OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: Update on Linksys WRT1900AC support

The content of this topic has been archived between 16 Sep 2014 and 7 May 2018. Unfortunately there are posts – most likely complete pages – missing.

dlang wrote:

I don't understand what you mean by "wlan0 wlan1"

Thats what 2.4ghz/5ghz wifi is on, it's being covered by etho right now.

So I what wifi on 192.168.2.1

see here
http://www.gypsy-designs.com/01.jpg

(Last edited by gufus on 21 Aug 2015, 05:39)

gufus wrote:
dlang wrote:

see here

Ok, that doesn't require making any changes to vlan/switch settings.

If you go to the interfaces tab and look at the LAN interface, you will see that it has a bridge defined that includes eth0 wlan0 and wlan1, just uncheck the wlan0 and wlan1 checkboxes and they will no longer be part of LAN. (on that tab you show in your screenshop)

Then you need to define a new interface (call it wireless, or have a separate one or 2.4 and 5G, which has many advantages). If you do separate interfaces for each, just check the one radio. If you want them both on the same interface, check the box that says to make a bridge and then you can select both radios.

you then do the sameIP/dhcp/firewall steps mentioned earlier

@Kaloz

I see the driver has now been rolled back for CC.

Can you confirm:

1) if it (now) contains the newer (Jul 27) .bin file?

2) if the excessive debug code has been removed

Thanks.

DavidMcWRT wrote:

@Kaloz

I see the driver has now been rolled back for CC.

Can you confirm:

1) if it (now) contains the newer (Jul 27) .bin file?

2) if the excessive debug code has been removed

Thanks.

Yes for both.

nyt wrote:
gufus wrote:
Kaloz wrote:

So it seems some chipsets are having issues. Because CC is almost done, I would like to ask everyone (specially with older devices) to give a shot to these images and report back within a day, so we cna decide which driver to go with.

I don't have a MBP or any iPhone(s) on iOS 8.4.1, or iPad(s) on iOS 9 Public

Clients here

WRT54GL dd-wrt r21676
DIR-615-E  dd-wrt r14896
Realtek RTL8188CE Wireless LAN 802.11n PCI-E NIC
Asus USB-AC53 Dual-Band Wireless-AC1200 USB Adapter (5ghz) very good performance

RC3 wifi f/w

root@AC1900M:~# ls -l /lib/firmware/mwlwifi/88W8864.bin
-rwxr-xr-x    1 root     root        116208 Jun 22 05:23 /lib/firmware/mwlwifi/88W8864.bin
root@AC1900M:~#

https://github.com/kaloz/mwlwifi/commit … 0eff2b27c9

Work here

https://github.com/kaloz/mwlwifi/commit … 0653b5ae58 is the trouble version.  need to test that.  Kaloz posted builds using it.

I don't know if you need information about this but I install yesterday, and I have 2 freezes already. everything works good but the freezes are a little bit annoying.

northbound wrote:
gaga wrote:
northbound wrote:

Yep I agree it is broke. I wish I understood this better I think the problem is in this area. /overlay/upper/usr/lib/lua/luci/statistics/rrdtool/definitions
also in /usr/lib/lua/luci/statistics/rrdtool/definitions
also here /usr/lib/lua/luci/controller/luci_statistics

Raised a ticket on github. Answer: Message is normal and mod-sensors/thermal is not supported in GUI.  -_-

That figures I have spent a quite a few hrs. trying. Thanks for the info

I have managed to get it working. Send me a PM so I can send you the files and guide you on how to do it.

i.trankolov wrote:
northbound wrote:
gaga wrote:

Raised a ticket on github. Answer: Message is normal and mod-sensors/thermal is not supported in GUI.  -_-

That figures I have spent a quite a few hrs. trying. Thanks for the info

I have managed to get it working. Send me a PM so I can send you the files and guide you on how to do it.

I do not believe this site supports PM's but I am interested in your solution.

dlang wrote:
gufus wrote:
dlang wrote:

see here

If you go to the interfaces tab and look at the LAN interface, you will see that it has a bridge defined that includes eth0 wlan0 and wlan1, just uncheck the wlan0 and wlan1 checkboxes and they will no longer be part of LAN. (on that tab you show in your screenshop)

Then you need to define a new interface (call it wireless, or have a separate one or 2.4 and 5G, which has many advantages). If you do separate interfaces for each, just check the one radio. If you want them both on the same interface, check the box that says to make a bridge and then you can select both radios.

Try'ed that already, bridge to either eth0/eth1 don't work.

Not with a ip of 192.168.2.1 and I know how to set interface/dhcp/firewall stuff.

Thats why maybe a vlan.?

LogicoZone wrote:
davidc502 wrote:

Of course since I've started logging system and kernel logs, there haven't been any lock-ups.

Maybe you can give me instruction on how to setup the logging. I've been suffered lockup past week and almost every day or half day.

I tried different wifi driver from 06/18 or 07/27 and didn't make any difference. I'm suspecting it's due to my iPhone 5s and I temporarily removed it from my environment and we'll see.

The only two new wifi devices added last month were iPhone 5s and Surface Pro 3.

There are 3 parts to logging both system and kernel. The following assumes you plan to log to USB stick.

1. Setup rc.local
2. Create script to log system logs -- In the /root directory
3. Edit Crontab to log kernel logs

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1. Set up rc.local  -- This is going to point to a script that will start logging every time the router reboots.

Put the following line into rc.local and save.
/root/logging.sh

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2. Create the script  logging.sh  in the /root directory
Just put the following script into the root directory and make sure it is executable. If you've never mounted USB, be sure to create the usb directory in /mnt directory before running this script.

#!/bin/sh
#Logging Script
#Setup script to auto mount USB.
ping 192.168.1.1 -c 6
mount /dev/sda /mnt/usb

# Start the log over fresh after a reboot.
cp /mnt/usb/firewallLog.log /mnt/usb/firewallLog.old
> /mnt/usb/firewallLog.log

# Lastly re-direct logging to usb stick
logread -f >> /mnt/usb/firewallLog.log &

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

3. Kernel Logs

Edit crontab with the following command --  #crontab -e

Add the following lines into crontab and save. This assumes usb is already mounted! This will wright every 15 seconds to usb

* * * * * /bin/dmesg -c >> /mnt/usb/dmesg.log
* * * * * sleep 15 ; /bin/dmesg -c >> /mnt/usb/dmesg.log
* * * * * sleep 30 ; /bin/dmesg -c >> /mnt/usb/dmesg.log
* * * * * sleep 45 ; /bin/dmesg -c >> /mnt/usb/dmesg.log

(Last edited by davidc502 on 21 Aug 2015, 20:18)

northbound wrote:
zmon wrote:
northbound wrote:

I use this thanks to gufus's time and effort and it works fine. I think the factory defaults are on the high side and believe heat is the enemy of electronics. I am also running same version of trunk as you. Seems like a good build so far.

https://forum.openwrt.org/viewtopic.php … 45#p287645

Might need a bit help, I'm not entirely sure how to add those scripts, lolz, new to the whole router firmware thing.

If you are running windows get winscp. Then go into the dirs mentioned right click and do new file and name it and paste in the script then save, then right click on the saved file and go to properties make executable by tagging the x's
if you need more help just ask I am not the greatest teacher smile

Ohhhhh, via SCP! I feel like an idiot, lolz. Only issue now is it spits this out:

root@WRT1900AC:~# /etc/init.d/fan_control start
'bin/sh: can't open '/etc/rc.common

(Last edited by zmon on 21 Aug 2015, 20:51)

zmon wrote:
northbound wrote:
zmon wrote:

Might need a bit help, I'm not entirely sure how to add those scripts, lolz, new to the whole router firmware thing.

If you are running windows get winscp. Then go into the dirs mentioned right click and do new file and name it and paste in the script then save, then right click on the saved file and go to properties make executable by tagging the x's

Ohhhhh, via SCP! I feel like an idiot, lolz. Only issue now is it spits this out:

Type this on the command line

find / -name rc.common

What does it say?

(Last edited by gufus on 21 Aug 2015, 21:25)

zmon wrote:
northbound wrote:
zmon wrote:

After you did the above did you reboot? Gufus wrote it I would listen to him. Strange error you have you could look for it in winscp also. If it does not exist in /etc you can copy the one from /rom/etc but I am curious as to where it went I am on the same version of trunk as you??

(Last edited by northbound on 21 Aug 2015, 22:05)

northbound wrote:
zmon wrote:
northbound wrote:

After you did the above did you reboot? Gufus wrote it I would listen to him. Strange error you have you could look for it in winscp also.

should say

/$ find / -name rc.common
/etc/rc.common
/rom/etc/rc.common

gufus wrote:

find / -name rc.common

What does it say?

root@WRT1900AC:~# find / -name rc.common
/etc/rc.common
/overlay/upper/etc/rc.common
/rom/etc/rc.common

Restarted the modem after adding them, gave them execute permissions. Even tried flashing the latest trunk again. Can't imagine what else I'm missing here. The rc.common files aren't missing anything, and they all have execute permission... If it matters at all, using notepad++ to make the files.

I went through the thread and found someone else with the same problem although it seems at the time it was recommended to just use Kaloz's build that had fan control built in.

(Last edited by zmon on 22 Aug 2015, 03:12)

zmon wrote:
gufus wrote:

find / -name rc.common

What does it say?

root@WRT1900AC:~# find / -name rc.common
/etc/rc.common
/overlay/upper/etc/rc.common
/rom/etc/rc.common

Restarted the modem after adding them, gave them execute permissions. Even tried flashing the latest trunk again. Can't imagine what else I'm missing here. The rc.common files aren't missing anything, and they all have execute permission... If it matters at all, using notepad++ to make the files.

I went through the thread and found someone else with the same problem. Seems at the time it was recommended to just use Kaloz's build that had it built in.

I am running OpenWrt Chaos Calmer r46687 / LuCI (git-15.230.57168-2a77918)
And it works here, here is a link to the files I use. you might want to verify your error by copying /rom/etc/rc.common to /etc/rc.common.

Put these in the right dirs. and make executable then reboot.

(Last edited by northbound on 22 Aug 2015, 17:25)

northbound wrote:

And it works here, here is a link to the files I use. you might want to verify your error by copying /rom/etc/rc.common to /etc/rc.common.

https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=E … =folder%2c

Now it's working... Interesting, I did try moving the rom folder copy of the rc.common before, and I swear it didn't get me anywhere. Only thing that sticks out to me with the files is yours were encoded in plain old UTF-8, while Notepad++ said mine were on UTF-8 no BOM... Oh well, at least it works now. Thanks, I appreciate the help!

zmon wrote:
northbound wrote:

Now it's working... Interesting, I did try moving the rom folder copy of the rc.common before, and I swear it didn't get me anywhere. Only thing that sticks out to me with the files is yours were encoded in plain old UTF-8, while Notepad++ said mine were on UTF-8 no BOM... Oh well, at least it works now. Thanks, I appreciate the help!

You are welcome. The next buildbot trunk ver. in about 2 hrs.

Latest trunk r46705 has the 10.3.0.8 driver may as well try it as I have no fruity devices smile

I'm on trunk r46687 (mwlwifi 3.18.20+10.3.0.8-20150818-1) on a WRT1200AC, and I'm not experiencing any issues with fruity devices or dropouts so far.  I'm about to read back through the thread, but what is the reported issue with Apple devices on this driver version?

zmon wrote:
northbound wrote:

I've seen the same error msg before too, I think it's a bug in BusyBox v1.23.2

The error msg comes's and go's away at will.

(Last edited by gufus on 22 Aug 2015, 20:42)

fecaleagle wrote:

I'm on trunk r46687 (mwlwifi 3.18.20+10.3.0.8-20150818-1) on a WRT1200AC, and I'm not experiencing any issues with fruity devices or dropouts so far.  I'm about to read back through the thread, but what is the reported issue with Apple devices on this driver version?

trunk r46687

see line 20 the commit code
https://dev.openwrt.org/browser/trunk/p … =46687#L20

It's this f/w same commit code
https://github.com/kaloz/mwlwifi/commit … b176f39239

r46705 was not a good build it broke gufus's fan script and seemed to use too much cpu. Also noticed something new in
startup, "linksys_recovery" so I am back to r46687 which ran stable for a few days before I tried r46705.
A handy command "fw_printenv boot_part"
"fw_setenv boot_part 2" That is if you are on 1 and want to revert to previous firmware.

northbound wrote:

r46705 was not a good build it broke gufus's fan script and seemed to use too much cpu. Also noticed something new in
startup, "linksys_recovery" so I am back to r46687 which ran stable for a few days before I tried r46705.
A handy command "fw_printenv boot_part"
"fw_setenv boot_part 2" That is if you are on 1 and want to revert to previous firmware.

You're also forgetting to change bootcmd, otherwise you'll boot the wrong kernel.  If you're booting partition 1, it should boot nandboot, partition 2 should be altnandboot or whatever it is.

The linksys recovery script is what's needed to reset the boot counter so it doesn't perform auto recovery when it shouldn't.

There haven't been any changes that would break the fan script.

The linksys recovery script also enables auto recovery now, so power on, wait 5 seconds, power off (3 times) it will change to the previous partition.

If you're running trunk, 46687 is a not so friendly commit, as you'll need to adjust the hash for mwlwifi to run 10.3.0.3 instead of .8

It's possible your bootcmd and boot_part were out of sync, and loaded an old kernel causing your issue.  Make sure to build target/linux/clean if you compile the latest trunk as there are kernel changes that are necessary for system changes that went into place, regarding using the same mac on multiple interfaces.

I'm also currently testing the armada thermal throttling support, not seeing any issues with it yet.

(Last edited by nyt on 23 Aug 2015, 05:01)

gufus wrote:
dlang wrote:
gufus wrote:

see here

Try'ed that already, bridge to either eth0/eth1 don't work.

Not with a ip of 192.168.2.1 and I know how to set interface/dhcp/firewall stuff.

Thats why maybe a vlan.?

no, not a bridge to eth0/eth1 a separate bridge

a vlan won't help you. All that a VLAN does is to split a wired connection into multiple networks. you are trying to make a new network for the wireless interfaces, right?