OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: Optimized and feature rich trunk build for select routers

The content of this topic has been archived between 20 Aug 2014 and 5 May 2018. Unfortunately there are posts – most likely complete pages – missing.

Sorry, posts 1527 to 1525 are missing from our archive.

@alphasparc

On what hardware? What score with vanilla OpenWRT?

arokh wrote:

@alphasparc

On what hardware? What score with vanilla OpenWRT?

wdr4900v1 openssl benchmark

arokh wrote:

I don't see how that would be a router problem. What is your definition of 100% stable? I had 48 days uptime with 0 issues before upgrading to the latest release.

I as well never expected the router to be causing this but I'm now on a different router and have none of those issues anymore.

Is there a way we can troubleshoot this?

BTW with stable i mean no connection issues, uptime is great 50+ days until i upgraded.

@alphasparc

Impressive indeed, looks like I'll be investigating your patches a bit more smile

@stereohype

Absolutely, you can switch between stock firmware / vanilla openwrt / whatever build and see if you can reproduce all by yourself.

If you suspect the adblocking to be the issue, just turn it off and try without.

(Last edited by arokh on 6 Mar 2015, 16:05)

How to disable adblocking in Luci: go to Network --> DHCP and DNS --> Server Setting, Tab "Resolv and Host Files".
Find "Additional Hosts files", next to it you'll see a box with "/etc/hosts.block". Click on the small icon with the green plus to the right. An empty new entry box will appear. Now click on the icon with the red x next to the box with "/etc/hosts.block".
This deletes the "/etc/hosts.block"-entry.
Finally, press the "Save and Apply"-button at the bottom of the page.
Done.

(Last edited by bouwew on 6 Mar 2015, 18:15)

I'm not using Arokh's full hosts.block file.
Instead I've made a small script, based on Arokh's work, that only downloads the malware-list.

Log-on to the router, via e.g. Putty.
Create a new text-file in the directory /etc. You can use VI, I prefer Nano.
I've named the new text-file malwblock.sh
The code inside looks like this:

# Create new hosts.block file for malware blocking  
rm hosts.block
wget -qO- http://www.malwaredomainlist.com/hostslist/hosts.txt | grep "^127.0.0.1" > /tmp/block.build.list
sed -i 's/127.0.0.1/192.168.3.254/g' /tmp/block.build.list
sed -e 's/\r//g' -e 's/^192.168.3.254[ ]\+/192.168.3.254\t/g' /tmp/block.build.list|sort|uniq > /etc/hosts.block
/etc/init.d/dnsmasq restart

After you have saved the file, issue the command: chmod 755 malwblock.sh
After that, execute it via the command: ./malwblock.sh

You can add a line to the file /etc/crontabs/root to update the blocklist at certain time intervals. Mine looks like this:

00 4 * * 0,3 sh /etc/malwblock.sh

Happy coding smile

(Last edited by bouwew on 7 Mar 2015, 10:16)

@bouwew, that script doesn't work sad

': No such file or directoryk
sed: /tmp/block.build.list: No such file or directory

@bmccoy11, I've updated my post above. I did not realize that the forum automatically puts

[url]...[/url] 

around a web-adress.
This ends up in the script, meaning the URL is not found.
Please try again with the corrected code.

(Last edited by bouwew on 7 Mar 2015, 10:14)

Hi,

I just flashed Arokh's latest r44590 build on my WNDR3700 v1 without keeping the settings. However I can't seem to be able to connect to the router as I don't know the LAN's ip and the DHCP-server seems to be disabled. The ip-address that I get is from my main modemrouter. This is the same as before the firmware upgrade, as I use de WNDR3700 as an access point and had given the LAN interface a static ip in the same subnet.

What are the default settings for this build? Can it be that my previous settings somehow haven't been overwritten completely? I already tried a 'factory reset'

Never mind, I connected a serial cable and found out the LAN's ip was just 192.168.1.1 although I tested it before and then it didn't work (ping/ssh/webserver)

The reason I tried this build is that I hoped I could have access to channels 12/13 and increase the tx power above 50mW (17dbm) as  a result of the included reghack

"- jow reghack automatically installed (country set to 00 for access to all channels)"

Unfortunately I still haven't got access to these channels and still can't increase the Tx power above 17dbm.. The hack is not working for me..

anyone else having issues with archer c7 v2 not seeing the wireless ac card or enabling it?  Feels like im running an over priced wr1043nd v2 cuz no AC.

Trav

arokh wrote:

I'm convinced, next build it'll be turned off by default wink

These are the ad lists I've been using btw:

http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.txt
http://www.malwaredomainlist.com/hostslist/hosts.txt
http://hosts-file.net/.\ad_servers.txt
http://adaway.org/hosts.txt

If anyone decides to do research or quality control on any of these lists I'd be happy to know.

For what it's worth, I only use Peter Lowe's ad blocking list (http://pgl.yoyo.org/as/) and have zero issues with web site connections or display. His list is quite efficient since it only includes top level ad server domains and does not include the countless subdomains which many ad servers utilize. The list can be output in plaintext to DNSmasq, link below:

http://pgl.yoyo.org/as/serverlist.php?h … =plaintext

When the DNS level ad blocking is utilized within the dnsmasq.conf file (in the format above) it will automatically block all subdomains without having to include them, similar to BIND.  As you know, the 'addn-hosts' method of adding additional hosts files requires all subdomains to be included.

I also include from malwaredomains.com their list for BIND but use a bit of regex search and replace for a quick/clean switch to DNSmasq format. Link: http://www.malware-domains.com/files/ma … .zones.zip

@aXion

That's odd, it works on my 3700v1.

@WildByDesign

Seems like a better way to do it indeed, thanks for that. There might still be issues with the yoyo list as well, I don't have any issues with the lists included in my build but others do apparently.

Travis82 wrote:

anyone else having issues with archer c7 v2 not seeing the wireless ac card or enabling it?  Feels like im running an over priced wr1043nd v2 cuz no AC.

Trav

I have a simmilar problem with my C5. If I keep radio0 channel width at 80, then my radio is up as a client, and I cannot see it. If I drop channel width to 40 then I get my 5GHz radio up as master and can see it.

In WiFi settings SSID after flash is the wrong way around, radio0 (5GHz) is as OpenWrt and radio1 (2,4GHz) is as OpenWrt-5G

gooFI wrote:
Travis82 wrote:

Trav

I have a simmilar problem with my C5. If I keep radio0 channel width at 80, then my radio is up as a client, and I cannot see it. If I drop channel width to 40 then I get my 5GHz radio up as master and can see it.

In WiFi settings SSID after flash is the wrong way around, radio0 (5GHz) is as OpenWrt and radio1 (2,4GHz) is as OpenWrt-5G

BINGO

Hi
how do I allow traffic l2tp+ipsec in this firmware (r44590 wndr3700)?

hi all, i flashed my tp-link using http://enduser.subsignal.org/~trondah/w … actory.bin but now none of my forwarded ports works from wan to lan, and not able de get a response from pinging my site from the web. Any idea ? Tks in advance.
Arnaud

@alphasparc

I saw quite a big increase in performance with PPC optimization:

BEFORE | 66907540 | 30881570 | 23097730 | 7670030 | 14313240 | 5313160 | 23200710 | 19525760 | 17624480 | 13.3 | 477.9 47.9 | 38.8 |

AFTER | 70956630 | 81975380 | 38053280 | 21986000 | 14052590 | 5310710 | 16757970 | 14583700 | 13409700 | 18.3 | 654.0 63.3 | 51.0 |

So thanks a lot wink

New builds are coming up with some changes to the adblocking list (WildByDesign's method), which is now disabled by default.

@WildByDesign

As the malwaredomainlist.org list includes subdomains as well, I'm guessing you are shortening them with a regex, mind sharing?

I'm not sure if the yoyo.org list is even updated any more, have any info on that?

(Last edited by arokh on 11 Mar 2015, 13:15)

For what it is worth: thanks for the effort arokh !
Know that your work is highly appreciated.

About Netgear WNDR4300 support, I see 2 different downloads  wndrnand/  and wndrnand_noipv6/. A part from the obvious "noipv6" what is technically removed from that version?. Why a different build for that? Should we be able to disable if not needed?.

Thanks!

kmod-ipv6 and dependencies is removed from that version. You can always install the regular version and disable ipv6 yourself.

Would you build an image for Wr1043nd V2? I would like to see if I could get close to 500mbit wan to lan since it has a simular cpu as the archer c5/7. I have 500mbit up and down fiber and I would love to test it out with openwrt.

On your c7 v2 i was getting about 380-490ish not consistant wan to lan. I'm sure it will get better later on down the road.

Thank you for the builds.

Trav

You could easily build yourself, instructions are in the first post.

arokh wrote:

@alphasparc

I saw quite a big increase in performance with PPC optimization:

BEFORE | 66907540 | 30881570 | 23097730 | 7670030 | 14313240 | 5313160 | 23200710 | 19525760 | 17624480 | 13.3 | 477.9 47.9 | 38.8 |

AFTER | 70956630 | 81975380 | 38053280 | 21986000 | 14052590 | 5310710 | 16757970 | 14583700 | 13409700 | 18.3 | 654.0 63.3 | 51.0 |

So thanks a lot wink

New builds are coming up with some changes to the adblocking list (WildByDesign's method), which is now disabled by default.

@WildByDesign

As the malwaredomainlist.org list includes subdomains as well, I'm guessing you are shortening them with a regex, mind sharing?

I'm not sure if the yoyo.org list is even updated any more, have any info on that?

Wow, this sounds pretty nice! Will flash it this weekend, thanks!

Did a clean flash, but get an fstab error when trying to access the mount points tab and when using Winscp the folder /mnt is emtpy.

EDIT:
When removing exit 0 from the fstab file, it works again.

EDIT2:
Enabled add blocking, worked perfectly fine, but I still have blocked pages when I search for plane tickers in google and go to the advertised links while I want to see them because those are actually the ones I would like to see wink

Everything else is working perfectly fine! OpenVPN works, dropbrute works, extroot works as well (even though it is on kernel 3.18.x seems it got fixed in trunk).

(Last edited by johan81 on 11 Mar 2015, 21:53)

Sorry, posts 1551 to 1550 are missing from our archive.