OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: TL-WR841N V10 OpenWRT

The content of this topic has been archived between 23 Oct 2016 and 24 Apr 2018. Unfortunately there are posts – most likely complete pages – missing.

zoon wrote:
make image PROFILE=TLWR841 PACKAGES="libiwinfo-lua liblua libubus-lua libuci-lua lua luci luci-app-firewall luci-base luci-lib-ip luci-lib-nixio luci-mod-admin-full luci-proto-ipv6 luci-proto-ppp luci-theme-bootstrap rpcd uhttpd uhttpd-mod-ubus"

You are adding a lot of unnecessary lines over there:

make image PROFILE=TLWR841 PACKAGES="libiwinfo-lua libubus-lua luci luci-lib-nixio rpcd uhttpd-mod-ubus"

And I don't know if libiwinfo, libubus, rpcd, and luci-lib-nixio are already integrated. I think rpcd, libiwinfo-lua are already on the base files.

@netomx:

ty for the hint!
I was just copying the listed packages out of the config.diff of 15.05. v9, without knowing/taking into account that the base of the used trunk version may differ from that / the base package would be listed there too. That's interesting, maybe i'll work out the correct packages, a bit more space on my device wouldn't be to bad for playing around, + i've got a very hard time getting into VIM (-: i rather scp the stuff back and forth.

Concerning my usage so far, everything works nice. I'm running the bin as a "hardware firewall" via PPPOE, wifi works so far, signal strength seems to be the same as with the original firmware, dhcp seems to work.

If the compile from source would be really a way to contribute something on the journey to an official version, that would be something worth the effort i think. Somewhere i read that the FREIFUNK project has a working v10 compile in testing out there too, i think.

edit: i removed the link to this "double-packaged" bin from the wiki! (https://wiki.openwrt.org/toh/tp-link/tl … d_versions)

edit2:  opkg list-installed (pastebin)

(Last edited by zoon on 18 Nov 2015, 23:26)

zoon wrote:

@netomx:

ty for the hint!

np man, glad to help

zoon wrote:

@jamest42:

Great, ty for your efforts on this!
Does that mean after the install of the compiled version would be space left on the device ? And how much?
One more question, how far would an attempt like yours, to compile a version from sources and applying the patches, be away from a "official" openWRT version ?

Hi!
My version is nearly the same as any other images for older 841 version except for the patches, which change some hundred bytes or so. So you have exactly the same space available as with any other 841 and 15.05.

tritonmole wrote:
jamest42 wrote:

I have compiled a real 15.05 with the ar71xx patches from the gluon firmware project. So you can still install software and stuff after a while, which is a big problem with trunk.

What do mean with "after a while"?

Will I be able to run xl2tpd on this firmware?

I might give it a try.

Thanks for the work!

trunk changes all the time, sometimes you simply can not install some things after a while because the kernel version is different or other stuff happened. My image is proper 15.05 version so you can always install stuff.
I don't know what xl2tpd is. But my image is functionally the same as any other 841 image. So if that particular program is working on any other 841 version it should be working with my image.

@jamest42:

Congartulations! Works much better, than the trunk-version!
WiFi seem to run stable. I am listening to internetradio for about 10 minutes. With the other version the stream stalled after a about 2 minutes.

Now I have a technical question wich is for openwrt in general:
I want to install "xl2tpd", a package that should enable the router to connect to a vpn-service to tunnel my internetconnection to a vpn-server.

On ssh "opkg install xl2tpd" answers the following:

***** schnipp *****
Installing xl2tpd (1.3.6-5619e1771048e74b729804e8602f409af0f3faea) to root...
Downloading http://downloads.openwrt.org/chaos_calm … r71xx.ipk.
Multiple packages (kmod-ppp and kmod-ppp) providing same name marked HOLD or PREFER. Using latest.
Multiple packages (kmod-pppox and kmod-pppox) providing same name marked HOLD or PREFER. Using latest.
Multiple packages (kmod-ipv6 and kmod-ipv6) providing same name marked HOLD or PREFER. Using latest.
Collected errors:
* satisfy_dependencies_for: Cannot satisfy the following dependencies for xl2tpd:
*     kernel (= 3.18.20-1-7bed08fa9c06eb8089e82c200340ec66) *     kernel (= 3.18.20-1-7bed08fa9c06eb8089e82c200340ec66) *     kernel (= 3.18.20-1-7bed08fa9c06eb8089e82c200340ec66) *     kernel (= 3.18.20-1-7bed08fa9c06eb8089e82c200340ec66) *
* opkg_install_cmd: Cannot install package xl2tpd.
***** schnapp *****

Would it be OK just to remove the named packages "kmod-ppp", "kmod-pppox", "kmod-ipv6" to be able to install xl2tpd?
Or would I wreck anything on the system?
The router is connected to an internet-router via dhcp, so the is no need for dialin-connection on the openwrt-router. I wont openwrt to open a vpn into the internet and to tunnel wan-request from the lan into the vpn.

tritonmole wrote:

* satisfy_dependencies_for: Cannot satisfy the following dependencies for xl2tpd:

https://wiki.openwrt.org/doc/faq/after. … pendencies

Would it be OK just to remove the named packages "kmod-ppp", "kmod-pppox", "kmod-ipv6" to be able to install xl2tpd?

No.

Thank you for that hint! I will read this and hopefully get the vpn working.

And thank for the quick answer! I was going to uninstall the packages, opkg mentioned.
So your "no" was just in time to stop me! ;-)

OK.
It reads:

You will get the message "Cannot satisfy the following dependencies for…" if you are trying to install packages intended for a trunk build of OpenWrt on a different (older) version. As general advice, especially for inexperienced users: Go for the latest release version, not a trunk version, and the package repositories will match.

But unfortunately there is no release version for the V10 hardware.

I think I will dump open-wrt and work with stock.

But thanks for the help!

P.S.
It was not problem, to flash back to stock-firmware. Did it via web-interface.
So the work on openwrt for this router is great so far!

(Last edited by tritonmole on 19 Nov 2015, 20:22)

You could install that package with --force-depends

Until now I did not take into account, l2tp is not encrypted.

Is there a chance, to get open-vpn working on this router to connect internet via open-vpn?
I need the open-vpn client.

Or at least a way to encrypt l2tp.

I would be very thankful for answers!

(Last edited by tritonmole on 23 Nov 2015, 10:25)

tritonmole wrote:

Until now I did not take into account, l2tp is not encrypted.

Is there a chance, to get open-vpn working on this router to connect internet via open-vpn?
I need the open-vpn client.

Or at least a way to encrypt l2tp.

I would be very thankful for answers!

Yes, you csn. Make a new image with openvpn-openssl

For those who are running a v10 for some weeks, now. Because of the WiFi stability issue is it save to buy a 840n? I think Amazon won't have old batches and ther is a chance it will be a v10.

It plan to configure it as an IP Client with relayd and WLAN AP (as I did already with some 740n, but discontinued). But because the 840n will be bought for a co-worker it needs to be stable so I never see the device again at optimum :-)

(Last edited by micha123 on 24 Nov 2015, 14:11)

micha123 wrote:

For those who are running a v10 for some weeks, now. Because of the WiFi stability issue is it save to buy a 840n? I think Amazon won't have old batches and ther is a chance it will be a v10.

Think, you are talking about wr841n, not 840n.

I was the only one, who complained about wifi stability.
But the last build, I tried from jamest42 worked perfect!
I didn't test the range, but the stability was perfect.

netomx wrote:

Yes, you csn. Make a new image with openvpn-openssl

Thank you for that hint.

I am afraid to make mistales and brick my router, to be honest.
But I will read the howtos and decide, if I will try to build one.

Will openvpn work on that router?
With dd-wrt it is said, a router needed at least 8mb flash to be able to use openvpn.

So I wonder, if openwrt will be able, to use openvpn with only 4mb of flash.

The other question is, will the CPU be fast enough to encrypt/decrypt with my DSL6000 line?
Can anyone guess, how much troughput this router could reach with openvpn?

Sorry for all my question, but I am noob to routers.

(Last edited by tritonmole on 24 Nov 2015, 16:16)

guys i have a problem , i have installed openwrt on my v10 but there isn't space for openvpn, i really need that, how can i do?

samucele wrote:

guys i have a problem , i have installed openwrt on my v10 but there isn't space for openvpn, i really need that, how can i do?

Add it making a new image, using image generator

netomx wrote:
samucele wrote:

can you give the command do to that image?

Do I get it right, that I can run a wr841Nv9-openwrt on my v10 router and everything, except wlan will work perfectly?

I am thinking about using a V9-image with openvpn. I don't need wlan anyway. I would switch it off.
The only purpose of my wr841n is that it has to tunnel my wan-connection over vpn.

I am using another router for wlan.

samucele wrote:
netomx wrote:
samucele wrote:

can you give the command do to that image?

https://wiki.openwrt.org/doc/howto/obta … e.generate

On the PACKAGES section, add: openvpn-openssl

if you don't need luci, remove it:   -luci

Hi all,

I have a TL-WR841N v10 router, which I would require to install OpenWRT with OpenFlow on it. Heard that the trunk version can compile a image for the v10, is that true or not?

Else, what would you suggest I go about compiling OpenWRT with OpenFlow in it?

Thank you.

Got the v10 modell from Amazon Germany. I flashed @jamest42 build and configured it as an IP-Client with relayd and Access Point. Everything is working so far.

But Wifi really seems to be weaker for example compared to my 740n. Both are standing next to each other and I connected to the APs with my Android Tablet from another floor across our entire house. The 841n shows only one sign level, my 740n two, switching sometimes to three sings. This may become a problem, because the place were the co-worker wants to place the 841n shows only one Wifi sign with his mobile. I will see...

Change channel?

Both channel 11.

micha123 wrote:

Both channel 11.

You have to put them on different channels, otherwise you get interferences.

roytam1 wrote:
mcm2000 wrote:

How to go back to Factory Firmware. Unable to revert back to the factory firmware. tried the stripped version as well.

you can always try TFTP method, with filename "wr841nv10_tp_recovery.bin" in your tftp root.

Where can i download the file "wr841nv10_tp_recovery.bin"?

I'm about to flash OpenWRT for the first time, and want to have some "security" in case something goes wrong.

The procedure is something like:

- enter router
- firmware update
- update with "openwrt-15.05-ar71xx-generic-tl-wr841n-v10-squashfs-factory"

Is it something like this?

What about access to the router with OpenWRT... does it have DHCP on? Or any defined IP?

Thanks