OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: Optimized and feature rich trunk build for select routers

The content of this topic has been archived between 20 Aug 2014 and 5 May 2018. Unfortunately there are posts – most likely complete pages – missing.

arokh wrote:

Sorry, I don't have one. They should be router independent though, don't they use multicast? Try playing with igmp snooping. Firewall should not be the problem if you are on the same network as the Chromecast.

And yet when I disable firewall, the browser's extension can see/connect to the chromecast. With the firewall enabled it can't.

carpenoctem wrote:

I had a similar problem with my Chromecast when I updated my build to r46773. The CC just stopped registering to the Wireless SSID. Rolled back and problem went away. My fault was keeping the settings, this week I'll try again restoring a backup config to see how it goes.

I have no problem with the chromecast registering on WiFi -- I can even connect to it with the configuration app no problem, the problem I have is that the extension won't discover the Chromecast device on the network.

coxmobil wrote:

I'm using Chromecast and yes, it's working out of the box.

Thanks, I'll try Arokh's build and see what's different there then.

UPDATE: tried Arokh's build, same problem with the Chromecast. sad

(Last edited by stangri on 15 Sep 2015, 22:05)

arokh,

My router is WNDR3700 (V1), there is a firmware I could download please?

Thanks

yardern

Hi all,

I've seem to have fixed my pppoe disconnection problem. I believe the problem is that it's loosing the default route when, by any reason, pppoe is down,  so when it's up again the original route is replaced and the new one (correct one) is not updated. In order to fix this I made a modification in /etc/config/network:

under "config interface 'wan'" section I added:

option defaultroute '1'

This forces the update of the default route when the wan connection is up again. This seems to have fixed my issue.

Changing the subjetc a bit, I hadn't used the OpenVPN connection in a while, and while setting up some access rules for my Raspberry PI, I got this erros while connecting to the default profile:

Wed Sep 16 12:31:14 2015 daemon.notice openvpn(tcp)[5003]: Options error: --ca fails with '/etc/easy-rsa/keys/ca.crt': No such file or directory
Wed Sep 16 12:31:14 2015 daemon.notice openvpn(udp)[5002]: Options error: --ca fails with '/etc/easy-rsa/keys/ca.crt': No such file or directory
Wed Sep 16 12:31:14 2015 daemon.notice openvpn(tcp)[5003]: Options error: --cert fails with '/etc/easy-rsa/keys/server.crt': No such file or directory
Wed Sep 16 12:31:14 2015 daemon.notice openvpn(udp)[5002]: Options error: --cert fails with '/etc/easy-rsa/keys/server.crt': No such file or directory
Wed Sep 16 12:31:14 2015 daemon.notice openvpn(tcp)[5003]: Options error: --key fails with '/etc/easy-rsa/keys/server.key': No such file or directory
Wed Sep 16 12:31:14 2015 daemon.notice openvpn(udp)[5002]: Options error: --key fails with '/etc/easy-rsa/keys/server.key': No such file or directory
Wed Sep 16 12:31:14 2015 daemon.err openvpn(tcp)[5003]: Options error: Please correct these errors.
Wed Sep 16 12:31:14 2015 daemon.err openvpn(udp)[5002]: Options error: Please correct these errors.
Wed Sep 16 12:31:14 2015 daemon.warn openvpn(tcp)[5003]: Use --help for more information.
Wed Sep 16 12:31:14 2015 daemon.warn openvpn(udp)[5002]: Use --help for more information. 

Seems like the easy-rsa directory just disappeared somehow. Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

New release r46993 building:

- The new LuCI material theme is now default
- Added Pushbullet notifications for IPsec/OpenVPN logins - includes IP address and client/user info (add your API in /etc/config/arokh)

http://i.imgur.com/Dv1Cjth.png

(Last edited by arokh on 17 Sep 2015, 23:11)

Looks like you've been quite busy adding new features to these builds. Once you do your next source release, I'll compile it for my x64 virtualized router.

@arokh, would you consider adding this fix to your next build? I think it solves the issue lots have been having with pppoe reconnection.

Panderine wrote:

Hi all,

I've seem to have fixed my pppoe disconnection problem. I believe the problem is that it's loosing the default route when, by any reason, pppoe is down,  so when it's up again the original route is replaced and the new one (correct one) is not updated. In order to fix this I made a modification in /etc/config/network:

under "config interface 'wan'" section I added:

option defaultroute '1'

This forces the update of the default route when the wan connection is up again. This seems to have fixed my issue.

As arokh suggested, I took his latest source and built image for my TL-WDR4300 based on 3x00. As this router only has 8MB flash, I had to "loose" a few packages. I chose to remove tor, miniupnpd and unfs3. Also, the original image packs default hosts adblock list which makes image 130k larger. Since I spent a few days tuning different settings and reading through all the posts of this thread (yes really) I wanted to make a few suggestions for improvements.

1. netlink: 11 bytes leftover after parsing attributes in process `ip'.
In my logs I noticed this message and found ticket created by a friend of this build @hnyman: https://dev.openwrt.org/ticket/20470
I was able to make the message disappear by disabling building of IP applets (CONFIG_BUSYBOX_CONFIG_IP, CONFIG_BUSYBOX_CONFIG_FEATURE_IP_*) in BusyBox which is anyway not needed since this build includes PACKAGE_ip required by SQM.

The ticket also discovered strange behaviour of $PATH variable changing from "/bin:/sbin:/usr/bin:/usr/sbin" to "/usr/bin:/usr/sbin:/bin:/sbin", which might have much bigger impact on all startup/init scripts and is something you will need to consider in your builds.

2. improved adblock.sh
To further squeeze the build I removed the "bad hosts" list included in the build which shaved off 130k of data. As users need to be able to tune this file due to increasing use of anti-adblock scripts I think it is better to dynamically build the bad hosts list in the /tmp folder (where there is enough space). Below are the changes I made to arokh's adblock.sh script which combines downloading part from his build.sh and creates the file in /tmp/hosts folder instead. The /tmp/hosts folder is being automatically created and configured by /etc/init.d/dnsmasq. As an added bonus you can add a cron job to update this list at a desired frequency.

Drop-in replacement for: /usr/sbin/adblock.sh

#!/bin/sh

# Check your firewall prerouting_rule for correct IP
PIXELSERV_IP="192.168.3.254"

# Domains to exclude from blocking, ie. ads.hulu.com
WHITELIST_DOMAINS="ads.hulu.com cdn.optimizely.com"

# Hosts files will be downloaded from following sources
ADBLOCK_HOSTS="\
  http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.txt \
  http://www.malwaredomainlist.com/hostslist/hosts.txt \
  http://hosts-file.net/.\ad_servers.txt \
  http://sysctl.org/cameleon/hosts.win \
  http://pgl.yoyo.org/as/serverlist.php?hostformat=hosts&showintro=1&mimetype=plaintext \
  http://adaway.org/hosts.txt" 

H_TMP=/tmp/hosts.tmp
H=/tmp/hosts/hosts.bad
DM=/etc/init.d/dnsmasq

download_hosts() {
  rm -f $H_TMP
  for hosts_file in $ADBLOCK_HOSTS; do
    wget -qO- $hosts_file >> $H_TMP
  done

# Explicitly remove following domains from adblock file
  for wd in $WHITELIST_DOMAINS; do 
    sed -i "/$wd/d" $H_TMP
  done

sed -i '/localhost/d;s/^0\.0\.0\.0.//;s/^127\.0\.0\.1.//;s/[[:cntrl:]]$//;s/[[:cntrl:]]$/ /;/^#/d;/^$/d;s/[[:space:]]*#.*$//;s/^ //;s/^  //;s|^|'$PIXELSERV_IP' |' $H_TMP
  rm -f $H
  sort $H_TMP|uniq > $H
  rm -f $H_TMP
}

case "$1" in
  refresh)
    # download latest hosts
    echo "Downloading list of bad hosts"
    download_hosts
  ;;
  enable)
    mkdir -p /tmp/hosts
    #uci -q show dhcp.@dnsmasq[0].addnhosts > /dev/null && exit 0
    [ ! -f $H ] && $0 refresh
    #uci add_list dhcp.@dnsmasq[0].addnhosts='/etc/hosts.block'
    #uci commit
    echo "Adblocking enabled..."
  ;;
  disable)
    [ -f $H ] && rm -f $H
    #uci -q show dhcp.@dnsmasq[0].addnhosts > /dev/null || exit 0
    #uci -q delete dhcp.@dnsmasq[0].addnhosts
    #uci commit
    echo "Adblocking disabled..."
  ;;
  *)
    echo "Usage: $0 [ enable | disable | refresh ]"
    exit 0
  ;;
esac

$DM restart

Thank you again for all the hard work!

@Panderine

That is the default setting.

@carpenoctem

Don't keep settings when upgrading.

@bole5

Tanks for the feedback. Th reason for having the blocklist on flash was to save both flash and memory. In memory might be better on routers with lots of ram.

arokh wrote:

The reason for having the blocklist on flash was to save both flash and memory. In memory might be better on routers with lots of ram.

You're right. I know that everything added to your builds has been well thought through and carefully tested. On my TL-WDR4300 /tmp partition has 61.6 MB wink so there's plenty to spare.

root@OpenWrt ~# df -h
Filesystem                Size      Used Available Use% Mounted on
/dev/root                 6.3M      6.3M         0 100% /rom
tmpfs                    61.6M      3.1M     58.6M   5% /tmp
/dev/mtdblock3          640.0K    300.0K    340.0K  47% /overlay
overlayfs:/overlay      640.0K    300.0K    340.0K  47% /
tmpfs                   512.0K         0    512.0K   0% /dev

I am certain that users will have to resort to whitelisting domains as more and more websites are increasingly using inti-adblock scripts. Editing the hosts.bad file will move it to /overlay which would be impossible on routers with little place left. That happened to me and that is why I had to change the place this file is stored.

arokh wrote:

@Panderine

That is the default setting.

@arokh, thanks! but since I began having this issue, that line wasn't there for me sad.. I'll try the new release, flashing with tftp so I get a clean start again and see what happens.

@arokh, could you please churn out a newer image for 3700 v1 when you get a chance.. trying to upgrade my 3700 v1 (from an very old version of yours) .. asking for it since your builds now have samba.

i see that your 3x00 builds are more upto date, but they seem to support v2 version of 3700.

meanwhile, i plan to install one of your most recent builds r46609 (800mhz) on my 3700 v1..

thanks as always...

cheers

(Last edited by rsriram22 on 20 Sep 2015, 23:18)

@Panderine

It's not there but it's the default so does not need to be specified. This is documented in the wiki.

@rsiram22

Sorry but i don't build for 8mb flash anymore.

@arokh
@Panderine

Since I have this setting (option defaultroute '1' in config interface wan) seems to work with the Internet connection.

Rosi

Could be a bug then, perhaps create a ticket.

I am on r46832 (Archer C7) and I have a weird problem.

When I flashed this firmware, I could crank up 5GHz  power up to 1000mw.

Today when I looked in the webinterface, it was limited to 50mw.

How is that possible? I didn't change region settings (US currently).

EDIT: NVM, I must have changed it to US and forgot that I did. With 00 World everything is back to normal.

(Last edited by w0dash on 22 Sep 2015, 12:04)

My issue persists. I set up my Chromecast on a separate Interface (WIFI_US) in order to access American content. If I am on build r46672, both the Chromecast and the respective Android client not only register on the SSID but can see each other perfectly.

If I update (without preserving configs) to any higher build and try to replicate the same Interface, the Chromecast registers, gets an IP but there's no way the devices can see each other.

Maybe something changed in later builds with the way Interfaces are created?

Either way, any help would be greatly appreciated.

Compare with a snapshot, if the problem is there as well which it probably is then you can track it down through the commit logs. I can't see that any of my mods can cause this.

arokh wrote:

Compare with a snapshot, if the problem is there as well which it probably is then you can track it down through the commit logs. I can't see that any of my mods can cause this.

Yeah, I'll do that this weekend. Either way, I'm thinking I don't really need to separate the interfaces like I used to anymore though.

Thanks for the reply

SlavoF wrote:

2015-07-22 09:59:58 :

SlavoF wrote:

It is a question also for other,
does not use one Oscam or Doscam on OpenWrt?
on the older builds  / < 46356 / runs smoothly, on newer not already running sad

now I have r45950 kernel 3.18.14 and Oscam/Doscam works seamlessly
on 46356 and later not working

@arokh, it would be embedded into the later images/builds driver "vsftpd"?
( like last kmod-ath10k )
that when installed it already functional FTP?

Thanks.

@arokh, 3.18 build for Archer C5 and Archer C7 v2  ? smile
On kernel 4.x some linux binaries do not work , those that need, need uClibc sad
Why get you on 4.x when official build is still on 3.18 ?

Thanks.

If you still have problems with oscam, use my selfcompiled version (with libusb and webinterface support).

http://www28.zippyshare.com/v/ft9aVLNk/file.html

@w0dash, Thank you very much.
That is exactly what is needed to run Oscam on new trunk versions of OpenWrt - Oscam on not uClibc but on musl.

But meanwhile I installed the official version:
• Chaos Calmer 15.05 (r46767)
and it is still on the uClibc and kernel 3.18.20
and here runs the official Oscam compilation without problems, Doscam also.

probably I leave it, but if you choose to update at least, I know to whom should I contact. smile

(Last edited by SlavoF on 24 Sep 2015, 08:17)

@arokh
As I don't have your required hardware, do you mind sharing your configuration files.
I just want to get the idea the apply it to my router too.

Thanks!

Read the first post please.

bmccoy11 wrote:

The maximum TX power must be hardcoded into the firmware. The highest I've gotten it to go is  24dBm on 5Ghz, and 26 on the 2.4Ghz radio.

Hi, can you explain to me how to hardcoded into the firmware to get that power ? I work with mr3020, can I do with it?

@w0dash,
Now I tried r46993 by arokh on one test Archer C7.
Your selfcompiled version of Oscam with musl runs good.

(Last edited by SlavoF on 28 Sep 2015, 14:42)

Sorry, posts 2451 to 2450 are missing from our archive.