OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: Update on Linksys WRT1900AC support

The content of this topic has been archived between 16 Sep 2014 and 7 May 2018. Unfortunately there are posts – most likely complete pages – missing.

leitec wrote:

block_mount now uses ulog, a new logging API in libubox. It looks like it was added late in February (r44542) after the Feb. 14th image. Since libubox is part of the base system, Kaloz's image is going to have an older library that doesn't have that API.

RATS!

Just another reason to upgrade to trunk eh.

does anyone know why every time a kernel mod package update occurs, kmod-usb-storage-extras for the previous version disappears from the package page while every other kmod has both the old and the new version still available?

root@RIBEIRO_WRT:~# /etc/init.d/uhttpd start
/etc/rc.common: eval: line 1: /usr/sbin/px5g: not found

anyone know why I can't start uhttpd ?

tombo wrote:

To use Samba shares with Windows 7 some security options are to be modified:
Open Control Panel - Administrative Tools - Local Security Policy - Local Policies - Security Options
Set -> Network security: LAN Manager authentication level -> Send LM & NTLM responses
Minimum session security for NTLM SSP -> Disable Require 128-bit encryption

Before, I was getting „Network path was not found“ and after this modification, Samba share was accessible using Windows Explorer.

followed your instruction, still network path was not found.

is there a way i can check if samba is successfully configured and working on the router?

Check if mount is present in the Mounted File System list (System -> Mount Points).
Then, go to Status -> Processes. In the list, there should be these two:
/usr/sbin/smbd –D
/usr/sbin/nmbd –D
If present, Samba is running.

Additional checkpoints: http://wiki.openwrt.org/doc/howto/cifs.server

@haoster

You need to modify smb.conf and change the security from user to share.

nitroshift

Does anyone know why the following would be occurring and how to fix it:

root@OpenWRT:~# source /etc/easy-rsa/vars
/usr/sbin/whichopensslcnf: line 15: openssl: not found
  No /etc/easy-rsa/openssl.cnf file could be found
  Further invocations will fail
NOTE: If you run ./clean-all, I will be doing a rm -rf on /etc/easy-rsa/keys

Two days ago the source command worked fine with no errors and I was able to generate certificates.  However, after configuring openvpn (openssl) I had a few issues and figured it was due to configurations I had done.  I wasn't able to narrow down the issue, so I scrapped the vpn, reflashed the firmware, and began again... at which point I encountered this error.

Through some research, it was recommended the following would work (within ubuntu) but altering the line still caused errors:

(within vars)

export KEY_CONFIG=$EASY_RSA/openssl-1.0.0.cnf #<-This format works

Another posted the following is the issue within whichopensslcnf (openvpn forums) and recommended to delete the value:

(within whichopensslcnf)

[[:alnum:]]

While both in concert together do eliminate the original error, more errors are generated once you try to create the certificate authority.  Obviously something I did in between creating the vpn, scrapping it and reflashing that's causing the issue, but I'm at a loss as to what.  I do know when I first began the steps to create the vpn that I received an error either before installing openvpn-openssl or openvpn-easy-rsa about polarssl.  I removed the conflicting software and continue without issue, however after reflashing, and then reinstalling the aforementioned, I no longer receive an error about polarssl even though it's included in @kaloz's firmware (which is baffling...)

(Last edited by JW0914 on 15 Mar 2015, 15:26)

tombo wrote:

Check if mount is present in the Mounted File System list (System -> Mount Points).
Then, go to Status -> Processes. In the list, there should be these two:
/usr/sbin/smbd –D
/usr/sbin/nmbd –D
If present, Samba is running.

Additional checkpoints: http://wiki.openwrt.org/doc/howto/cifs.server

i check, there is no /usr/sbin/smbd –D and /usr/sbin/nmbd –D, how can i get them running?

After configuring Samba, did you press „Save & Apply“ or just „Save“?
Open System -> Startup. Check if there is Samba initscript with status „enabled“. Try buttons for starting Samba services and recheck.

wrtpat wrote:

Greetings OpenWRT community.  I've been lurking here, reading and learning, for some time.  I think it's time to jump into the fray.

I've built my own image from the latest trunk (R44464), and flashed it to the WRT1900AC.  All went as expected.

That is until I try to wirelessly connect my daily driver laptop, a MacBook Pro (late 2011) running Mac OS Yosemite 10.10.2
The MacBook connects ok, but then disconnects 25-30 seconds later.  Well, sort of disconnects.  It shows as "associated" but I can no longer access anything on the network.  Immediately after establishing the wireless connection, I can ping the default gw (ie. 192.168.1.1).  But 25-30 seconds later can no longer ping it.

The problem happens on both 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz.  And it only seems to happen when wireless security is in effect - either WPA2-PSK (AES) or WPA2-PSK (TKIP).  It doesn't happen if wireless security is turned off.

This same MacBook Pro is able to wirelessly connect to the following without any problem - using WPA2-PSK (TKIP);
- The exact same WRT1900AC hardware running the Linksys factory/OEM firmware.
- A NetGear R7000
- My old [before it died] WRT54G

So, I'm thinking this has to be a problem with either the latest trunk code, or the Marvell wireless drivers therein.

Has anyone out there run into this, and know how to fix it?
Anyone have any guidance on how to debug this?  Being so new to OpenWRT, I'm not "up" on the ins/outs of debugging in this environment, and would welcome any guidance.

BTW, as mentioned some pages back in this thread, I have done the following;

uci set wireless.@wifi-iface[0].disassoc_low_ack=0
uci set wireless.@wifi-iface[1].disassoc_low_ack=0
uci commit
wifi

It has not helped.

Thanks for any help.  And thanks to all those here who contribute.  Great stuff going on here.

I think I have a working solution for this.
Since making that post a few weeks back, I’ve been busy working on finding a solution to the problem.  I think I’ve got something worthy of analysis by the greater community.

Here goes…..

Mac OS (10.10.2 Yosemite in my case), for whatever reason, appears to re-auth/re-associate within approximately 25 seconds of initially associating.  Don’t know why (Apple logs would lead you to believe the Mac thinks you've roamed).  Specifically, the following can be seen in the Apple system log;

MM/DD/YY HH:MM:SS.sss AM kernel[0]: wl0: Roamed or switched channel, reason #8, bssid xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx

Even though there has been no channel change, and I have not roamed.... Oh well, it is what it is.

Anyway, long-story-short, it appears the Marvell driver isn’t generating a NL80211_CMD_FRAME_TX_STATUS event on xmiting a response to a reassociate request.  Thus, the reasssoc_resp_cb callback function (in hostapd’s ieee802_11.c) never gets driven, ultimately leading to the problem.

I’ve made the following simple change to the Marvel driver code -
filename = build_dir/target-arm_cortex-a9+vfpv3_uClibc-0.9.33.2_eabi/linux-mvebu/mwlwifi-10.2.6.1.p4-20141228/mwl_tx.c

Change line 398
from;
    if (ieee80211_is_assoc_resp(tr->wh.frame_control)) {
to;
    if (ieee80211_is_assoc_resp(tr->wh.frame_control) ||
        ieee80211_is_reassoc_resp(tr->wh.frame_control) ||
        ieee80211_is_auth(tr->wh.frame_control)) {

My MacBook now connects and stays connected… Yay!

I initially did the testing on R44464 trunk.
This morning, I integrated the change into a fresh build of latest trunk (R44783), and it seems to be working well there too.

Thought I would put it out there, for others in the greater community to test/consider/comment.
It's quite possible the change has implications for devices other than Mac.  Since I don't have access to every possible device type that someone might want to connect with, it would be good if others out there could give it a go and report findings.

(Last edited by wrtpat on 15 Mar 2015, 17:59)

Getting repeated errors with packages that use ssl...

for example, if wget is installed, the following is returned after trying to update lists or install/update other packages:

Collected errors:
* opkg_download: Failed to download http://downloads.openwrt.org/snapshots/ … mvebu.ipk, wget returned 255.
* opkg_install_pkg: Failed to download bind-host. Perhaps you need to run 'opkg update'?
* opkg_install_cmd: Cannot install package bind-host.

Uninstalling solves that, however it is now impossible to generate ssl certificates or certificate authorities via openssl.  Attempting to do so results in an error that openssl-1.0.0.cnf cannot be found (even though the file is in the root of $EASY-RSA, as is the original [openssl.cnf] within it's root folder of [/etc/ssl]).  Attempting to correct the issue by editing the whichopensslcnf script within /usr/sbin/ results in further pkitool errors.

Anyone know what the issue is?

@kaloz's fw from 2/14

(Last edited by JW0914 on 16 Mar 2015, 00:05)

@wrtpat,

Thanks for the info.  As an apple user, I really hope you are on to something.  smile

@wrtpat

>>This morning, I integrated the change into a fresh build of latest trunk (R44783), and it seems to be working well there too.

Does this mean that the latest trunk has this installed?

I have setup a 1TB USB 3.0 for use with SAMBA. 

From a wired connection I can write/read about ~ 1GB/minute.  That's good enough for my purposed.

However from a wifi connection to Windows 8.1 I get extremely slow performance with many timeouts and disconnects.

Other that WiFi works fine.  speedtest.net gives me about 35Mb/s on my connection that's advertised at 40Mb/s.  Webpages, video downloads, etc all work well, too.

Du..

How do I sync time with truunk? ntp won't work sad

r44747

config system
    option hostname 'AC1900'
    option conloglevel '8'
    option cronloglevel '8'
    option zonename 'America/Yellowknife'
    option timezone 'MST7MDT,M3.2.0,M11.1.0'

config timeserver 'ntp'
    option enabled '1'
    list server 'pool.ntp.org'
    option enable_server '1'

config led 'led_wan'
    option name 'WAN'
    option sysfs 'mamba:white:wan'
    option trigger 'netdev'
    option dev 'eth1'
    option mode 'link tx rx'
    option default '0'

config led 'led_usb2'
    option name 'USB2'
    option sysfs 'mamba:white:usb2'
    option trigger 'usbdev'
    option dev '1-1'
    option interval '50'
    option default '0'

config led 'led_usb3'
    option name 'USB3'
    option trigger 'usbdev'
    option interval '50'
    option sysfs 'mamba:white:usb3_2'
    option default '0'
    option dev '3-2'

(Last edited by gufus on 16 Mar 2015, 00:45)

can someone please tell me what rules do you see for DHCP under firewall > traffic rules
thanks

alirz wrote:

can someone please tell me what rules do you see for DHCP under firewall > traffic rules
thanks

I have been using fwbuilder for years now and am able to make sense of it where I can't make sense of iptables commands by themselves. I started with wrt54 and now am using it on my WRT1900AC. The output script from fwbuilder replaces the /etc/init.d/firewall script. The script I use works fairly well but I don't have ulogd working yet so I don't see the real-time iptables output like normal. Syslog worked fine until somewhere in Feb and has stopped working since then.

7f000001 wrote:

@wrtpat

>>This morning, I integrated the change into a fresh build of latest trunk (R44783), and it seems to be working well there too.

Does this mean that the latest trunk has this installed?

The short answer to your question is - no.  It's not in any publicly available image yet.

Sorry, I should have been more explicit about what I meant by "....fresh build of latest trunk".
Essentially, I've simply: git-cloned latest trunk in my own/local/private build environment, directly edited the source, compiled, generated an .img, and installed that locally generated .img onto my router.

Being very new to the OpenWrt community, I'm still woefully ignorant of "the process" of getting a patch moved thru the system, so that it may be merged into the main-line trunk by an authorized committer.  I'm in the process of reading up on that at the moment, and still have a lot to learn.  I'd love to hear any hints/tips from those experienced in the process.  Any & All mentoring is welcome.

Anyway, in the meantime, I thought I'd put it (the source code change) out there incase there's others who might be adventurous enough to give it a try in their own local build environments.

PS. I've managed to work thru the steps of using 'quilt' to generate a .patch file.  Now I just need to figure out what to do with it.

Running  CHAOS CALMER (Bleeding Edge, r44827)

no immediate lockups on 5ghz.

gufus wrote:

Du..

How do I sync time with truunk? ntp won't work sad

I could never get my clients to sync with sysntpd.

My fix: install ntpd (available as a package), edit ntp.conf as required, stop and disable sysntpd, then restart ntpd (and set enabled).

After three evenings trying to get samba working, there is still no luck. The usb harddrive connected to the usb port of the router remains inaccessible through network.
Could anyone please upload an image or tell me where I can download one which contains all the necessary packages for samba to work(use out of the box), with decent performance and reasonable stability?
Thanks in advance.

wrtpat wrote:

Being very new to the OpenWrt community, I'm still woefully ignorant of "the process" of getting a patch moved thru the system, so that it may be merged into the main-line trunk by an authorized committer.  I'm in the process of reading up on that at the moment, and still have a lot to learn.  I'd love to hear any hints/tips from those experienced in the process.  Any & All mentoring is welcome.

Anyway, in the meantime, I thought I'd put it (the source code change) out there incase there's others who might be adventurous enough to give it a try in their own local build environments.

PS. I've managed to work thru the steps of using 'quilt' to generate a .patch file.  Now I just need to figure out what to do with it.

It depends on where trunk is pulling the mwlwifi driver from, there is Kaloz repo and then the repo below.  I believe you would want to submit your change to both.  You do this by forking their branches, then pulling this fork code down to local making your change, then you commit then push the change.  After this you can submit a pull request, this pull request is the please integrate this to master.
https://github.com/openwrt-mirror/openw … el/mwlwifi

In the meantime someone will have to build your image and release it on some level of frequency to keep things near latest.  To allow people to test this glorious change of yours.

(Last edited by jmschu02 on 16 Mar 2015, 16:29)

@wrtpat

I've pulled the latest from git and incorporated your patch to that image. I really hope it fixes the problem!

lifehacksback wrote:

@wrtpat

I've pulled the latest from git and incorporated your patch to that image. I really hope it fixes the problem!

can you publish the build? I have a macmini 2012 that crashes in 30 seconds after connecting to wifi i'd love to test.

Want to try the latest trunk image (Mar. 14). Installed OK. Have WAN access via LAN. Can't Telnet in. Connection refused. SSH via root and no password not working either. Thx for your assistance.