OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: Update on Linksys WRT1900AC support

The content of this topic has been archived between 16 Sep 2014 and 7 May 2018. Unfortunately there are posts – most likely complete pages – missing.

I'm really curious why the firmware for the Caiman and Cobra are almost double in size compared to the WRT1900ac..

jamvanderham wrote:

Can any one confirm if a standard USB to TTL cable will work to recover this router? the reason I ask is that the Wiki mentions that the pin size is slightly different?

To want to make sure I buy the right thing to rescue my router.

Thanks

I use http://www.dx.com/p/usb-to-uart-5-pin-c … 2rMl61dWyc

Just joined to forum to thank everyone who has been working on this openwrt for the 1900AC!
Yesterday i installed the official CC snapshot (r45557), installed luci and samba, everything went smoothly. However, i use a USB3 drive and is experiencing slow file transfers (~30-50 MBit/s) when going from lan->usb but wireless->usb seems to be quicker.
Also the package luci-app-statistics doesn't seem to receive any data.
Keep up the good work!

Pythe1337N wrote:

Just restart the "collectd" and "luci-statistics" modules. Sometimes collectd gets frozen.

hnyman wrote:
Pythe1337N wrote:

Just restart the "collectd" and "luci-statistics" modules. Sometimes collectd gets frozen.

Thanks! Seems to work fine now.

Nihilanth wrote:

I'm really curious why the firmware for the Caiman and Cobra are almost double in size compared to the WRT1900ac..

Because the factory kernel partition size has increased and I didn't feel like changing it yet.

Kaloz wrote:
Nihilanth wrote:

Because the factory kernel partition size has increased and I didn't feel like changing it yet.

Cheers for the info mate!

I do not understand as much as possible in the new assembly to make new and old broken ?! in r45568 (3.18) not work xl2tpd.working or not openvpn in Luсi? or discuss here only the firmware from kaloz ?!

(Last edited by Armik on 23 Apr 2015, 13:59)

@Kaloz
I flashed your  firmware  and then i cannot enable the 5GHz wifi...

it always read :
"Marvell 88W8864 802.11nac (radio1)
SSID: OpenWrt_5.2GHz | Mode: Client
Wireless is disabled or not associated   "

lksltjw wrote:

@Kaloz
I flashed your  firmware  and then i cannot enable the 5GHz wifi...

it always read :
"Marvell 88W8864 802.11nac (radio1)
SSID: OpenWrt_5.2GHz | Mode: Client
Wireless is disabled or not associated   "

That is my exact problem and I have found no work around yet to get it to turn on, trying every possible combination of settings.

@those with 5GHz issues

It will report it as not associated unless there is something connected to it.

nitroshift

The easiest way to actually see if it's up or not is take another computer and check if it can see the AP or install an app on your phone that displays the whole frequency spectrum.

Examples are for Android:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta … ifiscanner (Wifi Overview 360)
https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta … i.analyzer (Wifi Analyzer)

I am not affiliated with them in any way.

The second one is easier to use and looks better in my opinion where the first is better at actually displaying the whole spectrum. Sometimes the second one refuses to show channels on 5GHz that are above 48 which is sad as I run my WRT1900AC at channel 108 using 80MHz and DFS. (With a DFS-patch obviously).

EDIT: Note that if you run the same SSID on both and check from a computer, most default tools won't show which band it's on, taht's why I just take my cellphone out when I want to check frequencies.

The bonus is that those apps will show you where there are good holes for you to run your wireless on.

// Stefan

(Last edited by stesmi on 23 Apr 2015, 18:58)

I realize this thread is huge and there is a ton of info here (slowly trying to read it all) but can someone tell me whether we have an open source copy of the wireless driver?  I want to purchase this but I don't want to be limited to a binary driver.

This site:

http://www.wegotserved.com/2015/04/23/l … etworkers/

seems to indicate that there is an open source driver.

(Last edited by Comitizer on 23 Apr 2015, 21:33)

Comitizer wrote:

I realize this thread is huge and there is a ton of info here (slowly trying to read it all) but can someone tell me whether we have an open source copy of the wireless driver?  I want to purchase this but I don't want to be limited to a binary driver.

This site:

I can confirm there is indeed an open source driver and that marvell is doing work on it, not only one codedrop that lead to nothing.

// Stefan

stesmi wrote:
Comitizer wrote:

This site:

I can confirm there is indeed an open source driver and that marvell is doing work on it, not only one codedrop that lead to nothing.

// Stefan

Ok, because I thought that originally they were only going to provide the binary driver.  If there's an open source version to then that's good news.  How is the overall experience with the router?  Does this driver support beam forming and full speed, etc?

nitroshift wrote:

@those with 5GHz issues

It will report it as not associated unless there is something connected to it.

nitroshift

I am going to repeat this for like the 3rd time, I have 5GHZ AC Clients even my Galaxy S6 and S5 have it,I have a PC with an wireless AC adapter, and a second WRT1900AC in wireless bridge mode on the AC side, with the current build my 5Ghz radio will not turn on sat all, it shows as not associated or disabled, it does not come on to even check for a client period. I have tried every possible combination of settings and will not emit a signal at all.

restart the network + wifi

(Last edited by gufus on 23 Apr 2015, 23:29)

I'm trying to upgrade to the latest snapshot that kaloz put up through the normal method I usually do (flash to factory linksys firmware and then flash back to openwrt.  Some reason though when I'm flashing back, its retaining settings from the previous version of openwrt.  Its also showing 4 different radios and I can't get anything to work.

Any suggestions on how to get it so its a fresh install and not retaining anything?

l3333 wrote:
camrxr wrote:

I'm trying to upgrade to the latest snapshot that kaloz put up through the normal method I usually do (flash to factory linksys firmware and then flash back to openwrt.  Some reason though when I'm flashing back, its retaining settings from the previous version of openwrt.  Its also showing 4 different radios and I can't get anything to work.

Any suggestions on how to get it so its a fresh install and not retaining anything?

Did you uncheck 'keep settings' when flashing to stock Linksys?
Did you use openwrt_wrt1900ac_snapshot.img to get back to Openwrt?

You may try just to press and hold reset button under Openwrt to default settings.

Kaloz's latest image is kernel 3.18.11

If you have 4 radios this is probably because your previous settings are from kernel 4.0. Edit /etc/config/wireless file and delete radios 2 and 3 but also delete word 'platform' in radio 0 and 1 paths.

It should look
config wifi-device 'radio0'
    option path 'soc/soc:pcie-controller/pci0000:00/0000:00:02.0/0000:02:00.0'

That did the trick, thanks for the help.

Kaloz wrote:

For those who were waiting for it, I've uploaded new snapshot builds for both the WRT1900AC (Mamba) and the WRT1200AC (Caiman) to https://downloads.openwrt.org/people/kaloz/

Hi Kaloz. I've just update to this build using LuCi gui and it got bricked! can't access the router anyway. Any ideas on how can i get it back without a serial tty?
If there isn't any other way, I can get a serial access... but I rather not.

Thanks in advanced!
Julián

l3333 wrote:

@W4LNY

W4LNY wrote:

I am going to repeat this for like the 3rd time, I have 5GHZ AC Clients even my Galaxy S6 and S5 have it,I have a PC with an wireless AC adapter, and a second WRT1900AC in wireless bridge mode on the AC side, with the current build my 5Ghz radio will not turn on sat all, it shows as not associated or disabled, it does not come on to even check for a client period. I have tried every possible combination of settings and will not emit a signal at all.

Is your 5GHz in Access Point mode? If it is in Client mode it won't go up. Also choosing channel 'auto' may be the reason. Try to  choose the following settings:

Operating frequency
Mode: AC
Channel: 44
Width: 80

Interface configuration
Access point

Save and apply.

At first this did not work, but than I flashed back to factory and than to the new build today #463 and set it up above and it worked, I did test other channels and the 160 width none of which would work, 5Ghz seems very finicky on Open-WRT but at least now I am up and running.

One other side note on build #462 my IPV6 did not work either, now on #463 it also worked with no changes to settings.

@kaloz

Linux 3.18.11 #1 SMP Thu Apr 23 22:38:47 UTC 2015 armv7l GNU/Linux
openwrt r45566
trunk

I'm using the New external overlay variant (pivot overlay) works fine.

This didn't work, sysupgrade -c didn't save anything from the pivot overlay.

root@AC1900:/tmp# sysupgrade -c openwrt-mvebu-armada-xp-linksys-mamba-squashfs-sysupgrade.tar

(Last edited by gufus on 24 Apr 2015, 06:16)

I flashed the @Kaloz 's new firmware then the router bricked .I cannot connect to the router.
The serveral LED is strange.
First the" power" and "esata" turned on ,then the "esata" turned off and "power " began to flash.after about 5 seconds the two legs are both on.
I tried the reset botton but it doesn't work at all.

julianbl wrote:
Kaloz wrote:

For those who were waiting for it, I've uploaded new snapshot builds for both the WRT1900AC (Mamba) and the WRT1200AC (Caiman) to https://downloads.openwrt.org/people/kaloz/

Hi Kaloz. I've just update to this build using LuCi gui and it got bricked! can't access the router anyway. Any ideas on how can i get it back without a serial tty?
If there isn't any other way, I can get a serial access... but I rather not.

Thanks in advanced!
Julián

Same happened to me. Couldn't recover using standard methods. Has ordered USB to TTL cable, as it seems the only way to recover it. :-/

P.S. I think the best way to update firmware is to flash back to LinkSys and update to the new Kaloz build. Sysupgrade doesn't work properly. In future will do only via this route.

(Last edited by Rafkat on 24 Apr 2015, 09:39)

Sorry, posts 4701 to 4700 are missing from our archive.