OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: Update on Linksys WRT1900AC support

The content of this topic has been archived between 16 Sep 2014 and 7 May 2018. Unfortunately there are posts – most likely complete pages – missing.

nullifier wrote:

would someone please tell me what mrfrezee set as the default password on his latest build?! sad
I can't believe someone would do this to another person. I have a nice blue and black brick and no internet at home because I assumed, based on EVERY OTHER openwrt image, there would be no password set.
I did clear settings when I flashed.

It was most likely accidental if it's not noted on his build info page.  If it's not notated, flash a different build until he replies back that new images have been uploaded.

(Last edited by JW0914 on 16 Jul 2016, 01:19)

that is exceedingly difficult to do without the password unless I crack it open and flash it via serial, and my TTL cable is 1900 miles away at my old house...

Villeneuve wrote:

Rcok the power switch 4 times

It's not quite that simple... Firmware Recovery

That got it back to CC. Thanks... and, warning to anyone else who is about to flash that image... uh. Don't.

nullifier wrote:

That got it back to CC. Thanks... and, warning to anyone else who is about to flash that image... uh. Don't.

What router do you have?  I sent MrFrezee an email to give him a heads up, so it's likely the issue will be addressed shortly.

(Last edited by JW0914 on 16 Jul 2016, 01:48)

JW0914 wrote:

Also, should a section on vlan creation be added to the wiki?

no, at most a link to a central document about VLANS how they work, how to create them (I don't know if there is a good page for this somewhere in the wiki or not)

But adding instructions here is putting general instructions in a device specific place, so no.

JW0914 wrote:

What router do you have?

Mamba, and I flashed http://luci.subsignal.org/~trondah/mveb … actory.img which is his June 4th release afaik... nobody else said anything about a password, but there sure as heck was one set.

nullifier wrote:
JW0914 wrote:

What router do you have?

Mamba, and I flashed http://luci.subsignal.org/~trondah/mveb … actory.img which is his June 4th release afaik... nobody else said anything about a password, but there sure as heck was one set.

I apologize, as it's my mistake arokh's link was mistakenly listed under mrfrezee's mamba links (all other links were correct).  I'm not sure how the mistake occurred, regardless it was my mistake, and I've now fixed the two links

(Last edited by JW0914 on 17 Jul 2016, 00:37)

I have not tried his builds but did you try root with a blank password?

Yep, and after unpacking that image I can confirm the shadow does not match for a 'blank' root. This image is linked on the wiki though, so I would ask that the link be taken down until his images are fixed. It seems unlikely that nobody else noticed this in 1.5 months but I digress.

I finished up another round of Wiki edits:

• Numerous minor tweaks to formatting and wording

• Separated WRT1900AC v1 & v2 into own sections under Firmware Images as requested

• Removed device specific bootlog tabs, opting for one Armada XP & one Armada 385 tab

• Made formatting changes to several sections to make them more cohesive and easier to read & follow

(Last edited by JW0914 on 16 Jul 2016, 05:35)

mcfrezee image dosn't have any password.... i have it on my wrt1200ac

(Last edited by moccolo on 16 Jul 2016, 09:05)

nullifier wrote:
JW0914 wrote:

What router do you have?

Are you sure you are not trying to pull Arokh's build? The link given looks like to his site and yes he does set a password or "changeme" without the quotes of course. Just a thought.

--bill

Villeneuve wrote:
JW0914 wrote:

It's not quite that simple...

Yep, it's rock-it science.

It's simple, but not as simple as simply rocking the power switch 4 times.  Router has to be on for ~2s, and power must be cut immediately upon all LEDs turning off, but before they turn back on.

@bill1228  Great catch, I totally missed that last night... I now see where the issue is... the wiki has the wrong link under mrfrezee's mamba link.  It's been fixed

@nullifier I apologize, as that was my mistake

(Last edited by JW0914 on 16 Jul 2016, 21:29)

^^^^ +1   -- Timing has to be just right, and takes some practice.

@JW0914

By the way... You've performed some pretty sweet work on the wiki!

Awesome job! Wow

@davidc502  Thanks! =] 

I'm still quite baffled though how arokh's mamba links ended up under mrfrezee's

@JW0914

Some more observations.

*The buttons (repository links) to the right are so far to the right that they are out of sight when reading the wiki text on a wide screen monitor.

*The columns of the device tables no longer align.

*Each tab in firmware repeats a phrase like "This is the stable branch and is called Chaos Calmer [CC]". Move it out a level or two.

* I thought the synopsis was actually helping digest the section before, though with the new layout in place it lost it's value. Maybe incorporate that little extra info into the boxes.

* Maybe community builds should be renamed to 3rd party firmware, then even Chadsters McDebian would fit the section. At least the sentence "These are built, and maintained, by the stated members" no longer works properly.

* The builds by david and co no longer have a disclaimer, where did it get lost?

* "opkg install kmod-mwlwifi_3.18.20\+10.3.0.14-20151107-1_mvebu.ipk" tells people to downgrade their driver wink. I know copy paste but there is a pitfall nonetheless.

sera wrote:

Some more observations.

The buttons (repository links) to the right are so far to the right that they are out of sight when reading the wiki text on a wide screen monitor.

I was worried about that with users who have larger widescreen monitors.  I've moved all right align buttons into a 55.5em wrap box to maintain spatial alignments (exceptions are buttons that butt up against Table of Contents and the Tag button)

The columns of the device tables no longer align.

These were never aligned as far as I can tell.  I went back in the version history both on the new wiki (Initial Commit, as well as the old WRT1900's [2016.05.10, 2016.01.15]), and they've never been column aligned. 

Shortening the page width to the point scrollbars are added will align the columns.  I did play around with different em wrap values, however due to the fact it butts up against the Table of Contents, there's no way to standardize it's non-scrollbar appearance (or at least no way I've found thus far)

Each tab in firmware repeats a phrase like "This is the stable branch and is called Chaos Calmer [CC]". Move it out a level or two.

I did that intentionally to standardize all firmware boxes.  I initially had tried putting these in the main box above the tab boxes, however it muddled the box and varied the look from one to the next. 

The firmware boxes are one of the very limited uses of redundant information, as the build descriptions are simply the synopsis descriptions copied directly as is, or creatively edited to fit the small space.  It's also why the descriptions within the firmware boxes are utilizing a lo wrap value, since I didn't want it to be in the forefront, but did want it there as a matter of convenience to prevent users from having to scroll back and forth between the Firmware Images boxes and the Firmware Synopsis.

One of my main goals with the wiki is to present as much information as possible within a standardized format, since it makes it easier to disseminate the information contained within, whether you're a veteran user or a new one to OpenWrt.

I thought the synopsis was actually helping digest the section before, though with the new layout in place it lost it's value. Maybe incorporate that little extra info into the boxes.

I personally prefer the Synopsis, as I believe it adds value since it allows a user  [specifically new users to OpenWrt] to see the descriptions of all available builds at a glance, allowing them to weigh the pros and cons of each, thereby allowing an informed decision of what will work best for them to be made.

Maybe community builds should be renamed to 3rd party firmware, then even Chadsters McDebian would fit the section.

I thought that as well, as once LEDE was added, community builds no longer applied.  Great suggestion on "Third Party", and all Community Build references and links have been updated to "Third Party Builds". 

(Re-reading I see you utilized "firmware" instead of "builds", would firmware be a better word to utilize?)

The builds by david and co no longer have a disclaimer, where did it get lost?

As far as I can tell, these never had disclaimers.  I went back in the version history of both pages on this is well, worried that I may have accidentally deleted information that should have been included., however I couldn't find any version that had a disclaimer for member builds.

I can add a warning wrap (orange highlighting on Trunk build boxes, directly above the tabs) if you believe this should be specified.  If you could also add a suggestion for a disclaimer, I'd appreciate it, as I'm worried the disclaimer under the two Trunk sections ("Should not be considered stable") will detract users from utilizing member builds.

"opkg install kmod-mwlwifi_3.18.20\+10.3.0.14-20151107-1_mvebu.ipk" tells people to downgrade their driver wink. I know copy paste but there is a pitfall nonetheless.

Those instructions were pulled directly from NemoAlex's GitHub instructions, I simply copied & pasted, and merged all separate commands into one sequential command for convenience.

I never thought to check his repo, as I assumed they would update the readme when new versions were added.  I'll be updating the version as soon as I submit this

Also, do you know what the vlan ID of WAN and LAN are?  It was requested I add this to Switch Layouts, however I'm not sure if my guess is correct or not (0 for WAN, 1 for LAN)

(Last edited by JW0914 on 17 Jul 2016, 18:12)

davidc502 wrote:

@JW0914

Awesome job! Wow

I agree with davidc502, great job. Really easy to look around and get good info.

@davidc502
Just installed your latest, 7/16, on my WRT1900AC V1. Looks good so far. No issues for me, just works.
Thanks again for making your builds available for us non-compile folks.

Do have a Mint Linux running so should try my hand at a compile and see how it goes. Know I would run into issues, but have done other non-Openwrt compiles before, but been several years now of no compiles.  Just need to start reading and playing I guess.

--bill

bill1228 wrote:
davidc502 wrote:

@JW0914

Awesome job! Wow

I agree with davidc502, great job. Really easy to look around and get good info.

Do have a Mint Linux running so should try my hand at a compile and see how it goes. Know I would run into issues, but have done other non-Openwrt compiles before, but been several years now of no compiles.  Just need to start reading and playing I guess.

Thanks! =]

As far as compiling goes, it's super easy, with the most difficult part being matching the required build prerequisite packages to your distro (see Install Build System).  Once the Build System is installed, see Build System Usage

(Last edited by JW0914 on 17 Jul 2016, 17:53)

JW0914 wrote:

The columns of the device tables no longer align.

These were never aligned as far as I can tell.  I went back in the version history both on the new wiki (Initial Commit, as well as the old WRT1900's [2016.05.10, 2016.01.15]), and they've never been column aligned.

Just picked a revision before you stretched it to full width. Right, it wasn't pixel perfect, but gave the impression because only the last column was actually of different width.

Why not merge the tables? I don't see us loosing anything.

JW0914 wrote:

Each tab in firmware repeats a phrase like "This is the stable branch and is called Chaos Calmer [CC]". Move it out a level or two.

I did that intentionally to standardize all firmware boxes.  I initially had tried putting these in the main box above the tab boxes, however it muddled the box and varied the look from one to the next.

In other words you just have to figure out how wink

JW0914 wrote:

One of my main goals with the wiki is to present as much information as possible within a standardized format, since it makes it easier to disseminate the information contained within, whether you're a veteran user or a new one to OpenWrt.

The sections are of very different nature, forcing an uniform format requires a lot of compromises which hurt understandability. Consistency within a section certainly something to aim for.

JW0914 wrote:

I thought the synopsis was actually helping digest the section before, though with the new layout in place it lost it's value. Maybe incorporate that little extra info into the boxes.

I personally prefer the Synopsis, as I believe it adds value since it allows a user  [specifically new users to OpenWrt] to see the descriptions of all available builds at a glance, allowing them to weigh the pros and cons of each, thereby allowing an informed decision of what will work best for them to be made.

Currently it's a copy of the table of contents, accentuated with bogus info that wouldn't be enough to make a decision anyway. The patches david and mrfrezee apparently add are already part of their sources now.

JW0914 wrote:

The builds by david and co no longer have a disclaimer, where did it get lost?

As far as I can tell, these never had disclaimers.  I went back in the version history of both pages on this is well, worried that I may have accidentally deleted information that should have been included., however I couldn't find any version that had a disclaimer for member builds.

I can add a warning wrap (orange highlighting on Trunk build boxes, directly above the tabs) if you believe this should be specified.

I thought you quoted the wiki for nullifier before, but haven't seen it when skimming the wiki earlier today.

sera wrote:

Why not merge the tables? I don't see us loosing anything.

While I see the appeal of merging the hardware tables, that may do more harm than good.  The hardware tables are pulled directly from OpenWrt's Table of Hardware's Hardware Data pages. 

Hardware Table Wiki Code

<WRAP lo>
---- datatable ----
cols    : Model, Versions, Supported Since Rev_url, Supported Since Rel, Platform, CPU MHz, Flash MB, RAM MB, Switch, Power Supply, Device Techdata_pageid, Comments_
align   : c,c,c,c,c,c,c,c,c,c,c,c,c
filter  : Model=WRT1200AC
----
</WRAP>
  • In all Hardware Data Tables, the second to last column is Device Techdata which contains the link to each data table's ToH Hardware Data page for full viewing, as only certain specific information is included in the wiki table.

In order to merge the data, I would have to utilize regular tables (see below), which would mean an individual would have to know exactly where to look for the Hardware Data, as it's not easy to find for those not familiar with OpenWrt's Wiki site.

Regular Table Example
(Switch & Flash Storage)

<WRAP 65em lo>
|     @#E6E6E6:<color #508CAA>**WRT1200AC v1**</color>   /   <color #508CAA>**WRT1900AC v2**</color>   /   <color #508CAA>**WRT1900ACS v1**</color>  |||||||||
^  <color #508CAA>sw.port</color>  ^  <color #508CAA>0</color>  ^  <color #508CAA>1</color>  ^  <color #508CAA>2</color>  ^  <color #508CAA>3</color>  ^  <color #508CAA>4</color>  ^  <color #508CAA>5</color>  ^  <color #508CAA>6</color>  ^  <color #508CAA>vlan ID</color>  ^
^  <color #508CAA>LAN</color>  |  @#7D7D7D:<color #96B900>4</color>  |  @#7D7D7D:<color #96B900>3</color>  |  @#7D7D7D:<color #96B900>2</color>  |  @#7D7D7D:<color #96B900>1</color>  |  @#DCDCDC:--  |  @#DCDCDC:--  |  @#7D7D7D:<color #96B900>eth1</color>  |  @#7d7d7d:<color #96B900>1</color>    |
^  <color #508CAA>WAN</color>  |  @#DCDCDC:--  |  @#DCDCDC:--  |  @#DCDCDC:--  |  @#DCDCDC:--  |  @#969696:<color #960000>Internet</color>  |  @#969696:<color #960000>eth0</color>  |  @#DCDCDC:--  |  @#969696:<color #960000>0</color>  |
<wrap indent><color #646464>**eth0/eth1:** //physical// PCB connection (//not directly exposed//)</color></wrap>
</WRAP>

OR

<WRAP 65em lo>
^  <color #508CAA>WRT1X00AC/S Series</color>  ^^^^^^^^^^
^  <color #508CAA>Layer0</color>  |  //raw flash//\\ 128 MiB  |||||||||
^  <color #508CAA>Layer1</color>  |  **mtd0**\\ ''u-boot''\\ 1 MiB  |  **mtd1**\\ ''u_env''\\ 256 KiB  |  **mtd2**\\ ''s_env''\\ 256 KiB  |  **mtd3**\\ ''devinfo''\\ 1 MiB  |  //firmware//\\ 80 MiB  ||||  **mtd8**\\ ''syscfg''\\ 38 MiB  |
^  <color #508CAA>Layer2</color>  |:::|:::|:::|:::|  **mtd4**\\ ''kernel1''\\ 40 MiB  ||  **mtd6**\\ ''kernel2''\\ 40 MiB  ||:::|
^  <color #508CAA>Layer3</color>  |:::|:::|:::|:::|  //primary//\\ //kernel image//\\ 3 MiB  |  **mtd5**\\ ''rootfs1 (ubi)''\\ 37 MiB  |  //alternate//\\ //kernel image//\\ 3 MiB  |  **mtd7**\\ ''rootfs2 (ubi)''\\ 37 MiB  |:::|
<wrap indent><color red>If booting from primary partition, **mtd5** will be named ''ubi''; whereas **mtd7** will be named ''ubi'' if booting from alternate partition</color></wrap>\\
<wrap indent>//italics  //  - title for the section of flash storage</wrap>
<wrap indent>**bold     **  - ''mtd'' device name for the partition</wrap>
<wrap indent>''monospace''  - name of the ''mtd'' partition</wrap>
</WRAP>

In other words you just have to figure out how

The Table of Contents' DokuWiki plugin script automatically applies wrap values for anything to the left of it.  On top of those wrap values, you have secondary wrap values that are applied when a webpage reaches a certain size (smaller or larger), both of which are not editable since they reside as part of plugin packages on OpenWrt's servers. 

Applying wrap size values for content spanning to the edge of ToC will result in one of two things: either the content will appear fine when maximized, but not on anything less than maximized, or vice versa.  This is due to the user applied wrap values applying not to the actual page width, but to the page width that's already been modified by the ToC plugin script, combined with the wrap values applied by the script that regulates content layout depending on window size. 

In other words, the user applied wrap value is the third one to apply

• 1st Wrap applied by ToC plugin - applies to whole page width, regardless of Window size

• 2nd Wrap applied by the Window Sizing script - applied to the wrap performed by the ToC plugin

• 3rd Wrap applied by the user via wiki - applied to the Window Sizing wrap, of which was applied to the ToC Wrap

Visualization

<WRAP>
  ToC Plugin Wrap

<WRAP lo>
      Window Sizing Wrap

<WRAP 65em>
          Wiki Wrap

</WRAP>

</WRAP>

</WRAP>

Currently it's a copy of the table of contents, accentuated with bogus info that wouldn't be enough to make a decision anyway. The patches david and mrfrezee apparently add are already part of their sources now.

The info for 3rd party builds is pulled directly from each build's build info site, nor is the section a copy of the ToC.  The interwiki links go to the correct area of the wiki for build download, to allow users interested in a specific build the convenience of simply clicking a link, rather than having to hunt down through the wiki to find the build they're looking for.

I thought you quoted the wiki for nullifier before, but haven't seen it when skimming the wiki earlier today.

That disclaimer was directly from mrfrezee's Build Info page.  I take the position if one is flashing a 3rd party build, they need to be reviewing the Build Info pages for those builds prior to flashing.  3rd party builds simply have far too much build information to be included within the wiki, which was the whole point of linking to the Build Info pages themselves.

I removed that specific reply to nullifier because even though a point should have been made about the attitude, I was to blame for the issue as somehow mrfrezee's mamba links were replaced by links to arokh's (with all other image links correct)

(Last edited by JW0914 on 17 Jul 2016, 21:11)

@davidc502

Flashed your July 16 image on my "v2". Threw some adblocking on it(not the one in the pkgs).
It is working extremely well. Better then "dd", or anything else.

Thanks for making your build available!

Ps:  Passed "the family" test too, and that's tough !

mojolacerator wrote:

@davidc502

Ps:  Passed "the family" test too, and that's tough !

^^ That's funny ^^   

Best Regards,

David

Sorry, posts 12501 to 12500 are missing from our archive.