OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: Update on Linksys WRT1900AC support

The content of this topic has been archived between 16 Sep 2014 and 7 May 2018. Unfortunately there are posts – most likely complete pages – missing.

jklap wrote:

Updated to (custom) r45230 with the back-ported cpu idle patches-- no issues thus far.

Quick tests with iperf from MBP mid-2009 (ie no AC) baselined at ~43 MBits/sec before the latest wifi patches. Post-wifi patches it came in at ~55 MBits/sec and post cpu idle it's coming in at 75 MBits/sec. Plus, peaks post cpu idle are much higher-- 85/90 MBits/sec. Or in other words, I'm seeing an increase from roughly 10MB to 20MB/sec.

MBits/s or MB/s ? roll

@belliash

Could you please share your fstab file?
and also, did you install any specfic "FS" module or only have what came in the build?
I dont get it why my usb is not mounting...I believe the file system is ntfs

belliash wrote:
jklap wrote:

Updated to (custom) r45230 with the back-ported cpu idle patches-- no issues thus far.

Quick tests with iperf from MBP mid-2009 (ie no AC) baselined at ~43 MBits/sec before the latest wifi patches. Post-wifi patches it came in at ~55 MBits/sec and post cpu idle it's coming in at 75 MBits/sec. Plus, peaks post cpu idle are much higher-- 85/90 MBits/sec. Or in other words, I'm seeing an increase from roughly 10MB to 20MB/sec.

MBits/s or MB/s ? roll

As stated wink

Excuse my ignorance, I haven't read all the pages of the thread tongue

Brought a WRT1900AC today - looking to throw OpenWRT on it, wish to install additional packages such as OpenVPN etc...

Scouring through the thread, there's some issues with packages and bleeding edge trunk?

Also - is it currently possible to build a package using the OpenWRT image builder? missing patches?

(Last edited by jesus on 2 Apr 2015, 15:03)

alirz wrote:

@belliash

and also, did you install any specfic "FS" module or only have what came in the build?

I have not edited fstab. Just manually mounted a partition.
I needed to install an ext4 module.

alirz wrote:

@belliash

Model    Linksys WRT1900AC (Mamba)
Firmware Version    OpenWrt Chaos Calmer r45222 / LuCI (git-15.090.50849-576e235)
Kernel Version    3.18.10
Local Time    Thu Apr 2 07:59:41 2015
Uptime    2h 50m 47s
Load Average    0.00, 0.01, 0.05

I had to install and run usbreset.  File system is ext4.

Then it mounts ok.  But I can't install samba36-server.

root@GoldEyeEC:~# opkg update
Downloading http://downloads.openwrt.org/snapshots/trunk/mvebu/generic/packages/base/Packages.gz.
Updated list of available packages in /var/opkg-lists/chaos_calmer_base.
Downloading http://downloads.openwrt.org/snapshots/trunk/mvebu/generic/packages/packages/Packages.gz.
Updated list of available packages in /var/opkg-lists/chaos_calmer_packages.
Downloading http://downloads.openwrt.org/snapshots/trunk/mvebu/generic/packages/luci/Packages.gz.
Updated list of available packages in /var/opkg-lists/chaos_calmer_luci.
root@GoldEyeEC:~# opkg install samba36-server
Unknown package 'samba36-server'.
Collected errors:
* opkg_install_cmd: Cannot install package samba36-server.

samba36-client installs ok.

Is there a way to install samba36-server?

Tried the latest trunk now myself.

Firmware Version    OpenWrt Chaos Calmer r45222 / LuCI (git-15.090.50849-576e235)
Kernel Version    3.18.10

Packages are all installing fine.

Still seeing this on installing luci-app-sqm though:

RTNETLINK answers: Operation not supported   
RTNETLINK answers: No such file or directory
We have an error talking to the kernel

(Last edited by DavidMcWRT on 2 Apr 2015, 16:14)

belliash wrote:
alirz wrote:

@belliash

I have not edited fstab. Just manually mounted a partition.
I needed to install an ext4 module.

Oh ok.. YUP ext4 module was missing for me...I installed it and usb drive showed up now.
That module should be standard smile

@leitec

Managed just now to do a speedtest on 3.18 with cpuidle patch. Speed is comparable with rc6, although a bit slower (500Mbps).

nitroshift

I'm having an issue building a 4.0-based build but the 3.8 one works fine. (And with works fine I mean the build builds to the end, I am not talking about it not making a doorstop out of my router).

cat: /data/build/openwrt-wrt-1900ac-special/openwrt-45230/trunk/build_dir/target-arm_cortex-a9+vfpv3_uClibc-0.9.33.2_eabi/linux-mvebu/linux-4.0-rc6/arch/arm/boot/dts//armada-385-rd.dtb: No such file or directory

The only difference between the builds is :

echo Setting Kernel version to 4.0.
sed -i.bak s/KERNEL_PATCHVER:=3.18/KERNEL_PATCHVER:=4.0/ target/linux/mvebu/Makefile
rm -f target/linux/mvebu/Makefile.bak
stesmi@DeepSpaceNine:/data/build$ diff -uN openwrt-wrt-1900ac/config openwrt-wrt-1900ac-special/config
--- openwrt-wrt-1900ac/config   2015-04-02 01:05:00.344141469 +0200
+++ openwrt-wrt-1900ac-special/config   2015-04-02 15:10:00.373892023 +0200
@@ -57,7 +57,7 @@
 CONFIG_TARGET_ARCH_PACKAGES="mvebu"
 CONFIG_DEFAULT_TARGET_OPTIMIZATION="-Os -pipe -march=armv7-a -mtune=cortex-a9 -mfpu=vfpv3-d16"
 CONFIG_CPU_TYPE="cortex-a9+vfpv3"
-CONFIG_LINUX_3_18=y
+CONFIG_LINUX_4_0=y
 CONFIG_DEFAULT_base-files=y
 CONFIG_DEFAULT_busybox=y
 CONFIG_DEFAULT_dnsmasq=y
stesmi@DeepSpaceNine:/data/build$

(My build-script copies the .config into the newly fetched tree).

Both also do the following:

echo Making system use e2fsprogs 1.42.8 instead of 1.42.12 which is broken for ARM targets.
sed -i.bak 's/PKG_VERSION:=1.42.12/PKG_VERSION:=1.42.8/;s/PKG_MD5SUM:=68255f51be017a93f2f6402fab06c2bf/PKG_MD5SUM:=8ef664b6eb698aa6b733df59b17b9ed4/' package/utils/e2fsprogs/Makefile
rm -f package/utils/e2fsprogs/Makefile.bak

The -special dir is the one that handles the 4.0 build and the one without -special is the 3.8 one.

This is all using a fresh downloaded tree, not a grandfathered one. The only thing grandfathered here is the .config

If you want to see the .config, just let me know.

Thanx in advance.

// Stefan

(Last edited by stesmi on 2 Apr 2015, 19:29)

I have found another problem, maybe not related to platform.
When the router boots up with USB 3G modem plugged in, then it does not create /dev/ttyUSB* device nodes. I need to unplug and plug in again the modem. Anyone came across such problem or know a solution?

stesmi wrote:

I'm having an issue building a 4.0-based build but the 3.8 one works fine. (And with works fine I mean the build builds to the end, I am not talking about it not making a doorstop out of my router).

Dumb question, is there a reason you want to build a 3.18 image if you are also using 4.0? As others have mentioned 4.0 is faster. Why the need to keep two separate build environments?

belliash wrote:

I have found another problem, maybe not related to platform.
When the router boots up with USB 3G modem plugged in, then it does not create /dev/ttyUSB* device nodes. I need to unplug and plug in again the modem. Anyone came across such problem or know a solution?

I have a similar issue.  When it boots up it doesn't recognize my USB3 disk on USB3 port.
If I run usbreset it sees it and mounts it.

tusc wrote:
stesmi wrote:

Dumb question, is there a reason you want to build a 3.18 image if you are also using 4.0? As others have mentioned 4.0 is faster. Why the need to keep two separate build environments?

My build environment handles 3 different platforms for the various routers I own and have friends using my builds of.

Trusty 3700v2, 3700v4 and now two different ones for the WRT-1900AC.

It's so little work for me to build for both so I just thought "what the heck, I'll just toss that in there.". The only extra step is that I open 1 more screen and start the build-script for that one too, wait a little while and go right-arrow, enter (and possibly an extra enter if needed) on menuconfig. (my previous posts regarding replacing menuconfig with something equivalent would solve that issue as well as well as allow me to toss it on my TeamCity server).

I am actually not using the router right now, I planned on tossing the 4.0 build on it when it built, but now I'm going to try out the 3.8 one shortly to see any issues with my build until I can get 4.0 sorted.

There are no dumb questions, only dumb answers.

// Stefan

(Last edited by stesmi on 2 Apr 2015, 20:28)

stesmi wrote:

cat: /data/build/openwrt-wrt-1900ac-special/openwrt-45230/trunk/build_dir/target-arm_cortex-a9+vfpv3_uClibc-0.9.33.2_eabi/linux-mvebu/linux-4.0-rc6/arch/arm/boot/dts//armada-385-rd.dtb: No such file or directory

Are you using the default Armada XP/370 profile? I think perhaps the mvebu-specific patches for 4.0 don't have support for much beyond the WRT1900AC. So you should use the WRT1900AC-specific profile rather than the default that builds for all supported boards. That is what I've been using.

leitec wrote:
stesmi wrote:

Are you using the default Armada XP/370 profile? I think perhaps the mvebu-specific patches for 4.0 don't have support for much beyond the WRT1900AC. So you should use the WRT1900AC-specific profile rather than the default that builds for all supported boards. That is what I've been using.

Yes, actually I was. Switching it to the "Linksys WRT1900AC (Mamba)" profile.

Thanx!

EDIT: 45248 is now building

// Stefan

(Last edited by stesmi on 2 Apr 2015, 20:52)

jesus wrote:

Excuse my ignorance, I haven't read all the pages of the thread tongue

Brought a WRT1900AC today - looking to throw OpenWRT on it, wish to install additional packages such as OpenVPN etc...

Scouring through the thread, there's some issues with packages and bleeding edge trunk?

You may run into issues with this running the 4.0 Linux kernel (as many testers or self-builders on here are).

However, if you grab the latest trunk (3.18.10 kernel) and immediately install whatever packages you need you should be OK:
https://downloads.openwrt.org/snapshots … actory.img
(that link/file is automatically updated roughly daily with each trunk snapshot release).

Note, there's no graphical admin with the trunk builds.  You'll need to open a command window, then (on your computer's OS) type "telnet 192.168.1.1".  Then, when logged into the router, type:

opkg update
opkg install luci  (or luci-ssl for https access)
/etc/init.d/uhttpd start
/etc/init.d/uhttpd enable

Aside for a possible backport of the 4.0 cpu idle patches and the in-progress work on NFP (Marvell Network Fast Processing - accelerated forwarding and nat), I don't think there's anything major we're waiting on now.

jesus wrote:

Also - is it currently possible to build a package using the OpenWRT image builder? missing patches?

I have no idea about this myself; others with knowledge of this may be able to answer you.

(Last edited by DavidMcWRT on 2 Apr 2015, 21:12)

I've been keeping up with the nightly trunk for the last 3 days.

My upload speed has been 0.20mbps, which is 100 times slower than it should be D:

LAN<->WAN performance is terrible, and LAN<->LAN equally so.

Anyone else having this problem? I'm new to openwrt, I may have made some elementary mistake.

Link Satonaka wrote:

My upload speed has been 0.20mbps, which is 100 times slower than it should be D:

Anyone else having this problem? I'm new to openwrt, I may have made some elementary mistake.

Is it possible you are using the incorrect build (for the WRT1900ac I presume)?
Should be armada-xp-mamba.

grimley wrote:
Link Satonaka wrote:

Is it possible you are using the incorrect build (for the WRT1900ac I presume)?
Should be armada-xp-mamba.

Yes, I am using armada xp mamba.

Edit- I'm beginnig to suspect the issue is hardware (may have damaged cables when changing routers). I'll report back later.

After a reboot i see this in the system log about radio1. Though wifi on radio 1 seems to work fine

Thu Apr  2 17:45:57 2015 daemon.notice netifd: radio1 (1165): sh: bad number
Thu Apr  2 17:45:57 2015 daemon.notice netifd: radio1 (1165): Configuration file: /var/run/hostapd-phy1.conf

@nitroshift

I know you had built a custom image for me few days ago but at that time there was something wrong with the repo and some packages were not installable with opkg...as some others also had pointed out. Well that is now fixed in the current r45222 build.

i was just wondering that if you ever feel like making another custom build with the following packages i would really appreciate that. I promise im asking for the last time.  Thank you

luci-theme-openwrt
block-mount
kmod-fs-ext4
python-pip
ip
openssh-sftp-server
postfix

For me, setting the profile correctly made it build. Going to test it out shortly. 45248 is now built, both 3.18 and 4.0.

// Stefan

stesmi wrote:

For me, setting the profile correctly made it build. Going to test it out shortly. 45248 is now built, both 3.18 and 4.0.

// Stefan

Cool, glad it worked. Turns out the problem is one of the DTS files was renamed earlier this year (armada-385-rd.dts -> armada-388-rd.dts) so it's not found with 4.0. It shouldn't be too tough to fix for good, but for now interested 4.0 builders can just use the WRT1900AC profile.

nitroshift wrote:

@leitec

Managed just now to do a speedtest on 3.18 with cpuidle patch. Speed is comparable with rc6, although a bit slower (500Mbps).

nitroshift

Thanks for testing. With you and jklap reporting good results I went ahead and submitted it to openwrt-devel.