.imgur.com/XjPfA5c.png )

Those are very clear steps. I couldn't find the information anyplace. Thanks.

I also happened to be disabling ipv6 recently except by the trial and error approach. I managed to get the strange ipv6 things disabled just by arriving at a certain combination of clicks in luci.
I think the main solution in addition to your steps 4 and 5 was to uncheck the "use inbuilt ipv6 management" in Network/Interfaces/[WAN,WAN6,LAN]/Advanced tab. Then I waited for the ipv6 client leases to expire and they never came back. The WAN and WAN6 support might be needed depending on the ISP so just the LAN ipv6 could be disabled in that case.

Did you figure out your technique from reading the documents? https://openwrt.org/docs/start All I could find after finished with my experiment was about enabling ipv6 not removing ipv6. That place is like a maze. Thanks for the info.

if the goal is to remove annoying logs from dnsmasq, it's better disable logging, rather than disable IPv6 smile

Actually it's not dnsmasq restart, but re-read of config files.
same as SIGHUP to dnsmaq pid (try "pkill -SIGHUP dnsmasq")
I think I found same whenever any of my device get IPv6 assigned by odhpcd

EDIT1:
notice PID of dnsmasq does not changes in syslog whenever dnsmasq output reading a file. That proves SIGHUP rather than restart.

EDIT2: I think odhcpd do ifup thus dnsmasq receive SIGHUP.

EDIT3: yes, it's odhcp call a script

root@LINKSYS:~# uci show dhcp.odhcpd
dhcp.odhcpd=odhcpd
dhcp.odhcpd.maindhcp='0'
dhcp.odhcpd.leasefile='/tmp/hosts/odhcpd'
dhcp.odhcpd.leasetrigger='/usr/sbin/odhcpd-update'
dhcp.odhcpd.loglevel='4'
root@LINKSYS:~# cat /usr/sbin/odhcpd-update
#!/bin/sh
# Make dnsmasq reread hostfile by sending SIGHUP signal

. $IPKG_INSTROOT/lib/functions/procd.sh

procd_send_signal dnsmasq

(Last edited by AddRemover on 12 Apr 2018, 19:25)

@AddRemover you forgot an edit4 to remove your nonsense of "if the goal is to remove annoying logs from dnsmasq, it's better disable logging, rather than disable IPv6". Goal to remove logs? ... : D Dnsmas reloading configs IS restarting. And It happens like every 5-20 minutes and like 3 times in a row every time, which I DONT WANT AND THAT IS THE GOAL. Especially because of using adblock which means it will reload (parse, high cpu usage) 20000 DNS block config logs every time (redundant action) it is reloading configs. It seems there is something wrong with the local ipv6 lease time, or the lease is permanently renewing when a WIFI client connects. I also somehow have problems with this build with my Android devices in idle, they seem to lose connectivity during some time because I dont get any push notifications. I think this WIFI driver wont ever become 100% stable it seems. Also I dont want IPv6 anyway, it is just a mess and I dont need it.

(Last edited by makedir on 12 Apr 2018, 20:48)

makedir wrote:
fcs001fcs wrote:
makedir wrote:

I was able to solve the permanent dnsmasq restarts btw by deactivating ipv6.

@makedir

I have the same issue and thought I had disabled/ deactivated IPV6 but I must have missed something.

Can you give me your steps for disabling IPV6?

Yepp. Totally same issue. Why? Because the Lede morons havent still put a simple one button solution into OpenWrt to deactivate Ipv6. You have to hack yourself through it to fully deactivate it, do ALL these steps:

3. remove the network IPv6 ULA-Prefix (important), set it to blank (luci: network->interfaces https://i.imgur.com/wHS38sB.png)
4. deselect 'bring up at boot' for wan6 ( luci: https://i.imgur.com/yv3yEms.png )
5. select disabled/disabled/disabledfor ipv6 dhcp server for lan ( luci: https://i.imgur.com/XjPfA5c.png )

nasty, isnt it? THAT, and only THAT, should deactivate ipv6 on this build. the constant dnsmasq restart issues should now be fixed. the wan6 virtual interface still comes up afer this which also seems like a bug to me, but it doesnt matter.

@komodo_1 yes, seems so. just test it? look into /tmp/adb_list.overall and open one of the blocked entries on one of your clients in a browser which hasnt any adblock addon active.

@makedir

Thanks!!

I gave it a try and it seems to fix the issue but will give it utill tomorrow to be sure

To update dnsmasq just do opkg update and then opkg install dnsmasq and the bug is fixed.

I usually disable ipv6, when unused, on every Linux box I manage.
And on the most of them is the same mess, requires a lot of configuration edit (ie sysctl.conf, ifcfg-ethx, ecc)

P.s. Remember to run "syscyl - p" or reboot the device once syscyl.conf has been modified

Thanks for the hint, I was forgiving that

makedir wrote:

Dnsmas reloading configs IS restarting. And It happens like every 5-20 minutes and like 3 times in a row every time, which I DONT WANT AND THAT IS THE GOAL. Especially because of using adblock which means it will reload (parse, high cpu usage) 20000 DNS block config logs every time (redundant action) it is reloading configs

so simply remove from UCI dhcp.odhcpd.leasetrigger so it won't re-read configs whenever IPv6 do something bad.
I also use adblock and I don't like this dnsmasq noice in syslog. Moreover, my dnsmask configured for different dns servers (for intranet and blocked sites, .onion TLD and cetera) so I have much more noice.
I've disabled leasetrigger on my box and will see how it goes.

makedir wrote:

It seems there is something wrong with the local ipv6 lease time, or the lease is permanently renewing when a WIFI client connects. I also somehow have problems with this build with my Android devices in idle, they seem to lose connectivity during some time because I dont get any push notifications. I think this WIFI driver wont ever become 100% stable it seems. Also I dont want IPv6 anyway, it is just a mess and I dont need it.

I've also noticed no push for my work mailbox few builds ago. It uses outlook365 servers so I was really sure it's issue on my side. Laptop got pushes OK. I've cheked logcat on android device and tcpdump on router to see what is wrong, since internet was OK on the android device. I've found that this is an issue... with IPv6 smile
Whenever android got IPv6, connection to outlook365 goes via v6 and messed up. If android use IPv4 - all is OK with pushes. So I've played a bit with my IPv6 config so now everything works fine even after few builds upgrade.

root@LINKSYS:~# uci show network.wan6
network.wan6=interface
network.wan6.ifname='eth1.2'
network.wan6.proto='dhcpv6'
root@LINKSYS:~# uci show dhcp.lan
dhcp.lan=dhcp
dhcp.lan.interface='lan'
dhcp.lan.start='100'
dhcp.lan.leasetime='48h'
dhcp.lan.limit='50'
dhcp.lan.force='1'
dhcp.lan.dhcpv6='hybrid'
dhcp.lan.ra_management='2'
dhcp.lan.ra='hybrid'
root@LINKSYS:~# uci show dhcp.odhcpd
dhcp.odhcpd=odhcpd
dhcp.odhcpd.maindhcp='0'
dhcp.odhcpd.leasefile='/tmp/hosts/odhcpd'
dhcp.odhcpd.loglevel='5'

EDIT1:
Now it appears to re-read configs each 15 minutes. Will try to findout why.

(Last edited by AddRemover on 13 Apr 2018, 08:17)

fcs001fcs wrote:
makedir wrote:
fcs001fcs wrote:

@makedir

I have the same issue and thought I had disabled/ deactivated IPV6 but I must have missed something.

Can you give me your steps for disabling IPV6?

Yepp. Totally same issue. Why? Because the Lede morons havent still put a simple one button solution into OpenWrt to deactivate Ipv6. You have to hack yourself through it to fully deactivate it, do ALL these steps:

nasty, isnt it? THAT, and only THAT, should deactivate ipv6 on this build. the constant dnsmasq restart issues should now be fixed. the wan6 virtual interface still comes up afer this which also seems like a bug to me, but it doesnt matter.

@komodo_1 yes, seems so. just test it? look into /tmp/adb_list.overall and open one of the blocked entries on one of your clients in a browser which hasnt any adblock addon active.

@makedir

Thanks!!

I gave it a try and it seems to fix the issue but will give it utill tomorrow to be sure

I am no expert but I checked and it seems to be working correct.

I have always wanted to disable IPv6 totally and thought I did but it was a lot more complicated than I thought.

Thanks to @makedir and others here for their help.

AddRemover wrote:

Now it appears to re-read configs each 15 minutes. Will try to findout why.

First guess: 30 min DHCPv6 or RA address lifetime, so renewal at 15min.
See line 122: ra_lifetime, default 1800 seconds...
https://git.openwrt.org/?p=project/odhc … =HEAD#l122

and possibly also line 124 ra_useleasetime might help

This could possibly be configured in /etc/config/dhcp with those options.

(but this whole discussion has nothing to do with David's build, so it would be better to discuss in a separate topic)

no it's not odhcpd. I've disabled a script and even stop odhcpd, dnsmasq still re-read config.
I will try to run dnsmaq in debug log level to findout what causing this

EDIT1:
I figured out what cause dnsmasq to reload config.
It's line 1048 in /etc/init.d/dnsmasq

procd_add_raw_trigger "interface.*" 2000 /etc/init.d/dnsmasq reload

Commented out and now my syslog is clean and shine.

something similar reported here

(Last edited by AddRemover on 13 Apr 2018, 15:05)

T-Troll wrote:
wayne1958 wrote:

Hi all

[16560.825273] Buffer I/O error on dev sda, logical block 488144896, lost sync page write
[16560.833250] JBD2: Error -5 detected when updating journal superblock for sda-8.
[16560.840578] Aborting journal on device sda-8.
[16560.844986] Buffer I/O error on dev sda, logical block 488144896, lost sync page write
[16560.852935] JBD2: Error -5 detected when updating journal superblock for sda-8.
[19817.013638] usb 3-2: USB controller 0000:01:00.0 does not support streams, which are required by the UAS driver.

Can anyone help here? I find it wierd that no-one else has reported this sort of issue to be fair, and wodner if my hardware is itself broken...

As an addition of the David's - first, run e2fsck - you have problems with HDD filesystem.
Second, seems like you controller chip is not so good for streaming.

In fact, i STRONGLY recommend forget about USB and spend $5 at Amazon for eSATA/USBPower cable - a way more stable and faster way to connect HDD to router.

UPDATE +> I ran e2fsck this morning with the folllowing results

Pass 1: Checking inodes, blocks, and sizes
Pass 2: Checking directory structure
Pass 3: Checking directory connectivity
/lost+found not found.  Create<y>? yes
Pass 4: Checking reference counts
Pass 5: Checking group summary information

/dev/sda: ***** FILE SYSTEM WAS MODIFIED *****
/dev/sda: 3189/244195328 files (7.8% non-contiguous), 476966991/976754646 blocks
root@OpenWrt:~# 

Since then I have been streaming all day with no reboots so it looks like you were right and there was some file corruption issue on the disk. Many thanks - this was driving me upthe wall!

makedir wrote:

3. remove the network IPv6 ULA-Prefix (important), set it to blank (luci: network->interfaces ...)
4. deselect 'bring up at boot' for wan6 ( luci: ...)
5. select disabled/disabled/disabledfor ipv6 dhcp server for lan ( luci: ...)

nasty, isnt it? THAT, and only THAT, should deactivate ipv6 on this build. the constant dnsmasq restart issues should now be fixed. the wan6 virtual interface still comes up afer this which also seems like a bug to me, but it doesnt matter...

@makedir

System-->Startup-->Local Startup
#add lines
echo "1" > /proc/sys/net/ipv6/conf/all/disable_ipv6
echo "1" > /proc/sys/net/ipv6/conf/default/disable_ipv6
echo "1" > /proc/sys/net/ipv6/conf/lo/disable_ipv6
#before
exit 0

and disable odhcpd from UI, and drop the WAN6 interface.
This disables ipv6 completely.

@davidc502, I have been facing an infuriating bug on both current builds off DD-WRT by ByanSlayer and your LEDE builds which must mean that its a bug with the current wifi driver. All works great but periodically the 2.4ghz network goes down and won't come up again. Only way to bring it back up is a reboot. I would prefer not to reboot but simply disabling and re-enabling the interface for the device does not work. I have a WRT1900ACS ver 1

http://i66.tinypic.com/vwqsrk.png

Anyone else come up against this? I think perhaps this bug goes unnoticed because most have the 2.4 and 5ghz ssis the same

(Last edited by Cantenna on 13 Apr 2018, 22:05)

Cantenna wrote:

@davidc502, I have been facing an infuriating bug on both current builds off DD-WRT by ByanSlayer and your LEDE builds which must mean that its a bug with the current wifi driver. All works great but periodically the 2.4ghz network goes down and won't come up again. Only way to bring it back up is a reboot. I would prefer not to reboot but simply disabling and re-enabling the interface for the device does not work. I have a WRT1900ACS ver 1

Anyone else come up against this? I think perhaps this bug goes unnoticed because most have the 2.4 and 5ghz ssis the same

This isn't to say your issues are not happening, but I have devices connected 24/7 to both 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz, and both have been rock solid for some time.

Can you share the wifi logs when 2.4Ghz goes down?  I'm not sure I can do anything, but if you collect the logs and take them over to Github Kaloz's site, you will be helped.

https://github.com/kaloz/mwlwifi/issues

*Edit*

any reason why the firmware name is displayed in the radio0 and 1 lines?  I'm wondering if this is custom.  This is what mine displays.  Generic MAC80211 802.11bgn

Also, when you came over to the 'davidc502' build, did you FORGET all settings and start fresh/scratch?  It's been very well known coming over from DDWRT and saving settings causes issues.

(Last edited by davidc502 on 13 Apr 2018, 22:26)

davidc502 wrote:
Cantenna wrote:

This isn't to say your issues are not happening, but I have devices connected 24/7 to both 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz, and both have been rock solid for some time.

Can you share the wifi logs when 2.4Ghz goes down?  I'm not sure I can do anything, but if you collect the logs and take them over to Github Kaloz's site, you will be helped.

*Edit*

any reason why the firmware name is displayed in the radio0 and 1 lines?  I'm wondering if this is custom.  This is what mine displays.  Generic MAC80211 802.11bgn

Also, when you came over to the 'davidc502' build, did you FORGET all settings and start fresh/scratch?  It's been very well known coming over from DDWRT and saving settings causes issues.

I do typically reset all setting in web portal before setup and I always flash from stock fw to maintain brick protection.

Regarding firmware in radio names, I just re-flashed and reset; on my device this is how it is without any configuration

Before I do, which logs do you need?

Also, I haven't rebooted yet, any troubleshooting you want me to try while the radio is still non functional?

(Last edited by Cantenna on 13 Apr 2018, 23:35)

Cantenna wrote:
davidc502 wrote:
Cantenna wrote:

*Edit*

I do typically reset all setting in web portal before setup and I always flash from stock fw to maintain brick protection.

Regarding firmware in radio names, I just re-flashed and reset; on my device this is how it is without any configuration

Also, I haven't rebooted yet, any troubleshooting you want me to try while the radio is still non functional?

You should be able to grab system and kernel logs from LuCi.  Look for error etc.. dealing with wifi .

Also copy the wirless config please >  cat /etc/config/wireless

(Last edited by davidc502 on 13 Apr 2018, 23:48)

Cantenna wrote:

I have a different ssid for 2.4 and 5Ghz channels except I use a local address for my LAN = 192.168.1.0 network not 180.168.123.0 IP address. I wonder if your LAN network address is the problem? I found this:

Provider: Chinanet Shanghai Province Network - MoonSearch
List of sites hosted on Chinanet Shanghai Province Network. ... Addresses 284811533. Click to view ... 180.168.123.0 →180.168.125.200

beginner67890 wrote:
Cantenna wrote:

I have a different ssid for 2.4 and 5Ghz channels except I use a local address for my LAN = 192.168.1.0 network not 180.168.123.0 IP address. I wonder if your LAN network address is the problem? I found this:

Provider: Chinanet Shanghai Province Network - MoonSearch
List of sites hosted on Chinanet Shanghai Province Network. ... Addresses 284811533. Click to view ... 180.168.123.0 →180.168.125.200

Thanks for the suggestion but i dont understand the connection to your quote, can you explain?

Also 5ghz continues to work without issues when 2.4ghz goes down

(Last edited by Cantenna on 14 Apr 2018, 02:55)

davidc502 wrote:
Cantenna wrote:
davidc502 wrote:

*Edit*

You should be able to grab system and kernel logs from LuCi.  Look for error etc.. dealing with wifi .

i scp the /var/log directory all was empty but ddns.

Ill upload the config shortly. I just bought two tplink power line adapters. 5ghz never had an issue but 2.4ghz seems flaky and I have one device  that depended om 2.4ghz that i need to always be up. One observation I have, seems to go down only when there is alot of traffic

(Last edited by Cantenna on 14 Apr 2018, 02:51)

Cantenna wrote:
davidc502 wrote:
Cantenna wrote:

i scp the /var/log directory all was empty but ddns

You can run the command logread and dmesg to get your logs.

Cantenna wrote:

Thanks for the suggestion but i dont understand the connection to your quote, can you explain?

I noticed you have an Xperia.lan address of 180.168.123.13 and that is also an address used by an ISP for the internet. There are a series of addresses not used by the internet and commonly reserved for use on a LAN to prevent conflicts and you are not using one of those choices.

Using the same address on a LAN as already used by the internet could result in problems if the two networks are not kept completely separate. Did you have any reason not to use the default of 192.168.1.1 for the router? Do you bridge your WAN and LAN?

I just noticed that is something not found in a default installation.

beginner67890 wrote:
Cantenna wrote:

I noticed you have an Xperia.lan address of 180.168.123.13 and that is also an address used by an ISP for the internet. There are a series of addresses not used by the internet and commonly reserved for use on a LAN to prevent conflicts and you are not using one of those choices.

Using the same address on a LAN as already used by the internet could result in problems if the two networks are not kept completely separate. Did you have any reason not to use the default of 192.168.1.1 for the router? Do you bridge your WAN and LAN?

Usually, ISP's DHCP dole out 1 IP address unless paying extra for a block. If the outside interface is connected to the WAN, there's the one IP. I couldn't imagine in this day and age a ISP doling out multiple IPv4 addresses unless paying extra. Even then, when you pay for a block they send an assignment to which you configure behind the firewall...  It's just odd to me.

(Last edited by davidc502 on 14 Apr 2018, 04:33)

davidc502 wrote:
beginner67890 wrote:
Cantenna wrote:

Usually, ISP's DHCP dole out 1 IP address unless paying extra for a block. If the outside interface is connected to the WAN, there's the one IP. I couldn't imagine in this day and age a ISP doling out multiple IPv4 addresses unless paying extra. Even then, when you pay for a block they send an assignment to which you configure behind the firewall...  It's just odd to me.

Thanks for the tip, but my isp ip is different from my lan subnet so I don't see why this would cause my radio1 to stop functioning while my radio0 continues to work fine

Sorry, posts 5501 to 5500 are missing from our archive.